Phuket Opinion: Hold the icy judgments of police volunteers

Lite Beer

"However, the vast majority of Tourist Police volunteers we have interviewed or otherwise interacted with over the years have appeared to be well-intended and selfless."

Did you interview Mr. Halpin?

Lindisfarne said it years ago:

a crooked cop is just an undertaker,

who undertakes to be a friend.

To which I add ... they're certainly not likely to advertise the fact.

But hey, the guy's not had his day in court yet. Anything's possible in murky LOS.coffee1.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His role "had rightly ended before his arrest" then why is his picture still up on the Thai Police Volunteers website??? I mean like April was 9 months ago.

I'm just guessing, but I have a feeling he continued to work as a volunteer and just overlooked or didn't bother to renew his "license" earlier this year. I doubt admin is a particular strength for that kind of thing. Now that this has blown up, the RTP can legitimately claim that he hasn't been a volunteer for a while, when the reality is that he was working as normal up to his arrest.

Just speculation, but it does explain how come a number of people have seen him working, when the RTP state his license wasn't renewed.

One correction should be made to this article. Stein Dokset was never a Tourist Police Volunteer. He did attended a safety and awareness seminar along with 250 other bikers during bike week in 2008 which taught things like how to be a good witness, assist at accident scenes, and some basic first aid. There was no application process, no uniform, no events to work, and attendees are granted no authority. The Highway Police do not have a foreign volunteer program like the Tourist Police, Immigration Police and Region 8 Police do. At the completion of the seminar all attendees are issued a "Big Bike Highway Police Volunteer" ID card.

One correction should be made to this article. Stein Dokset was never a Tourist Police Volunteer. He did attended a safety and awareness seminar along with 250 other bikers during bike week in 2008 which taught things like how to be a good witness, assist at accident scenes, and some basic first aid. There was no application process, no uniform, no events to work, and attendees are granted no authority. The Highway Police do not have a foreign volunteer program like the Tourist Police, Immigration Police and Region 8 Police do. At the completion of the seminar all attendees are issued a "Big Bike Highway Police Volunteer" ID card.

The point is Joe, he ran around telling everyone he was a police volunteer. Why did he do this? Because he wanted to be known as a policeman. Exactly why this program of allowing foreigners to play dress ups and annoy tourists should be disbanded. It attracts wanna be's, and not people trying to help tourists.

I think Joe's point is, ANYONE can BS and say they are a TPV. You don't even have to go to a safety awareness seminar to be able to do that. They can make up a fake ID at home and go around saying they are some sort of TPV. They may even say how they go on raids with the police and catch big drug dealers and peadophiles etc. The sky is the limit for their BS. This doesn't mean they REALLY are anything.

I got into a minor verbal altercation with a big noting and BS'ing expat here a while ago. No violence involved. I just had enough of his BS and told him so.

His big line to me during this verbal altercation was, "I own a bar here." I must admit, he got me on that one. I had no reply, because I was too busy laughing. smile.png

After I composed myself, I said something like, "I would have believed you twice as much if you said you owned two bars here" then paid my bill, finished my drink, and left the bar. smile.png

Memories of that conversation still bring a smile to my face. The tone in which he said it to me was, like, owning a bar here makes him someone important, with credibility, and/or wise. smile.png

Many expats here want to feel somehow "connected" to people in power, like police, or more knowledgeable than the next guy on all things Thai, particularly in relation to how the bar girls operate. These are your attention and acceptance seekers, or "wanna be's" as you call them.

Thailand, and therefore Phuket, attracts all sorts - hey, I'm here, but I'm the first to admit I'm always learning here. Probably because the BS, crimes and scams here are always evolving. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

The point is Joe, he ran around telling everyone he was a police volunteer. Why did he do this? Because he wanted to be known as a policeman. Exactly why this program of allowing foreigners to play dress ups and annoy tourists should be disbanded. It attracts wanna be's, and not people trying to help tourists.

I think Joe's point is, ANYONE can BS and say they are a TPV. You don't even have to go to a safety awareness seminar to be able to do that. They can make up a fake ID at home and go around saying they are some sort of TPV. They may even say how they go on raids with the police and catch big drug dealers and peadophiles etc. The sky is the limit for their BS. This doesn't mean they REALLY are anything.

I got into a minor verbal altercation with a big noting and BS'ing expat here a while ago. No violence involved. I just had enough of his BS and told him so.

His big line to me during this verbal altercation was, "I own a bar here." I must admit, he got me on that one. I had no reply, because I was too busy laughing. smile.png

After I composed myself, I said something like, "I would have believed you twice as much if you said you owned two bars here" then paid my bill, finished my drink, and left the bar. smile.png

Memories of that conversation still bring a smile to my face. The tone in which he said it to me was, like, owning a bar here makes him someone important, with credibility, and/or wise. smile.png

Many expats here want to feel somehow "connected" to people in power, like police, or more knowledgeable than the next guy on all things Thai, particularly in relation to how the bar girls operate. These are your attention and acceptance seekers, or "wanna be's" as you call them.

Thailand, and therefore Phuket, attracts all sorts - hey, I'm here, but I'm the first to admit I'm always learning here. Probably because the BS, crimes and scams here are always evolving. smile.pngsmile.png

See and that's what strikes me as odd. Guys who will tell you they know colonel Somsak of Chalong police, because their wife is friends of them. In their homelands no one would admit to knowing any police. Nor would they harp on about it in a pub. Nor would people in their homeland become a volunteer policeman.

I see it like this. A lot of guys here aren't really men. They get into trouble and then can't sort it out man to man. So they hide behind their wives/girlfriends skirts. Or they want to ring General Somsak or whoever they think they know. Because they are too chicken s#*t to sort it out themselves.

The same applies to TVP's they are hiding behind that 'police' image. To me they aren't men. Just scared little boys with what they think is a little bit of power.

You think Halpin would be standing over people in New Zealand? The Maori gangs would eat him alive to put it mildly.

I see it like this. A lot of guys here aren't really men. They get into trouble and then can't sort it out man to man. So they hide behind their wives/girlfriends skirts. Or they want to ring General Somsak or whoever they think they know. Because they are too chicken s#*t to sort it out themselves.

And these men carry baseball bats in their cars and brandish them at anyone expressing displeasure with their driving habits. Yes, that is very, very brave and "manly" indeed.

I agree. This is a problem caused by many of the kind of people that leave their home country and choose to live here. The volunteers I know (the real ones) are well trained and experienced in law enforcement, far more so than any Thai policemen, and get absolutely nothing in compensation for their service. No money, no special treatment for their business (the ones I know don't have businesses here) nothing. Most of them are good people doing outstanding work.

Edited by NomadJoe

And these men carry baseball bats in their cars and brandish them at anyone expressing displeasure with their driving habits. Yes, that is very, very brave and "manly" indeed.

Well you never know when you could be out numbered by Thai gangs, people of the 3rd gender or groups of Russians Joe. Better to be like the cub scouts and be prepared. I would hardly jump on the phone and try to ring the TVP'S. What would their response time be? The guy that hangs around Chalong police station doesn't even speak English.

Well you never know when you could be out numbered by Thai gangs, people of the 3rd gender or groups of Russians Joe. Better to be like the cub scouts and be prepared. I would hardly jump on the phone and try to ring the TVP'S. What would their response time be? The guy that hangs around Chalong police station doesn't even speak English.

He's not a TPV either, and he does speak English, but not fluently.

Sorry for us mere mortals on this island if I see a farang man dressed up as a policeman I presume that they are all unpaid. Am I correct? As they are unpaid they have no real powers. Am I correct? It is safe to say then they are volunteers. Am I correct?

So basically, whether they are high speed super highway cops, or drugs squad, or doing the beat outside Chalong police station. They are all referred to as TVP's by me and the other expats/people on long term holiday.

See and that's what strikes me as odd. Guys who will tell you they know colonel Somsak of Chalong police, because their wife is friends of them. In their homelands no one would admit to knowing any police. Nor would they harp on about it in a pub. Nor would people in their homeland become a volunteer policeman.

The same applies to TVP's they are hiding behind that 'police' image. To me they aren't men. Just scared little boys with what they think is a little bit of power.

You think Halpin would be standing over people in New Zealand? The Maori gangs would eat him alive to put it mildly.

"Guys who will tell you they know colonel Somsak of Chalong police" - i have personally had a conversation with an Australian guy who thinks he CAN own land here because he is buying the land off a police officer here, whom he considers a friend, who told him he will "take care of it" for him. No joke.

"So they hide behind their wives/girlfriends skirts." - don't get me started on the, "I get the Missus to do it" crowd. They are hopeless.

I met a guy in a bar a while back. Whilst having a drink, he gave 1000 baht to his partner (I didn't know if it was his wife, defacto or girlfriend) to go and buy him a T-Shirt from the market. She went away and came back with a shirt about 30 minutes later. This was a 100 baht or 200 baht shirt - at best. He liked the shirt and asked her much it cost, she said 500 baht and handed him back 500 baht change. What could I say to him? :)

The best one is the younger farang guys getting tattoos with Thai writing or of religious meanings. They have no clue of the true translation or meaning of the words or symbols. They are just try hard Thai wanna be's.

A lot guys like those mentioned above will either lose all their money here, and have to return to their home country, or, turn to crime as a method of still being able to live here.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that they are an immigrant here, and most likely will ALWAYS viewed that way?

Mmmm, the "better to be visited in gaol than visited in the cemetary" argument.

It recently worked for the young Australian guy where all the taxi drivers were beating him up outside a hotel, until he pulled a gun. I'm not sure if he is still in the country though. :) :)

Mmmm, the "better to be visited in gaol than visited in the cemetary" argument.

It recently worked for the young Australian guy where all the taxi drivers were beating him up outside a hotel, until he pulled a gun. I'm not sure if he is still in the country though. :) :)

Yeah at least that guy had the nuts to actually confront them when he had a problem. The TVP'S only harass foreigners.

NKM-you're going Bangtaoboy on us with the multiple posts in a row, four I counted after one of IrishIvan's. Put the thoughts together on a Word Doc and make one post on all you're thinking about. My ADD doesn't allow me to read all those posts in a row from the same poster..........

Just this morning a pal of mine was telling me a Scottish or Irish guy claiming to be TVP in Patong pulled up on him at breakfast and asked if he could sit down. This alone seems sort of odd, I mean do you pull up on strangers at breakfast and ask if you can sit with them?

Then as my friend related the guy started just blathering on, in the end asked for my friend's phone number....(?????). My friend is not female and hot, quite the opposite grouchy and crusty like me, so even a gay dude would not be interested.

Sounds like the beginnings of some scam attempt to me. Or I guess if innocent, someone looking for friends.....strange anyway.

NKM-you're going Bangtaoboy on us with the multiple posts in a row, four I counted after one of IrishIvan's. Put the thoughts together on a Word Doc and make one post on all you're thinking about. My ADD doesn't allow me to read all those posts in a row from the same poster..........

Just this morning a pal of mine was telling me a Scottish or Irish guy claiming to be TVP in Patong pulled up on him at breakfast and asked if he could sit down. This alone seems sort of odd, I mean do you pull up on strangers at breakfast and ask if you can sit with them?

Then as my friend related the guy started just blathering on, in the end asked for my friend's phone number....(?????). My friend is not female and hot, quite the opposite grouchy and crusty like me, so even a gay dude would not be interested.

Sounds like the beginnings of some scam attempt to me. Or I guess if innocent, someone looking for friends.....strange anyway.

Thanks GOM. I removed a duplicate post.

It sounds like the Socttish or Irish guy is a conman. Probably looking to build up the confidence and trust of the victim before trying to sell him something, or borrow money.

Thanks GOM. I removed a duplicate post.

It sounds like the Socttish or Irish guy is a conman. Probably looking to build up the confidence and trust of the victim before trying to sell him something, or borrow money.

+1 thumbsup.gif Agreed

• Like 1

For the volunteers who think they're held in high regard by the locals don't kid yourselves.

A couple of years ago I was traveling with a bus load of senior public servants, C8 and above, on their way to a conference up near that other popular tourist place. These were a mix of public servants from all over Thaiand.

On passing a road checkpoint manned by police and farang volunteers, the bus filled with very derogatory comments and jokes about the police wannabe farangs.

@ IrishIvan

"As they are unpaid they have no real powers. Am I correct?" - I believe they have the power to make a citizens arrest, as we all do, if we see a crime being committed.

Yes it's the same all over the world with citizens arrest laws. But the Phuket volunteers just annoy farang. I see multiple crimes being committed by Thais every night on Bangla. I don't see the super cops apprehending anyone. Why is this? Because they are scared, they are pretenders. They want to assert their powers to farang, but chicken out when a Thai is involved. As my Dad always said 'you can dress crap up anyway you want son, but you can't make pavlova out of bull s**t'. Edited by IrishIvan

@ IrishIvan

"As they are unpaid they have no real powers. Am I correct?" - I believe they have the power to make a citizens arrest, as we all do, if we see a crime being committed.

Yes it's the same all over the world with citizens arrest laws. But the Phuket volunteers just annoy farang. I see multiple crimes being committed by Thais every night on Bangla. I don't see the super cops apprehending anyone. Why is this? Because they are scared, they are pretenders. They want to assert their powers to farang, but chicken out when a Thai is involved. As my Dad always said 'you can dress crap up anyway you want son, but you can't make pavlova out of bull s**t'.

Your post reminds me of a Steve Martin (American comedian) movie "The Jerk".

White kid's black father giving him fatherly advice as he's leaving for the big world "son, this is sh*t, and this is shinola, got it (?) sh*t..........shinola".

• Like 1

Sorry for us mere mortals on this island if I see a farang man dressed up as a policeman I presume that they are all unpaid. Am I correct? As they are unpaid they have no real powers. Am I correct? It is safe to say then they are volunteers. Am I correct?

So basically, whether they are high speed super highway cops, or drugs squad, or doing the beat outside Chalong police station. They are all referred to as TVP's by me and the other expats/people on long term holiday.

Whether they are paid or not does not determine what "powers" they have. As NKM correctly stated, citizens arrest laws (badly named as you don't actually need to be a citizen) here are the same as most western countries. In addition, when a non-sworn person, whether that person is paid or a volunteer, foreign or Thai, or just an average Joe/Somchai is directed by a sworn police officer to assist that officer, that officers powers are extended to the person he directs. This concept is referred to as "posse comitatus." A police officers powers are actually not that dissimilar to a normal persons. The main advantage police officers have is they can detain a person in order to investigate a crime if they are not sure of the circumstances.

His role "had rightly ended before his arrest" then why is his picture still up on the Thai Police Volunteers website??? I mean like April was 9 months ago.

I'm just guessing, but I have a feeling he continued to work as a volunteer and just overlooked or didn't bother to renew his "license" earlier this year. I doubt admin is a particular strength for that kind of thing. Now that this has blown up, the RTP can legitimately claim that he hasn't been a volunteer for a while, when the reality is that he was working as normal up to his arrest.

Just speculation, but it does explain how come a number of people have seen him working, when the RTP state his license wasn't renewed.

Just saw your post. The RTP (Royal Thai Police) in Chalong where Garry was essentially freelancing are not connected to the Tourist Police in Phuket Town. The Tourist Police actually fall under the Sports and Tourism Ministry whereas the RTP fall under the Interior Ministry. That's why, for example, the Tourist Police cars have normal license plates, not police plates. The Tourist Police are the ones that said he wasn't renewed.

The Tourist Police say they didn't renew him, probably because they were hearing things about him like the rest of us, but he apparently continued working on his own with the RTP in Chalong. I know a lot of foreign volunteers are happy is gone. It's just sad he had to damage the reputation of all volunteers in the process.

@ IrishIvan

Yes it's the same all over the world with citizens arrest laws. But the Phuket volunteers just annoy farang. I see multiple crimes being committed by Thais every night on Bangla. I don't see the super cops apprehending anyone. Why is this? Because they are scared, they are pretenders. They want to assert their powers to farang, but chicken out when a Thai is involved. As my Dad always said 'you can dress crap up anyway you want son, but you can't make pavlova out of bull s**t'.

Well, there was the TPV arrest of a Thai slow loris vendor, on Bangla Road, a little while ago. Granted, it's rare, but it did happen.

Let's be honest, statistically, not all of the TPV will be on an ego trip. Some will have good intentions, and those ones deserve to remain, whilst the other ones should be weeded out.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ NJ

I agree.

A "citizen" can make an arrest, but has no power to "stop, search and detain" and no power to "question and investigate."

These things are the role of sworn police officers.

TPV's use this citizen's arrest clause in the law to actually make an arrest. We are all able to do the same.

The fact that they wear a uniform is so they can be identified by tourists and can be approached by them to ask for directions etc etc. Also, to assist in translating.

I had mentioned earlier that many nationalities of tourists that come here do not trust the police from their home country, therefore, are the same when they come here.

Perhaps, renaming them to "Tourist Assistant Volunteers" would take away the fear factor of many tourists, and also stop the volunteers themselves from demanding any gratuity, or corrupt payment, from anyone, because they are displaying the world "police" on their uniform.

Edited by NamKangMan

Whether they are paid or not does not determine what "powers" they have. As NKM correctly stated, citizens arrest laws (badly named as you don't actually need to be a citizen) here are the same as most western countries. In addition, when a non-sworn person, whether that person is paid or a volunteer, foreign or Thai, or just an average Joe/Somchai is directed by a sworn police officer to assist that officer, that officers powers are extended to the person he directs. This concept is referred to as "posse comitatus." A police officers powers are actually not that dissimilar to a normal persons. The main advantage police officers have is they can detain a person in order to investigate a crime if they are not sure of the circumstances.

How many arrests have you racked up? Thai and farang?

Just saw your post. The RTP (Royal Thai Police) in Chalong where Garry was essentially freelancing are not connected to the Tourist Police in Phuket Town. The Tourist Police actually fall under the Sports and Tourism Ministry whereas the RTP fall under the Interior Ministry. That's why, for example, the Tourist Police cars have normal license plates, not police plates. The Tourist Police are the ones that said he wasn't renewed.

The Tourist Police say they didn't renew him, probably because they were hearing things about him like the rest of us, but he apparently continued working on his own with the RTP in Chalong. I know a lot of foreign volunteers are happy is gone. It's just sad he had to damage the reputation of all volunteers in the process.

So you heard about Halpin but didn't do anything. Makes you kinda guilty doesn't it?

I tell you what the TVP'S need is a full mental assessment by a qualified Thai psychiatrist. They need a police background check from their home country to prove they aren't rock spiders or drug dealers. Lastly they need to not carry any handcuffs, takers or any military combat boots. They must appear like helpers and not police. That will weed out about 3/4 of the tvp force. From my experience that is the correct ratio

Be under no illusion the Phuket Tourist Police and the volunteers who worked with Halpin knew exactly what he was up to. If they didn't they should be made resign. I believe he was a topic of conversation on many occasions with the Hon Consuls with regards to shaking down tourists. He was brash and brazen because he thought he was a protected species. Many reported him but nothing was done. He lived a life of plenty with no apparent income? Prior to working with the Volunteers he barely scraped a living.

What crap.

Garry was part owner of a dive business in Chalong.

I do notknow if he is still involved, but presumes so.

@ IrishIvan

This simply is not true. You made multiple posts where you were of course highly critical of the volunteers in the very thread about the time when Wal and a couple of the Region 8 volunteers confronted the Thai iguana tout after the tout intentionally bumped them, flouting his illegal activity in front of them. I really think you don't have any idea what you think, but simply have problems with anyone in authority. You were even moaning about Aussie police in another thread recently.

I have seen volunteers step in just in time to physically extricate a drunk tourist acting all tough that was about to get a trouncing by several Thai's, I know of other occasions where foreign volunteers have arrested Thai's that have victimized a foreigner, including the paperwork, even gone hands on with Thai's. I think we can all agree that do so needs to be done prudently though, under the right conditions.

• Like 1