NEED HELP! Homless today (in Bangkok), want to go to Ban-in Jai shelter

awilson11

As of today, i'm out of funds and out of luck until the first. With a bit of googleing, i'm able to find out about the homeless shelter in bangkok called Baninjai, however whenever i ask around to my hotel personel (i can't speak any Thai), or my taxi driver, they've never heard of it, and the phonenumber (a 080 cellular number) no longer works. What should i do? I need some serious help.

the info i got for Ban In-Jai homless shelter is as follows, but i need an address and contact number to call before i check out today:

Ban In-Jai (080)915-1009

Waterworks Authority at Mansri (that i'm being told is actually pronounced: Man-tree, not Man-shree, as in the Buddhist Bodhisattva, Manjusri) Intersection

Pomprap Sattruphai - Patipat Janthong.

When 12pm today clicks on by, i'll be in a taxi...but with litteraly only the money to pay him, nomoney at all till the first.

--

On the bright side of this whole situation, i;m not completely out of it, I have my last deposit coming in on Jan 2nd.

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an article on it. http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/11/new-shelter-for-the-homeless-in-bangkok/

I have always wondered what happens about the homeless in Thailand. In the West there are shelters and soup kitchens to help them, but I’ve never heard of anything similar in Thailand. Then yesterday came news that the BMA has opened a home for people who have no-where to sleep at night. It’s called Ban Im-Jai and is next to the Waterworks Authority at Mansri Intersection.

However, another article says in order to be able to stay you have to be a Thai national and have no significant history of drug abuse or criminal activity.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/news/homeless-shelter-opens-in-pomprap-sattruphai-district

Hopefully the OP,will budget more prudently,on his planned return next year.

He has known in advance,his funds would arrive on 2nd January.

He has simply over spent.

Easily done in the heat of the moment,in Pattaya,Bangkok.

Potless in Bangkok,will give him a story to tell,on his return home.

Check out his previous posts.

Potless (having no money) info for non native English speakers.

Edited by Hedghog

On the bright side of this whole situation, i;m not completely out of it, I have my last deposit coming in on Jan 2nd.

Wonderful! Then we can expect you to fly home?

Well, I can see how the spirit of Christmas is not lost on you! I do loathe these 'farang go home if you're out of money' posts. What the hell has it to do with any of you? angry.png

Don't see what the spirit of Christmas has got to do with it, OP was talking about flippantly going into a Buddhist temple and requesting a stay. Also loathing is a strong word for what is really sensible advice, given albeit with a touch of sarcasm. Lastly it has to do with any member who wants to comment on a post where another member has requested assistance. I don't know where the homeless shelter is but it seemed to me from the OP that he has the address just not in Thai, and as has now been pointed out, he is not eligible anyway. My advice for him is to get ready for a really tough week, unless someone is prepared to let him sleep on their floor, that would be the spirit of Christmas. He can sleep on mine but he needs money to get here and its cold.

'Spirit of Christmas' is merely a saying which implies one is acting with charity/compassion and refers to the lamentable lack thereof by certain posters here by stupidly parroting this phrase. How does the plight of this man in any way affect him? Nothing more than a show of derision dry.png

The rest of your post is stupidly irrelevant to the one line 'if you've no money, go home [sic]' post.blink.png

BTW Western Union thumbsup.gif

Edited by jpeg

Go to any temple, you can stay free and eat.good luck!

I'm going to the Temple now. lit right now...hopefully I'll pwn them w/ my auspicious Damma, and can be a monk for a week.

You can go to a temple and request a temporary stay, which more than likely will come at their request of your following the 5 precepts - doesn't necessarily mean they will grant it though, especially if you are in Bangkok. Other than that, I wouldn't expect too much.

You can't speak thai and will probably be perceived s some foreigner trying to get a free ride, the monk for a week is already out of the question, it involves preparation of chant procedure as well as knowledge about one is getting oneself into (but I assume you were joking about that).

'Pwn them' with your 'auspicious damma'?? Really? A tasteless joke like that may fly wth your English speaking friends but definitely not in a temple.

Good luck though and whenever your deposit comes in you should be able to relax.

I think going to a temple to practice Dhamma is a good idea. But get a bus out of Bangkok and find one in a smaller city close by. Maybe Ayutaya.

Sorry I can't assist with the info you need, however you might want to see if you can pawn goods to raise enough cash for a very cheap tent and sleeping bag and the train fare (maybe free in 3rd class) to somewhere outside the major tourist areas. Once there go visit a temple and ask the abbot if you can pitch a tent and stay there. Don't worry about the food, no one in Thailand will starve if they accept the food whenever it is offered.

Good luck.

• Like 1