NEED HELP! Homless today (in Bangkok), want to go to Ban-in Jai shelter

awilson11

Was here on holiday a few years ago when i received news of a death in the family. Etihad flew me back to the UK, a week earlier than my scheduled flight and at no extra charge. Maybe the OP could call the airline, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by lucifer666

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago there was an Aussie guy outside the 7/11 on Sukhumvit Soi 3 shouting and screaming he had no money, no food, etc. and was starving. In all fairness he did seem to be down on his luck judging by the way he was dressed. Everybody was giving him a wide berth so I spoke with him and offered to take him to get some food but he refused and just wanted baht.

Eventually, after constantly refusing my offer a free meal I gave him 500 baht. Scam, drugs, drink or whatever, one thing was obvious, that this guy had pretty much hit rock bottom. No idea what happened to him as I never saw him again?

Another attempted Scam to get money............Go Home, if you're not

wanted by the police in your Country......sick of this Bull Sh.t........

coffee1.gif That a boy Gramps! coffee1.gif

You tell him. Nobody but nobody ever pulls the wool over your eyes. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thanks for reminding me at least, why death's got a better ring to it than dishonour rammed up the ass again. For what might really be a simple request for information. (If only we all live up the the Bush standards and be so perfect).

You are during the best time of the year to find a FREE Buddhist retreat in Bangkok. In some you can stay up to 30 days, in some on countryside, you can camping for the time you want, and always are free meals and a lot of nice Thai people around. Just go to any temple, find a monk speaking your language, and ask for info and directions.....or just explain your situation. You will only not just resolve your temporary problem, you may find good advise and energy for the new year coming.

Good luck. Be safe.

• Like 1

Sorry. Now I know waht happened. That wasn't need baht, it was bath and you were gone when I came back.facepalm.gif

A few months ago there was an Aussie guy outside the 7/11 on Sukhumvit Soi 3 shouting and screaming he had no money, no food, etc. and was starving. In all fairness he did seem to be down on his luck judging by the way he was dressed. Everybody was giving him a wide berth so I spoke with him and offered to take him to get some food but he refused and just wanted baht.

Eventually, after constantly refusing my offer a free meal I gave him 500 baht. Scam, drugs, drink or whatever, one thing was obvious, that this guy had pretty much hit rock bottom. No idea what happened to him as I never saw him again?

On the bright side of this whole situation, i;m not completely out of it, I have my last deposit coming in on Jan 2nd.

Wonderful! Then we can expect you to fly home?

Well, I can see how the spirit of Christmas is not lost on you! I do loathe these 'farang go home if you're out of money' posts. What the hell has it to do with any of you? angry.png

Everyone told me to go home 14 years ago when I had no money. It was annoying. Better off here with no money than there.

Today, I have no money too but different circumstances. Bought a house this year and lots of things I could cut back on if required, like private schooling for my kids and my extravagant eating habits.

How about a whip around, I'd be willing to throw in a hundred baht or so. It is the season of goodwill after all. I know what it's like to be hungry. Good luck.

Count me in.

• Like 1

To the people here critical (bitchy) about this man's situation, you are being dicks. Just because he is out of money does not mean that he is a bad person, nor does it mean that it is entirely his fault. Anyone can run into bad luck in their life. Try a measure of sympathy.

OK. Why is he out of money? I'd like to hear the story.

You really should approach your Embassy and explain yourself to them and request they send you home.

Please do not come back unless you have the means to support yourself.

The next time you’re considering to travel to Thailand - unless you have a company in Thailand or pension that supports long stays - you should consider what money you have and how long your able to stay and make a time management plan that supports yourself instead of trying to work the system all the way until your reliant on others to care for your basic needs such as your search for homeless shelter.

Do you really think you’re a candidate for being looked after at the homeless shelter ? - you have been spending your funds and know full well how long you can last in Thailand with the money you have in your pocket. Why should others jump in to care for you - are you disabled ? - did this monetary dilemma occur as circumstance ?

On the bright side of this whole situation, i;m not completely out of it, I have my last deposit coming in on Jan 2nd.

Well, I can see how the spirit of Christmas is not lost on you! I do loathe these 'farang go home if you're out of money' posts. What the hell has it to do with any of you? angry.png

How about you being Santa for a few days till his money arrives and give him shelter??

Sorry. Now I know waht happened. That wasn't need baht, it was bath and you were gone when I came back.facepalm.gif

To be honest a person down on their luck should be helped - but contrary in this case the man is obviously here for reasons other than retirement or work. He should go home and consider carefully his next trip to LOS and how long he can last with his next pocket full of money.

What to do! Oh me oh my. First, make yourself presentable and well groomed. Second, stay out of the sun and get as white as possible. Third, go to the hi-so districts of Bangkok, where the expensive stores are. Fourth, find a Chinese -Thai hi-so woman or funny-boy, they will be chubby and pale white and drive expensive cars. Hook up and marry the sugar mamma before you get too old and replaceable. Good luck mate.

You really should approach your Embassy and explain yourself to them and request they send you home.

Please do not come back unless you have the means to support yourself.

The next time you’re considering to travel to Thailand - unless you have a company in Thailand or pension that supports long stays - you should consider what money you have and how long your able to stay and make a time management plan that supports yourself instead of trying to work the system all the way until your reliant on others to care for your basic needs such as your search for homeless shelter.

Do you really think you’re a candidate for being looked after at the homeless shelter ? - you have been spending your funds and know full well how long you can last in Thailand with the money you have in your pocket. Why should others jump in to care for you - are you disabled ? - did this monetary dilemma occur as circumstance ?

I think you will find that the majority of embassies will do nothing to help the OP's situation. They tend to shy away from issues like this.

I've not read ALL posts, so I may have missed something. But I’d be really interested to hear the backstory to this post. Does it involve drink/drugs? Bargirls? Marriage breakdown? If not it’d be even more interesting, so please OP, let’s hear it.

I narrowly avoided being "potless" on my first LOS trip (3 months long). I was relying on a refund from the tax people to tie me over between “deposits”. Unfortunately the tax people decided to renew their software at that point. It took weeks, and I was literally down to my last satangs in Chiang Mai when it finally came through, and so I avoided the exquisite experience of temporarily at least having no fixed abode in LOS.

But even then I’d have gone cap in hand to a friend/family member for 200 euros for goodness sake. 200 euros/$’ll go a long way … 300/nite KSR, with brekkies. 200/day max street food. A book, and Phra Arthit Park, with physical jerks in the evening. Nowadays I always keep a minimum 40k miles on my FF card to make sure I’ve at least got a ticket out if hit-the-fan.gif

Come on OP, what happened? What’s happening?

I love the "it should only cost you 5,000 or 8,000 baht" to make out the next week. Not sure if you posters truly understand the meaning of "no money". It means YOU HAVE NO MONEY.......which means you can not buy a noodle soup at 7/11 for 6 baht.

Several years ago had an American Vietnam Vet staying at the guest house. Beginning of the month he was fine...middle of the month he started becoming a bit incoherent but still harmless...by the 25th of the month he was delusional, screaming at non existent spiders on the walls etc...yep, drug addict living with his demons (in his head). Would get his monthly security cheque and right as rain again. But that last 5 or 6 days when he truly had spent every last satang on drugs and before his next cheque I am sure was hell for him. Family stopped caring for him, friends were other drug addicts, most of whom relied on his pay cheque to buy their drugs so would not help him (they had no money), he stayed for free at the guest house (ran out on his bill in the end). Ended up in a local hospital with self inflicted injuries. About a year ago he was caught in Vientiane running naked down one of the streets and was taken to the US Embassy there.

The Laotians are all to familiar with this situation and instead of turfing them loose, turned him over to the US officials. Last I heard he was safely tucked away in a drug rehabilitation center in Florida under the care of the Veterans Society.

So many reasons this person is on the down and out.....but if I can give any advice to this person.....go home as soon as you are able to. I realize some posters feel it is better to be broke and down and out here then in your home country. I disagree. This is a terrible country to be down and out in.

I fully understand the meaning of having no money, have been in the same desperate situation myself and know what it feels like.

My point was that considering these amounts are not a fortune than perhaps a family member or a friend would be kind enough to lend the OP some money because when the chips are down is when one discovers who are their genuine friends.

If the OP is willing to give details of why he has ended up stone broke and details of the funds he alleged to be expecting in the near future and what he does in Thailand, then perhaps people may offer to help, I am always willing to help someone out who is down on their luck by no fault of their own, you know, good will to all men over the Christmas period, a bit of Christian charity and all that, otherwise this just appears to be another hard luck story, the one of many I hear quite often and become bored with.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I have lived here with less than 1000 Baht per week and was behind the rent too. It was down to some meat, a lot of rice and small bottles of juice from a local market.

Stop wasting money to taxis, walk or use motobike taxis. Start emailing all your friends and ask/borrow for some money. 50 dollars is a big money now for you, almost two weeks worth of food supplies. Try to rent some shack with no AC for few thousand bahts if/when you get a little bit more money. Go drink a glass of water and ask for a WIFI password in nearby restaurants when you need to use Internet.

If you really desparate, start begging from tourists. Don't be pushy, just ask around. One in 100 could easily give you something. Even 50 baht will give you something to eat for a day.

Only a few days to survive in a 24 hour city. I don't much care for roughing it but I am sure you can find constant warrmth and shelter by moving around various 24 hour establishments. Doesn't sound as though you are completely out of money. You could linger in Macdonald's or BurgerKing for hours over a cup of coffee. Maybe snatch a few leftovers when nobody is looking. Can't see a Farang being ejected from any fast food establishment.

Thankfully it's not that cold that you can't survive outside for a while. Hope I'm not sounding unChristian but I'm sure you can find ways and means to survive for a week.

Invited to read,,,, qualifies to comment.

Sure, why many of you are so hard on this guy ? You know how much an airplane ticket costs ? You want to ruin him completely ?

Awilson11, my advice: SWIM home, starting today !

Only a few days to survive in a 24 hour city. I don't much care for roughing it but I am sure you can find constant warrmth and shelter by moving around various 24 hour establishments. Doesn't sound as though you are completely out of money. You could linger in Macdonald's or BurgerKing for hours over a cup of coffee. Maybe snatch a few leftovers when nobody is looking. Can't see a Farang being ejected from any fast food establishment.

Thankfully it's not that cold that you can't survive outside for a while. Hope I'm not sounding unChristian but I'm sure you can find ways and means to survive for a week.

When I read the original post I felt depressed, now after reading your post and advice to the OP, I feel suicidal. Hard to imagine how the OP feels if this is the best survival advice he is going to receive.

I am not religious, but please God I pray I never end up in this situation.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1