Diesel prices set to rise

Issanman

There is a story in the BP newspaper today that diesel prices will no longer be subsidized soon and will go to 40B per liter. If that happens, the price of everything else will have to rise because everything is delivered to stores by diesel vehicles.

If you are referring to the BP posted article posted today, The 'exact' phrase as I read it, stated, ".....if the caretaker government fails to seek cabinet approval for the extension of the fuel's excise tax subsidy ...."

All this means is that the current subsidy is 'due' to legally expire and needs to be extended with cabinet approval - period.

This is akin to it being said, "That thousands of foreigners are due to be expelled from LOS within a year". Though technically true, because foreigners visas are normally due to expire - 1 year, 3mo, etc., at which time the govt could very well choose not to renew them, but the reality is .....!

The same thing applies to the way the OP titled this thread. It's unnecessarily alarmist at the very least - if it is the same BP article I read today.

• Like 1

With the Thai gov in its current state, the cabinet may not be able to approve any extension of the subsidy in time.

Especially when Suthep is trying to get them to resign, they may have other things on their mind these days.

Edited by Issanman

It was originally priced in favour of Tractors, Fishing Boats, and Commercial Haulage, Public Transport etc, not for Ferangs to run on the Cheap to Lotus.biggrin.png .

Yes that is the whole point, let them pay the normal price too (the guys with trucks)

And for its not subsidized it gets a tax rebate cheesy.gif It just means that without the tax break it would be more expensive that is a kind of subsidy as the government is getting less money from it loosing on it. I admit technically you could be right but in both cases its either less income for the government or more costs. So either-way it costs money that could be spend better.

It was originally priced in favour of Tractors, Fishing Boats, and Commercial Haulage, Public Transport etc, not for Ferangs to run on the Cheap to Lotus.biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png .

Yes that is the whole point, let them pay the normal price too (the guys with trucks)

And for its not subsidized it gets a tax rebate cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif It just means that without the tax break it would be more expensive that is a kind of subsidy as the government is getting less money from it loosing on it. I admit technically you could be right but in both cases its either less income for the government or more costs. So either-way it costs money that could be spend better.

From where I come from, we call it the free market, when a product is sold for its market value, without government interference or taxation.

• Like 1

This happens every year, and every year it gets extended, otherwise inflation goes bezerk. Don't go selling your diesel trucks wink.png

No!!! Dont whatever You Do. How can one get to Lotus without a 3 Litre Tubo Truck. You will loose "Face", whatever that means. Never realy worked that out yet.cheesy.gif

Diesel is not subsidized, it is just given a tax rebate. CNG, LPG and cooking gas is subsidized.

With the weaker baht diesel could go to 32-33 baht/l, but no reason it should cost 40 baht.

Really? you should tell the govement as they call it a subsidy.

It was originally priced in favour of Tractors, Fishing Boats, and Commercial Haulage, Public Transport etc, not for Ferangs to run on the Cheap to Lotus.biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png .

And for its not subsidized it gets a tax rebate cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif It just means that without the tax break it would be more expensive that is a kind of subsidy as the government is getting less money from it loosing on it. I admit technically you could be right but in both cases its either less income for the government or more costs. So either-way it costs money that could be spend better.

From where I come from, we call it the free market, when a product is sold for its market value, without government interference or taxation.

Duh... but when other simular fuels are taxed its not really fair so either tax them all or not. In this case tax them for all cars and make some exlusion for non private persons use.

Diesel is not subsidized, it is just given a tax rebate. CNG, LPG and cooking gas is subsidized.

With the weaker baht diesel could go to 32-33 baht/l, but no reason it should cost 40 baht.

They also call the past 7 years a normal political process, what is your point?

They also call the past 7 years a normal political process, what is your point?

My point is that the if govement themselves call it a subsidy and not a rebate then chances are it might actually be a subsidy.

Dual Pricing Diesel Fuel for Ferangs, im all in favour. 150 Baht a Litre seems fair to me.thumbsup.gif . Who cares were only here in Gods Waiting Room anyway.burp.gif

You dream might come true one day. Im Malaysia (where fuels is subsidized and sold below global market prices), you can only buy 10 l of fuel if you don't have a local id. Brunei is the same.

You dream might come true one day. Im Malaysia (where fuels is subsidized and sold below global market prices), you can only buy 10 l of fuel if you don't have a local id. Brunei is the same.

Seems daft to only allow a purchase of 10 litres, I guess you could just sit there doing multiple fills.

Since Malaysia's have id cards one would think it be better to only allow subsidized purchases to people who produce their ID and people who do not have to pay full retail.

Seems daft to only allow a purchase of 10 litres, I guess you could just sit there doing multiple fills.

Since Malaysia's have id cards one would think it be better to only allow subsidized purchases to people who produce their ID and people who do not have to pay full retail.

Indeed , Thais could and should do the Same.. No ID, tourist prices and shut out Cheap Charlie Ferangs, why a ferang is here without money amazes me .

Dual Pricing Diesel Fuel for Ferangs, im all in favour. 150 Baht a Litre seems fair to me.thumbsup.gif . Who cares were only here in Gods Waiting Room anyway.burp.gif

I don't know about Brunei, but none of our expat staff in KL seem to have any problems filling up their cars. I have spent a total of 18 months in our KL offices on and off - never had a problem filling up the car the CEO loans whenever I'm there either. Where did you get this info from LOL?

Edited by IMHO