Diesel prices set to rise

Issanman

Dual Pricing Diesel Fuel for Ferangs, im all in favour. 150 Baht a Litre seems fair to me.thumbsup.gif . Who cares were only here in Gods Waiting Room anyway.burp.gif

You dream might come true one day. Im Malaysia (where fuels is subsidized and sold below global market prices), you can only buy 10 l of fuel if you don't have a local id. Brunei is the same.

I don't know about Brunei, but none of our expat staff in KL seem to have any problems filling up their cars. I have spent a total of 18 months in our KL offices on and off - never had a problem filling up the car the CEO loans whenever I'm there either. Where did you get this info from LOL?

The 10 l rule only applies for 95 octane which is sold at 1.90 RM (19 baht). You can buy as much 97 octane as you want. I think the rule is only strictly enforced close to the Thai border to prevent smuggling.

Where do I have my info from? It is posted at the gasoline pumps.

The 10 l rule only applies for 95 octane which is sold at 1.90 RM (19 baht). You can buy as much 97 octane as you want. I think the rule is only strictly enforced close to the Thai border to prevent smuggling.

Never seen it, but the boss does say to use only 97 in the loan car he provides ;)

Never seen it, but the boss does say to use only 97 in the loan car he provides wink.png

All I can find on google says the restriction was for foreign plated vehicles and they could only purchase 20 litres (of 95).

Dual Pricing Diesel Fuel for Ferangs, im all in favour. 150 Baht a Litre seems fair to me.thumbsup.gif . Who cares were only here in Gods Waiting Room anyway.burp.gif

You dream might come true one day. Im Malaysia (where fuels is subsidized and sold below global market prices), you can only buy 10 l of fuel if you don't have a local id. Brunei is the same.

Now, that would be the real economic stimulus, creating 1000s of new jobs in the " rent a local to fill up the car" sector.

Never seen it, but the boss does say to use only 97 in the loan car he provides wink.png

I'm curious; What is the Thai equivalent of 95 and 97 octane?

Is one of these the Thai equivalent of benzine 95?

Benzine 95 is 95 octane (RON)

Ethanol has a octane number of 108, so they can actually mix lover octane benzine to get gasohol 92 and 95 which are the most common fuels here.

Never seen it, but the boss does say to use only 97 in the loan car he provides wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

All I can find on google says the restriction was for foreign plated vehicles and they could only purchase 20 litres (of 95).

I believe you are right, the restriction is based on the cars registration and not the drivers id. Brunei, where fuels is sold at 15 baht/l, is a little different. Anybody can fill their car, but only Brunei nationals can fill a canister for your boat, lawn mower, etc.

Now, that would be the real economic stimulus, creating 1000s of new jobs in the " rent a local to fill up the car" sector.

According to My Frieinds whe have Married into Thai Family Groups, the Natives dont know how to fill up a Car. It allways comes back empty.biggrin.png

According to My Frieinds whe have Married into Thai Family Groups, the Natives dont know how to fill up a Car. It allways comes back empty.biggrin.png

Your friends natives pump their own fuel ?

• Like 1

Thailand doesn't have 97 octane available.

does the government recover the subsidies through vehicle tax? For instance, are all diesel card taxed equally or there are different formula for 2 door picks ups and 7 seater SUVs? If not, it is going to strain the budget for development every year.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

does the government recover the subsidies through vehicle tax? For instance, are all diesel card taxed equally or there are different formula for 2 door picks ups and 7 seater SUVs? If not, it is going to strain the budget for development every year. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Commercial vehicles and PPV's are taxed much lower than passenger cars, and gasoline in all forms has additional levies imposed to help offset diesel subsidies. They tried abandoning diesel subsidies once, and the cost of living practically doubled overnight (and didn't go back down once the subsidy returned).

While subsidies are never a great long term strategy, the fact is that diesel prices effect the price of practically everything in Thailand, and until average wealth raises more, it's not a good idea at all to let inflation run wild (i.e. remove the subsidy).

• Like 1

Diesel is not subsidized, it is just given a tax rebate. CNG, LPG and cooking gas is subsidized.

With the weaker baht diesel could go to 32-33 baht/l, but no reason it should cost 40 baht.

Really? you should tell the govement as they call it a subsidy.

They also call the past 7 years a normal political process, what is your point?

My point is that the if govement themselves call it a subsidy and not a rebate then chances are it might actually be a subsidy.

Source:

Gasoline and diesel were subsidized for many months in 2004. Diesel was subsidized in 11 out of 12 months in 2004, and diesel, but not gasoline, continued to be subsidized by the fund in 2005 until Aug. Diesel was again subsidized in 2008, in Jun 2009, in the first four months of 2011 leading up to a closely contested national election in July 2011, and again in Aug and Sep 2012.

In addition, the oil fund levy was eliminated for both gasoline and diesel in the last four months of 2011. By Apr 2011, the oil fund reserves had been depleted. Aside from periodic subsidization of gasoline and diesel, the oil fund has been used mainly to subsidize bioethanol and biodiesel in recent years. The Oil Fund had a deficit of 22 billion baht (US$0.7 billion) in Jun 2012. In 2011, the issue at hand was how long government could prevent the diesel price from rising above 30 baht (US$1)/liter. Monthly average prices of diesel in Bangkok and monthly average benchmark FOB prices relevant to Thailand since 2007 are shown below. The plot illustrates government’s attempts to keep the retail price at or below 30 baht/liter.

Tax reductions: In Apr 2011, the cabinet approved a cut in the excise tax for diesel from 5.31 baht (US$0.18)/liter to 0.005 baht (US$0.0002) effective from Apr 21 until Sep 30 to keep diesel price at or below 30 baht (slightly less than US$1)/liter, a move widely criticized for being political even by the Federation of Thai Industries.

A tax reduction of Diesel is not uncommon as it is an instrument to influence the economic development.

• Like 1

Commercial vehicles and PPV's are taxed much lower than passenger cars, and gasoline in all forms has additional levies imposed to help offset diesel subsidies. They tried abandoning diesel subsidies once, and the cost of living practically doubled overnight (and didn't go back down once the subsidy returned).

While subsidies are never a great long term strategy, the fact is that diesel prices effect the price of practically everything in Thailand, and until average wealth raises more, it's not a good idea at all to let inflation run wild (i.e. remove the subsidy).

------------------------------------------------------

Source:

Gasoline and diesel were subsidized for many months in 2004. Diesel was subsidized in 11 out of 12 months in 2004, and diesel, but not gasoline, continued to be subsidized by the fund in 2005 until Aug. Diesel was again subsidized in 2008, in Jun 2009, in the first four months of 2011 leading up to a closely contested national election in July 2011, and again in Aug and Sep 2012.

In addition, the oil fund levy was eliminated for both gasoline and diesel in the last four months of 2011. By Apr 2011, the oil fund reserves had been depleted. Aside from periodic subsidization of gasoline and diesel, the oil fund has been used mainly to subsidize bioethanol and biodiesel in recent years. The Oil Fund had a deficit of 22 billion baht (US$0.7 billion) in Jun 2012. In 2011, the issue at hand was how long government could prevent the diesel price from rising above 30 baht (US$1)/liter. Monthly average prices of diesel in Bangkok and monthly average benchmark FOB prices relevant to Thailand since 2007 are shown below. The plot illustrates government’s attempts to keep the retail price at or below 30 baht/liter.

Tax reductions: In Apr 2011, the cabinet approved a cut in the excise tax for diesel from 5.31 baht (US$0.18)/liter to 0.005 baht (US$0.0002) effective from Apr 21 until Sep 30 to keep diesel price at or below 30 baht (slightly less than US$1)/liter, a move widely criticized for being political even by the Federation of Thai Industries.

A tax reduction of Diesel is not uncommon as it is an instrument to influence the economic development.

An excellent statement of the facts! coffee1.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

• 1 month later...

So malaysia is trying to prevent Thais (or Singaporeans) to buy subsidized cheap oil near border, that makes sense!

However, cheapest benzine is sold at Venezuella if I remember right. Brunei's 15baht/liter pricing is expensive considering Brunei Sultan's over 40 billion dollars assets.

So malaysia is trying to prevent Thais (or Singaporeans) to buy subsidized cheap oil near border, that makes sense!

However, cheapest benzine is sold at Venezuella if I remember right. Brunei's 15baht/liter pricing is expensive considering Brunei Sultan's over 40 billion dollars assets.

Iran is the cheapest place I have bought fuel. From memory we paid $2-3 for about 100 l in 1994.

Venezuela was also cheap. Again from memory around 5 cent/l in 1996/97.

What would be cost to the country if it wasnt?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just to show you where I come from, use the link.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

When I saw the link, I was hoping it was listing petrol prices around the world, but then it is just prices in "p", Northern European Pesetas I assume.

Nice!

Venezuelan state owned company Today PDVSA spends US$1.7 billion in direct costs of importation of gasoline, and subsidizes all sales of gasoline in the internal Venezuelan market. The sale price of gasoline is US$0.015 per liter, on a fixed price in the local currency that has been in effect since 1997. Given the low price of gasoline, it is distributed free of charge to gas stations.