Technical problem leaves Bangkok BTS in rush hour meltdown

webfact

Only in Thailand, does this country not realize that they are just the laughing stock of the civiliesd world.

Jeebus, get a grip.

Mass transit systems have outages frequently. Some such as the London tube have catastrophic fires. The Paris and Montreal Metro systems have stoppages. The NYC transit system often has a line down for a period on any given day. Do I need to go on?

Sh*t happens. Life goes on. No one outside BKK cares.

"No one outside BKK cares." How true that is.

I care.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio communications used by the demonstrators and/or press/TV could jam the BTS communication systems, if they stray on to the same wavelength.

You said the problem was that the BTS control room uses wi-fi...

Wi-fi operates at about 2.4GHz over a short distance. I am not aware that demonstrators/press/TV crews are using high power, 2.4GHz transmitters......

Simon

Wi-Fi operates at any frequency not just 2.4GHz. The Wi-Fi Alliance defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network"

BTS Wi-Fi operates on BTS's frequency as a wireless local area network that links all the stations, signalling, trains and trackside equipment.

The problem is well known to BTS Engineers and they have been having intermittent problems with signal jamming due to local radio operators who stray near their frequency. In the past the system has been suffering momentary failures lasting up to a few minutes as the main control has to recalculate where all the trains are before resuming service after losing and then regaining communication. BTS engineers told me that the problems in the past were due to local taxi services, local and amateur radio, and that is a fact.

Is it normal to use a wireless system for such mission critical infrastructure? That seems very dumb indeed.

I don't think it was a radio problem, as that would have been local to one transmitter. It was probably a control centre problem with the control systems - perhaps with the central switching for the wireless network ("Speculation - RayFrench widnae staun' firthat, bytheway - there's naepoint!")

SC

I guess its not unreasonable to expect breakdowns to any mass transport system sometimes.

But a total system failure for this length of time would seem to be more than a slight glitch?

I'm not familiar with comparable systems in the region, Singapore/Malaysia etc., have they had anything similar?

There have been failures in Singapore - not the entire network going down, but significant stoppages. Best of all is that after the first one the people in charge insisted that it was a one off and would not happen again ... and, you guessed it, subsequent repeat-failure soon after tongue.png

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Commuters caught in chaos after Skytrain shuts down in morning

The Nation

30222882-01_big.jpg?1387927433064
HUNDREDS OF thousands of commuters woke up to a nightmare yesterday morning, when Bangkok's entire Skytrain system came to a complete halt during rush hours.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691640-commuters-caught-in-chaos-after-bangkoks-skytrain-shuts-down-in-morning/

They should suspend dividends until they can supply a reliable service then!

Why would they punish the investors because of a system malfunction?

In preference to making the customers suffer??

Customers can choose to use other forms of transport.

Sent from my phone ...

They should suspend dividends until they can supply a reliable service then!

Why would they punish the investors because of a system malfunction?

In preference to making the customers suffer??

Customers can choose to use other forms of transport.

Sent from my phone ...

In Bangkok?

And they can if they are forewarned......

I see the Skytrain as a necessity in Bangkok.......

In Bangkok?

And they can if they are forewarned......

I see the Skytrain as a necessity in Bangkok.......

I agree, it is a necessity. It is a bit difficult to forewarn people when you don't know it is going to happen. Do you think they planned to have the system down for half a day?

But it is a private company. It has investors. If people don't invest, there won't be a company, and there won't be a sky train.