First house call by immigration

I would never accept this !

Well guess that would depend a lot on whether you wanted a visa extension or not. Pretty easy for the Immigration police to say NO to an application or cause you all sorts of problems, ie you didn't dot the i or cross the t on 5 of the 15 pages of documents you need to submit, "can't remember which pages - you will have to find them yourself" etc etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot apply for your extension until the last 30 days (45 some offices) of your 90 day entry and have the money in the bank for 60 days. If you wanted to make a trip out before then you could get a single re-entry permit for your 90 day entry but you would have to return to do your extension before it expires.

You can then get a single re-entry permit as soon as you finish your extension application and they stamp it in your passport.

You could leave on that day if you wanted to.

Thanks, so as soon as the extension is granted I could leave and everything would be OK for a return before the extension expires.

For me, the ideal time to to apply for the extension would be about the end of January.

This would allow us to arrive before or after Christmas and stay until the weather warms up at home.

Only always needing to be there before the ext expires.

My wife thinks that on arrival, the immigration officer will ask how long (up to 90 days) I want to stay.

If that's the case, I could ask for 30 days and extend in February.

Near perfect.

You may remember I had a retirement ext good to the end of last May which I let expire, to save money on visas.

However, what a mistake to make!

The cost of a Non Immigrant/O visa is €60 to the Embassy in Madrid plus the courier charges of about €50 plus the cost of a notarised copy of my (Foreigners) Spanish ID about €11 and that is the cheapest way, a personal visit is much more due to the 600Km distance, hotel costs etc.

A single entry extension costs about 1,900 baht, a letter from the bank, a baht bus trip to town - job done.

Since my wife is now registered as a resident of Spain, her visa (Spanish Foreigners ID) is good for 5 years!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Thai authorities would reciprocate?

You will get a 90 day entry. The immigration officer will not give you a choice.

Thanks Joe, I got 90 days.

I didn't make any comment, just took what I was given.

Hope to get the retirement extension later this month.