What's the point?

itsrebel

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another pesimist, please leave Thailand and leave us Happy People Alone.

Ah yes. I can smell the kindling burning .........

Since you obviously find it distressing to read posts intimating that, for some, living in Thailand may be a somewhat less than idyllic experience, may I suggest that you simply ignore them? That way you will not be discomforted by them and may remain ensconced and undisturbed in your rose-tinted bubble, thus sparing the rest of us from having to read yet another hackneyed "if you don't like it here go home" comment.

Edited by Rumpole
  • Like 2

Just another pesimist, please leave Thailand and leave us Happy People Alone.

Ah yes. I can smell the kindling burning .........

Since you obviously find it distressing to read posts intimating that, for some, living in Thailand may be a somewhat less than idyllic experience, may I suggest that you simply ignore them? That way you will not be discomforted by them and may remain ensconced and undisturbed in your rose-tinted bubble, thus sparing the rest of us from having to read yet another hackneyed "if you don't like it here go home" comment.

Agreed. Some truly pointless vindictive crap in this string. Like some embittered afternoon boozers looking to gain some twisted ego hit by laying into a guy who may honestly be seeking some possibly helpful advice and empathy. I guess they get a charge out it, but I can't figure out why. >>> Really messed up.

For instance, you *happy person* above, if you really feel the need to take the time to attempt to make the guy feel worse, maybe also take the time to get your spelling and punctuation correct within the also otherwise illiterate sentence you managed to slobber onto the keyboard. Better yet, how about just saving some of your "Happy People Alone" time and not bother trying to mess with the guy's head. >>> Un-<deleted>-believable.

• Like 1

There is no general point. Only that purpose or point you determine for yourself.

Happiness and contentment are a state of mind not situation. Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka, indeed, anywhere is not the important issue here.

In one of your replies you stated that your volunteer work left you discontented - how did that happen?

Caveat.....I am not a licensed "head shrink" ....and this is only my opinion from reading your short post...Please take no offense as I hope I am only offering you constructive criticism.

Well since your past seems to focus only on "YOU"....and you think every year that YOU have done nothing....YOU obviously do not like who you are....if you do then no problem never making anything of your life! Might be time to make some changes. You have stated that you do not want a family (Who many of us do "live for") But family can take many forms...Neighbors, friends and even strangers. You have to let go of the "me, me, me syndrome" and start partaking in life in another form than you currently are. Volunteer, Join some social clubs, become engaged with the community...make the world your "Family" ...Its amazing how rewarding it is to help people without expecting anything in return....

Hope whatever you do you change your path to one where you believe your life has some meaning.

Merry Christmas!

.....well said....very well said...particularly...." it's amazing how rewarding it is to help people without expecting anything in return"....

As expected, some good advice, personal insults and condescending remarks.
To set the record straight, the post was not about Thailand, it was a general post about life I guess. The point being, I am equally happy or unhappy, whichever way you want to look at it, anywhere. I just like to take stock at the end of each year. Since I am in Thailand and joined this forum, I thought I will put my thoughts in here to get an outside view, if you will.
I can see how my post would have given an impression that I am depressed. I don’t really think that I am, but then I am not an expert. I guess a person can show signs of clinical depression, or bipolar syndrome as some suggested, but still lead a normal life (that is how I look at my life).
To those who say that I sound like a self-obsessed narcissist, I think that is a bit extreme. It is true that I live for myself, a sort of selfish life (one can say), but I really don’t think there is anything wrong with it. To each his own, I say. I don’t tell people who are married with kids that they should live their lives another way, or my way for that matter. I am very happy for those who have found a reason and I will not comment on it.
And the suggestion that I should have a kid and may be my perspective will change is just absurd. What if it doesn't? A kid doesn't come with a money-back guarantee. I don’t think that it will be a good experiment to perform, especially since there will be another life involved. I can do whatever with my life, screw it up in whichever way I deem fit, or not. I don’t have any right to screw with another human being’s life.
Someone suggested that I should jump off a balcony and end this. I will not lie and say that I have never thought about that. But I gave up on the idea. I will see this through, even if I am miserable, for the sole reason that there is so much for me learn yet. So many books to read, so many countries to visit and so many things to experience still. This was one of the reasons for this post, to get a second and a third and a hundredth opinion on a subject that has tortured me for quite some years now.
Cheers!

Right, having a child to give you purpose in life, feel better about yourself -- the word *selfish* doesn't quite get there. Think you maybe need to relax, as best you can, understand that with a bigger brain and increased awareness you get the sense of doubt and, yeah, depression. Way it goes. Hang tough and don't go near any ledges. You're still young. Who knows? You might even connect with a soul-mate, change everything.

• Like 1

As expected, some good advice, personal insults and condescending remarks.
To set the record straight, the post was not about Thailand, it was a general post about life I guess. The point being, I am equally happy or unhappy, whichever way you want to look at it, anywhere. I just like to take stock at the end of each year. Since I am in Thailand and joined this forum, I thought I will put my thoughts in here to get an outside view, if you will.
I can see how my post would have given an impression that I am depressed. I don’t really think that I am, but then I am not an expert. I guess a person can show signs of clinical depression, or bipolar syndrome as some suggested, but still lead a normal life (that is how I look at my life).
To those who say that I sound like a self-obsessed narcissist, I think that is a bit extreme. It is true that I live for myself, a sort of selfish life (one can say), but I really don’t think there is anything wrong with it. To each his own, I say. I don’t tell people who are married with kids that they should live their lives another way, or my way for that matter. I am very happy for those who have found a reason and I will not comment on it.
And the suggestion that I should have a kid and may be my perspective will change is just absurd. What if it doesn't? A kid doesn't come with a money-back guarantee. I don’t think that it will be a good experiment to perform, especially since there will be another life involved. I can do whatever with my life, screw it up in whichever way I deem fit, or not. I don’t have any right to screw with another human being’s life.
Someone suggested that I should jump off a balcony and end this. I will not lie and say that I have never thought about that. But I gave up on the idea. I will see this through, even if I am miserable, for the sole reason that there is so much for me learn yet. So many books to read, so many countries to visit and so many things to experience still. This was one of the reasons for this post, to get a second and a third and a hundredth opinion on a subject that has tortured me for quite some years now.
Cheers!

I'm not going to tell you to cheer up. It never helps.

I get this. Also some of my best friends in the UK get the same. Two examples. A paramedic with 18 years in emergency medicine. Very active chap too, but gets seriously down, I mean really down. A big tough demolition manager who works for one of the biggest demo firms in the UK, he's the same, lovely bloke too, he has told me about his suicidal thoughts before.

I don't know what it is. Perhaps modern day life. Perhaps it's just us. Perhaps some are just deep thinkers in an increasingly shallow world. One thing I do know is that if you're starting topics like this on a public forum at least you're admitting this has become a problem, which is the first step. Next, get treatment for it. Go to Bangkok Hospital or whoever Sheryl recommends. Get hold of the moderator named Sheryl and ask her. She's quite the most wonderful person and will give the best advice on this.

Please ignore the nasty comments on here, it's a vipers pit. Those people probably have similar issues but aren't ready to take the first step in at least admitting it to themselves.

Yeah, what he said.

You do have a purpose......although I thought my life was pretty ordinary, you've just made me realize my life is awesome! Thanks for that!

Maybe reincarnation will work for you.......better to get started ASAP. Don't forget to make lots of merit before you go so you'll have a less s****y life next go round!

To get fulfillment out of life you have to give it away. In other words, seek to be a blessing where ever you go, look out for the other guy, be the solution. When we look to make ourselves happy, content or entertained, it only lasts a short while. Then we are left seeking another fix. Being self focused is a sure path to feeling empty.

Good answer. I am a post-Christian, but recall the Westminster catechism, question 1: What is the chief end of man? answer: To glorify God and enjoy Him forever. You can read the rest here - hope it helps. http://www.reformed.org/documents/WSC.html

btw, I struggle with it too. The writer of Ecclesiastes said: "vanity, vanity - all is vanity. there is nothing new under the sun." He (Solomon) had tried everything and was bored with life. But love changes everything. Hang in there. Keep giving love and trusting that it will be given back to you in multiplied fashion. Focus on the heart, not on the outward appearance.

Edited by risky11
  • Like 2

I'm back in the states for the holidays and wishing the time would go faster, so that I can get back to Thailand. Having worked in China for 5 years, Thailand was like a breath of fresh air to me, the people (for the most part) are friendly and caring, the exchange rate is good enough and the quality of life versus other SE Asian countries is second to none. Sure it has its problems, but what country doesn't?

And the worst part of your summary of life (which I agree with) is if there is no life after death,then the whole thing has been a waste of time.

Waste implies purpose, if there is no purpose (point) then it cannot be said that time has been wasted.

Earlier I asked "Why does there need to be a point?". If there is no need for a point then the question of what the point is, is meaningless.

It is this very question that many people find distressing. Everything around us seems to have a purpose so we assume that our own life must have also. It brings us comfort and in effect, dries our eyes. To paraphrase the late Christopher Hitchens... There will come a day when you are tapped on the shoulder and told that the party is going on but you have to leave.

What's your point ?

To the OP: you seem as if you are at the point of awakening. Don't let any of the negatvie replys to your post get you down. Your thought pattern is quite profound. It is neither positive nor negative - more thoughfull. For such a young age you really should feel blessed that you are able to question what is! Funny how some think you are resonating at a low frequency when in fact your frequency is elevated.

It is one thing to become awakened. Realizing that your plane of existence is out of whack is not an automatic pass to the next level. Many, including myself can empathize with the OP as we are all in this plane until we find the way to progress. More and more people are awakening to the spiritual aspect of our existence without applying dogma and are seeking fulfillment. Unfortunately there is no handbook and each person's path is different. The fundamental message I have ascertained from studying theology and spirituality for decades is that love, selflessness and a communal outlook on society are the keys. Unfortunately, western society dictates just the opposite.

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them" - Henry David Thoreau

• Like 1

To the OP: you seem as if you are at the point of awakening. Don't let any of the negatvie replys to your post get you down. Your thought pattern is quite profound. It is neither positive nor negative - more thoughfull. For such a young age you really should feel blessed that you are able to question what is! Funny how some think you are resonating at a low frequency when in fact your frequency is elevated.

It is one thing to become awakened. Realizing that your plane of existence is out of whack is not an automatic pass to the next level. Many, including myself can empathize with the OP as we are all in this plane until we find the way to progress. More and more people are awakening to the spiritual aspect of our existence without applying dogma and are seeking fulfillment. Unfortunately there is no handbook and each person's path is different. The fundamental message I have ascertained from studying theology and spirituality for decades is that love, selflessness and a communal outlook on society are the keys. Unfortunately, western society dictates just the opposite.

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them" - Henry David Thoreau

Have you ever wondered why everything prescribes love, selflessness and a communal outlook. Why is living for yourself such a bad thing. Why does the society ostracize someone who is independent of it?

Have you ever wondered why everything prescribes love, selflessness and a communal outlook. Why is living for yourself such a bad thing. Why does the society ostracize someone who is independent of it?

One reason is that the human species is not that far removed from swinging in the trees and we are a tribal species, much like Apes. A sense of fulfillment comes from contributing to the whole as part of perpetuation of the species. It is also what makes us territorial and defensive of outside influences. Perpetuation of the species is no longer a concern today with humans infesting every corner of the planet, so our psyche turns to the reason for being. Humans have been asking themselves this question for thousands of years, often confusing spirituality with religion.

There is nothing wrong with living life for yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin and are resolved to being alone, so be it. You only have to answer to yourself. When you choose a life of solitude, a person tends to turn inward and dwell on aspects of life that you would not have time to ponder if you had a family. One poster advocated to not look inward, forgo introspection and live an outwardly focused life. I disagree as until you know who are, how can you benefit anyone else?

Not sure what you mean about being ostracized for it though, other than many things in life are geared toward couples. Perhaps you can provide an example of how you feel ostracized for not being in a relationship.

Being roughly twice you age and having been in / out of serious relationships most of my life, I can tell you this. The happiest and most fulfilled I have ever been in my life was when I was in a loving, devoted relationship. I have been lucky enough to find the "magic" a few times in life. Unfortunately, I have not been smart enough to figure out how to make it last.

"No man is an island" - John Donne

• Like 1

One reason is that the human species is not that far removed from swinging in the trees and we are a tribal species, much like Apes. A sense of fulfillment comes from contributing to the whole as part of perpetuation of the species. It is also what makes us territorial and defensive of outside influences. Perpetuation of the species is no longer a concern today with humans infesting every corner of the planet, so our psyche turns to the reason for being. Humans have been asking themselves this question for thousands of years, often confusing spirituality with religion.

There is nothing wrong with living life for yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin and are resolved to being alone, so be it. You only have to answer to yourself. When you choose a life of solitude, a person tends to turn inward and dwell on aspects of life that you would not have time to ponder if you had a family. One poster advocated to not look inward, forgo introspection and live an outwardly focused life. I disagree as until you know who are, how can you benefit anyone else?

Not sure what you mean about being ostracized for it though, other than many things in life are geared toward couples. Perhaps you can provide an example of how you feel ostracized for not being in a relationship.

Being roughly twice you age and having been in / out of serious relationships most of my life, I can tell you this. The happiest and most fulfilled I have ever been in my life was when I was in a loving, devoted relationship. I have been lucky enough to find the "magic" a few times in life. Unfortunately, I have not been smart enough to figure out how to make it last.

On your last sentence; it is obvious what your task in life is for you. Good luck !

• Like 1

On your last sentence; it is obvious what your task in life is for you. Good luck !

Interesting observation. In retrospect, I can say that my biggest mistake in prior relationships was refusing to be a doormat. Had I just bent over and said, "yes dear" while taking it up the keister, everything would have been fine. thumbsup.gif

Interesting observation. In retrospect, I can say that my biggest mistake in prior relationships was refusing to be a doormat. Had I just bent over and said, "yes dear" while taking it up the keister, everything would have been fine. thumbsup.gif

Do you know why u refused to be a doormat ?

• Like 1

Judging from your post, one might think of you as a person who is searching for a meaning in your life. You are in your mid thirties and yet the idea of having a family does not appeal to you. You have worked as a volunteer helping people in many countries trying to do something meaningful in your life. Clearly Thailand, for you, is just another country with readily available sex and that's it

My advice is to find a woman as restless as yourself who's seeking a higher goal,like yourself and proceed with immersing yourselves in volunteer work.

The layman's interpretation of your symptoms of 'nothing pleases' is that of depression. You need a noble cause to make you feel alive. I suggest you continue with volunteer work.

Thailand, I find, is still very good when medical facilities are concerned. They have good hospitals which are fully staffed seven days a week. In more advanced western societies it is safer to be sick on weekdays rather than weekends or public holidays. I have found in my association with Thailand since 1986 that I feel secure that medical help is readily available at a still reasonable cost, especially now that I have grown older.

For a few more years Thailand will remain attractive.The food, the hotels the availability of taxis the accommodation and of course the still easy availability of female companionship make the country desirable. If and when the country becomes richer the doctors will need to work less hours and charge more and the women will be older and more vulgar and the rents will be higher. When this happens, another, poorer country, will be the new farang favourite and the cycle will continue

Caveat.....I am not a licensed "head shrink" ....and this is only my opinion from reading your short post...Please take no offense as I hope I am only offering you constructive criticism.

Well since your past seems to focus only on "YOU"....and you think every year that YOU have done nothing....YOU obviously do not like who you are....if you do then no problem never making anything of your life! Might be time to make some changes. You have stated that you do not want a family (Who many of us do "live for") But family can take many forms...Neighbors, friends and even strangers. You have to let go of the "me, me, me syndrome" and start partaking in life in another form than you currently are. Volunteer, Join some social clubs, become engaged with the community...make the world your "Family" ...Its amazing how rewarding it is to help people without expecting anything in return....

Hope whatever you do you change your path to one where you believe your life has some meaning.

Merry Christmas!

As the song says...."Took the words right out of my mouth" (Meatloaf).

Life is not about fishing the stream until it's empty....but about packing something into it.

If bringing another human being into the world does not give a point to life,then nothing else will,my friends youngest daughter ,who split up with her boyfriend,who wanted children,told him "don't expect me to give you any Grandchildren"

He replied,"I know that already" He reasoned only cold,selfish people,refuse to have, and bring up children,and find reasons to opt out! I can't find any argument there! I'm sure having a career in the local Shopping Mall,as a Accountant,Stocktaker,Auditor,doesn't quite cut it!

I think most men,would find a woman who loves children,a welcome part of her attraction,and the Accountantcy possibly as cold as the job suggests?

• Like 1

If bringing another human being into the world does not give a point to life,then nothing else will,my friends youngest daughter ,who split up with her boyfriend,who wanted children,told him "don't expect me to give you any Grandchildren"

He replied,"I know that already" He reasoned only cold,selfish people,refuse to have, and bring up children,and find reasons to opt out! I can't find any argument there! I'm sure having a career in the local Shopping Mall,as a Accountant,Stocktaker,Auditor,doesn't quite cut it!

I think most men,would find a woman who loves children,a welcome part of her attraction,and the Accountantcy possibly as cold as the job suggests?

Interesting, I have always argued that having a child is the most selfish thing. Especially coz the child doesn't have a say in it.

I wonder how your friend will feel if his daughter told him that she would rather have not been born - a decision she played no part in. She was born only coz two people decided to have a child. That, in my book, is selfish.

• Like 1

Interesting, I have always argued that having a child is the most selfish thing. Especially coz the child doesn't have a say in it.

I wonder how your friend will feel if his daughter told him that she would rather have not been born - a decision she played no part in. She was born only coz two people decided to have a child. That, in my book, is selfish.

Human nature young man...human nature..