Anti-govt forces have a new 'bogeyman' - the Western media

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as irrational and emotionally immature his words may sound, they do represent the widespread attitude towards farungs many Thais seem to have, openly advocated by Suthep and his followers. It would be quite likely, once they get to power on the political vote-buying-military-coups-merry-go-round, that farung expats will get hard times ahead in Thailand.

Actually a lot of what is written sounds like a typical TV rant you see everyday, can't see what the problem is he is entitled to his opinion and some of what he says is true, Thailand IS full of farang losers

• Like 1

I'm guessing none of this gentleman's family went to a foreign school right? don't drive foreign cars? watch foreign TVs, let alone get foreign medical care? clothes, computers? and all that jazz?

nationalism is, actually, what destroys nations - we need a more inclusive world not exclusive. This "I am Thai" nationalistic arrogance does not help this country as much as "I am American" or "I am French" so what? our poo all smells the same

Ah the old colonial attitude of if it wasn't for us they would still swinging in the tree's line !

I'm guessing none of this gentleman's family went to a foreign school right? don't drive foreign cars? watch foreign TVs, let alone get foreign medical care? clothes, computers? and all that jazz?

nationalism is, actually, what destroys nations - we need a more inclusive world not exclusive. This "I am Thai" nationalistic arrogance does not help this country as much as "I am American" or "I am French" so what? our poo all smells the same

Ah the old colonial attitude of if it wasn't for us they would still swinging in the tree's line !

The truth is always in the middle... Sure khun Pathonpong is on the ather edge...

And I don't see in binjalin post anything wrong, he only spoke about him and his family, nothing arrogant toward all Thais.

And binjalin made a good point: All ultra nationalism is dangerous, not only Thai ultranationalism.

• Like 1

as irrational and emotionally immature his words may sound, they do represent the widespread attitude towards farungs many Thais seem to have, openly advocated by Suthep and his followers. It would be quite likely, once they get to power on the political vote-buying-military-coups-merry-go-round, that farung expats will get hard times ahead in Thailand.

Actually a lot of what is written sounds like a typical TV rant you see everyday, can't see what the problem is he is entitled to his opinion and some of what he says is true, Thailand IS full of farang losers

Not only that i do feel that there are more then a few bias farang red reporters around. For me it still is a mystery how anyone with an education can support the shin clan and wants to hold back on reforms to get the checks and balances back.

I have yet to see a report from the foreign media how this all started because of the secret way they wanted to rush that amnesty bill through. Not causally mentioning it but telling how it was and how morally and financially corrupt this government is.

And I agree there are a lot of foreign losers in Thailand but that is a given.

Thanks God I am not a loser, I have a good job, my happy family, kids, and I respect all Thais.

I am not keen to respect opinions of who insults other people, out of any respect.

Maybe you believe Thailand is full of farang losers because your hanging out with the wrong crowd!

• Like 2

Thanks God I am not a loser, I have a good job, my happy family, kids, and I respect all Thais.

I am not keen to respect opinions of who insults other people, out of any respect.

Maybe you believe Thailand is full of farang losers because your hanging out with the wrong crowd!

I think you quoted the wrong one. I wanted to say the opposite... You should have quoted Soutpeel.

While the TVF "red-shirt farangs" remain anonymous, I recall those identified and deported in 2010. Relatively speaking, he most certainly is really smart.

He also happens to be engaged in an occupation for which I have a lot of respect.

Red shirt farangs? Anonymous? What are you talking about buddy?

And which respect you can have on someone put some similar rant on the net?

Please note that he hates all "farangs", no distinctions, so you are included...

Merry Xmas...

Please note your assumption is not supported by the given facts.

Anonymous; it means we have no idea who is posting here, though some do with a bias to a corrupt regime and a willingness to accept Thaksinist propaganda combined with a simplistic 1 man-1 vote policy which over-rides all other facets of democracy.

And it doesn't surprise or dismay me at all that some Thais may disapprove, not so much of TVF, but when they appear at red shirt rallies and protests.

Do you have some numbers of foreigners involved in Red Shirt protests?

Do you think the hatred against foreigners is because of that?

Nobody has any numbers, they can't even agree on how many people are at protests let alone categorize them into individual stats.

But yes.... there were many farang at the 2010 protests. I saw many in pictures and all you have to do is look at youtube which is full of videos of those pretests taken by farang.

But with all that aside.

I think the foreign media are playing a potentially dangerous game.

Not that THEY will ever be affected by it, and their reporters seem to be getting preferential treatment at the protests to try to keep them free to report. But when they use that opportunity to freely report, they walk away and edit to fit in line with a biased or inaccurate narrative based of their own preferences or that of the entities they report for.

The backlash won't be felt by them, the backlash will be felt by the expat community.

There has always been anti-farang sentiment by a large portion of Thais, however, it has largely been suppressed by almost everyone in the name of 'politeness' and their largely natural non-confrontational attitude. However. thanks to the western style of reporting and I will add 'commentary from western politicians with their support for the YL government'. This is causing these formerly suppressed feeling to start bubbling to the surface.

Eventually it will erupt and when it does, could open up a potentially unpleasant can of worms for us who have to live here with these people.

Red shirted farangs on public discussion boards do not help the situation either, it does get read by Thais and they do get shared around social media sites.. and is seen as a 'confirmation' that we are a bad element in their country.

Just goes to show how a 'few bad apples' can spoil the whole bunch.

• Like 1

Guys but can you realize that for each "red shirt farang" there is at least another "yellow shirt farang" around?

It's called freedom of speech.

The reason why I asked numbers (and I'm anyway aware no one has any idea of that) it's because it's possible that some foreigner joined protests in 2010 (sure not in the violent clashes).

I also anyway witnessed with my eyes to some foreigner joining protests on Sunday. So: as I asked before: is thai public opinion influenced by the fact that some foreigner joined protests in 2010?

I think not.

Westerner media playing games? I think they express their opinions. Freely and maybe biased toward democracy as westerners think it should be. Guess what? That democracy never existed in Thailand and will never exist with mass manipulators as Thsksin and Suthep are...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually other than my farang work collegues I hang out with maybe 1 other farang, all are in good jobs on good money, so if they do fall into the category of being loosers then so be it, I will stick with hanging out in the wrong crowd then

Strange how TV posters slag each other off everyday, but the minute one if natives does it the farangs all start getting outraged

Fact is Thailand contains more foreign loser's, dross and hangers one on than any other place I have lived and worked over the last 25 years, this is my personal observation.

• Like 1

Not only that i do feel that there are more then a few bias farang red reporters around. For me it still is a mystery how anyone with an education can support the shin clan and wants to hold back on reforms to get the checks and balances back.

I have yet to see a report from the foreign media how this all started because of the secret way they wanted to rush that amnesty bill through. Not causally mentioning it but telling how it was and how morally and financially corrupt this government is.

I dont think many people do necessary 'support' the Shin clan, but there seems to be nothing being put on the table as an alternative. Vague references to elected council with no names or who is electing, timelines, dates, assurances etc. I think people actually believe they don't even have a plan. If they are well planned and prepared and nothing underhand is going on, why don't they start practicing what they are preaching and show a bit of transparency and enlighten everyone on their vision. Remember that they in addition being headed up by a lifetime politician who was deputy PM a few years ago. Corruption, vote buying is nothing new, yet he has never tried to do anything about it before, why now is he suddenly going to change? He has been involved in many dodgy dealings himself in the past.

I and i suspect many others have no love for the Shinawatras, but nothing is being proposed as an alternative other than hearing about 'elected people councils' and vague utterances about people being to uneducated to vote. I think if they want more support they have to clearly outline what their plan is, and give assurances as to returning to a vote in a given time. Still i am not sure people will believe them considering who is their figure head.

I agree that Suthep is not being clear either but all YL her actions are just as unclear and just aimed at ignoring the problem.

She even ignored the plan of the business sector, that is a plan that was reasonable if she and Suthep would go for that plan some progress would be made.

But be honest here, its not in YL her best interest to have the powers of the next government reigned in and made transparent. It is in the best interest of Suthep. Why because I believe that YL will still win. So I understand that she is reluctant and i think most will agree she has the most to loose as it will make it harder to steal from the government coffers or bend the law for her brother.

Because in the end that is what anti corruption laws will do, so it is normal to mistrust the one with the most to loose.

Anyone thinking that Suthep will come to power is dreaming as he won't win against the rural votes.. it might be close but that is it.

Western media assumes the government institutions, et al, in Thailand are on a par to their Western counterparts, and thus the uprising rabble must be in the wrong?

Western media has a pro-democracy bias. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

If you truly believe that this country has anything like a 'democracy' as you know it in the West, you are seriously deluded. A ballot paper, bought or otherwise does not give a government the right to run roughshod over it's own country's Constitution, ignore it's country's Court decisions, all the while grabbing as much of it's country's tax payers' money and plotting to fill it's coffers with borrowed money with no transparency as to where this money is going. As another poster pointed out, try to imagine this happening in your country. You would still call it a Democracy? Pffft.

I understand this man's frustration. Many of you believe you're still living in Ohio/Basingstoke.

It's quite possible to disagree with the facist agenda of Suthep AND want to see Thaksin brought to justice for all the wrong he has brought upon Thailand. It's blinkered attitudes such as yours where you are either with us or against us that is the bigget mystery of all.

'On behalf of the Thai people, we ask for your understanding of the true situation in Thailand and to support the patriotic and selfless Thai people in exercising their rights to protect their country from the tyrannical government of Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra who is a puppet of her brother Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra.

All Thai Citizens
'

The uneducated/poor Thai people are not stupid. There should be an election on Feb 2nd 2014. Most of them know they have been duped, but they will not vote for the Dems.The populace need an alternative to PTP and Suthep/Dems, where is it? If someone offers them an alternative party with a proper set of objectives, reduce corruption, uphold the rule of law (regardless of who you are, Red Bull beware), upgrade existing infrastructure (no high speed rail dream), replace rice mortgage scheme with a sensible alternative (direct subsidies to farmers) and reduce rice stockpiles (perhaps right off some as animal feed, donate some more to starving nations etc.), then , perhaps the endless cycle will be broken and Thailand can move forward. No amount of ranting and demonstration will do this. The Thai people will choose whom they want, give them an alternative to RED/YELLOW. If not then PTP will be returned by MAJORITY vote of 'All Thai citizens'. So PDRC stick your arguments and demonstrating up your fundamental orifice and PROVIDE an alternative for the majority to vote for OR live with your short sighted noisy wasteful actions.

• Like 1

If you truly believe that this country has anything like a 'democracy' as you know it in the West, you are seriously deluded. A ballot paper, bought or otherwise does not give a government the right to run roughshod over it's own country's Constitution, ignore it's country's Court decisions, all the while grabbing as much of it's country's tax payers' money and plotting to fill it's coffers with borrowed money with no transparency as to where this money is going. As another poster pointed out, try to imagine this happening in your country. You would still call it a Democracy? Pffft.

I understand this man's frustration. Many of you believe you're still living in Ohio/Basingstoke.

Democracy doesn't work in Thailand as a few old/new elites never allow it to.

The way to better quality politicians is to entrench democracy and the rule of law - not to abandon it altogether.

Edited by Melpomene
  • Like 1