what do you want to ask Thai people ?

thaiblether

How much extra horsepower can I get out of my 1993 Toyota Hilux if I add a wooden phallus to its key chain?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/29/poll-quarter-of-americans-say-god-influences-sporting-events/

How do Thai-men handle several Mia Nois without getting extremely stressed? Where do they find the time?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/18/how-i-learned-to-love-polygamy/

Edited by txp158

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Thai stores employ so many shop assistants none of whom know what the shop sells or where it is and precisely how much trying does it take to drum in the customer service answer of 'Mai mee' even when right in front of them. I also wonder how long it takes for supervisors to rise up the corporate ladder with the training to shake their head before a foreigner even asks the question. Is that just evolution at work?

• Like 1

Why Thai stores employ so many shop assistants none of whom know what the shop sells or where it is and precisely how much trying does it take to drum in the customer service answer of 'Mai mee' even when right in front of them. I also wonder how long it takes for supervisors to rise up the corporate ladder with the training to shake their head before a foreigner even asks the question. Is that just evolution at work?

Perhaps I can assist. Many shops don't hire the the clerks as they are hired by the brands they sell. For example cosmetics and building supplies are mostly the brand where the clerk stands. For example Clinique or Estee Lauder. Those lovely ladies don't work for Central they work for Clinique and Estee Lauder. The lady paid by Clionique may or may not know much about Jockey shorts.

Edited by thailiketoo

I've never understood why Thai people who dine at Fuji tolerate not having an expediter. In most restaurants I have been to outside of Thailand there is a person between the waiter and the cooks who times items on tickets so they all are cooked at the same or correct time. First, appetizers and then the main course and that all the entrees for a table come at the same time and so on.

In an operation like Fuji I would think they would employ at least 4 expediters to coordinate the line. But there are none there or they are asleep or the worst expediters in the world. Why do Thai people tolerate one person getting served before another and the courses out of sequence? To sum up the process. The waiter keys in the order to a computer while taking your order at the table and that goes directly to the cooks line instead of to a person who would coordinate each item to finish at the appropriate time.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Do Thais really believe that all the "whitening" products will actually make them white - before they die of the side effects?

I'm Thai and have reasonably white skin. My friends often ask me what skin care products I use to keep my skin this white. I tell them I hardly use any, besides regular lotion and facial cream, it's because of my genetics I'm naturally this color. IMO - I don't believe skin whitening cosmetics actually work. I'm sure some do, but not to the extent they show on T.V. Young girls get sucked into believing false adverts which promise ridiculous results.

This was a very important statement from you (for your-self) cause you could say you have a white skin. In EU and America there are plenty of white skinned women (little bit more than here) but this type what you use I have never seen only here. We say this type white: cellar white, with this question: why does your father keep you in cellar ??

If you must answer questions asked to Thai people, please make them not so idiotic. I mean what is this...

Why does your father keep you in the cellar???blink.png

<deleted> does that mean?? is that your garbage, attempt at humour??crazy.gif

Edited by krisb

Why do I pay tax but have no rights?

If by 'rights' you mean voting rights, then so is a foreigner in the UK on a work permit. Or anywhere else in the world. You are also able to move away, you know.

Let me ask you a question: Why are you so incapable of higher mental thought and must blame everything on the Thais with no realization that maybe, just maybe, it happens to other people elsewhere as well?

But wherever it happens it seems wrong and why should Thais not be asked the question the same as anywhere else? Why does being born on one place on Earth give you more rights in that place than another person who was born somewhere else on Earth? In fact why do some people born in Thailand have no rights here either. Seems all rather incestuous to me :-)

• Like 1

Perhaps I can assist. Many shops don't hire the the clerks as they are hired by the brands they sell. For example cosmetics and building supplies are mostly the brand where the clerk stands. For example Clinique or Estee Lauder. Those lovely ladies don't work for Central they work for Clinique and Estee Lauder. The lady paid by Clionique may or may not know much about Jockey shorts.

This I understand but then if I want to buy Jockey shorts I would be asking in the menswear department and if buying Clinique I would ask at the Clinique counter - frankly the answers given would not be too greatly different if I swapped who I asked. Obviously a generality but not so far off the mark. The worst are the supermarkets and places like Home Mart - just totally clueless assistants.

I would like to ask these:

- How can they watch day by day Thai soap operas with out any actor, actress, story and conception?

- Why do use high so Chinese girls curtains as clothes?

- Why do they think it is so lovely when they make these idiot self-pictures by their phones with V fingers?

- If you invite a few people to your home why do they come 5 times more than expected?

- Why do they think if they don't talk about something this doesn't exist (human traffic by own family, children prost., etc, etc)

- Have they plan or not to learn drive?

- Why do they carry kids in motorbikes with out helmet, and if something terrible is happened they talk about bad luck instead of their own idiocy?

- How long would they keep and stuff the high corrupted police, politician ans state officers?

- And who are you and why do you make joke with us here ???

If I would get answer to these questions it would be help a lot.

1) ask the creators of jersey shore, twilight and 50 shades of grey

2) i have no idea what you're talking about

3) ask the people who plank. Or your own daughter. Or go on facebook sometime. What an idiotic question

4) really? My thai friends keep flaking...

5) why do argentinians keep thinking that the falklands are theirs, or that they're white?

6) have you "plan or not" to learn english properly?

7) just laziness I suppose. And if you havent noticed, its hot as hell. The police are actively trying to fine people without helmets on. For their tea money obviously. But trying to uphold the law nonetheless! This is perhaps the only question you've asked which doesnt sound like its coming from a 5 year old.

8) do you not notice that there is a massive protest outside trying to addreas this? Maybe if you left your basement computer once in a while...

9) i grew up im thailand but now i work in canary wharf earning in a year what you make in a lifetime.

Dear small pitbull,

1. twilight and 50 shades of grey .... what are these ????

2. if you have not any idea, means you do it also

3.plank and self picture with V fingers are all the same, I have not daughter and my dog never does it. why should I visit facebook, those is your level

4. good for you, all your friends (all the 2) keep it, that's great

5. silly girl, those islands name is Las Malvinas and belong to Arg. White?

6. yes I have this plan, and what about you?

7. laziness? are you kidding, right? the police try to find any motorcyclist for any mistake cause this is money for mia noi, the helmet is an excellent reason.

8. here we have a new yellow activist. coming soon you and your activist friends will protest for every BKK chinese need double votes cause they are higher valued, if owns mercedes 5 votes, if owns factory 10 votes, if speaks isaan 0.25 vote. this is your team's democracy effort, and the world laughs for benito suthep.

9. canaries ? my god, these were a most sht place which I have visited in my life. I "had" luck for all of them, and I hope you work in grand canaria, this is the lowest. I advise you go also costa brava, rimini riccione, cote d'zur or disneyland.

I'm happy you earn in a year what I make in lifetime cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif what kind of big face clap2.gif as usually.

your English and your attitude are atrocious

as for "small pitbull"'s English, aside from typos, I would say it's flawless and pretty clearly from either a native speaker of English or someone who has learned English to a very high level....

• Like 1

The doctors are doctors, all the same at public or private hospital.

They are blase and willing to deny treatment to any-one if they don't sniff money-smell. It is no problem if some-one in need a life-threatening situation, or woman in childbirth.

If you show them your small finger problem they want to make an appendix operation. During my last visit they tried to sale for me a 10 baht valued nasal-dropp in 490 baht promotion price. (was a plain salt solution) I didn't take thought that it is enough charge the 1000 baht visit fee for those 7 minutes long show business.

If you don't see this or contest you are blind, brain washed or .... doctor.

I am a doctor. Care to substantiate your claim?
I wouldn't worry about Loles. Hes just another sad lifeform who made 10 too many poor life decisions and is now living in a cheap asian country in self imposed exile with no way out: money gone to the local bar girl and no skills for the labour market. Maybe it would've been better if he just went to the falklands and rested next to his brave brother who at least died for a cause. Not as if anyone would miss him anyway.

I'd reply to all of his posts but its 5am here and I just got out of the office (joys pf investment banking...) and I don't want to clutter an already large thread with more bile against an argentinian who can't speak proper english. Btw, I fully agree with the icj's decision, fyi. It is he who won't accept that great argentina lost the falklands both militarily and politically.

Maybe if he didn't open his posts with such idiotic questions I wouldn't be wasting my time like this!

Edited by sadhukar
  • Like 1

This I understand but then if I want to buy Jockey shorts I would be asking in the menswear department and if buying Clinique I would ask at the Clinique counter - frankly the answers given would not be too greatly different if I swapped who I asked. Obviously a generality but not so far off the mark. The worst are the supermarkets and places like Home Mart - just totally clueless assistants.

At most malls the Jockey shorts are right next to Clinique. Departments are placed by profit in a mall department store, the highest profit shops by the entrance and so on.

Actually I was referring to Home Mart where most of the employees are paid by the Brands and not Home Mart.

Having said that a lady spent 15 minutes with me at Home Mart when I was looking for a shower curtain and rod and hooks. She was a sweetheart and asked the other clerks for help as it was not her department.

Edited by thailiketoo

I would like to ask these:

- How can they watch day by day Thai soap operas with out any actor, actress, story and conception?

- Why do use high so Chinese girls curtains as clothes?

- Why do they think it is so lovely when they make these idiot self-pictures by their phones with V fingers?

- If you invite a few people to your home why do they come 5 times more than expected?

- Why do they think if they don't talk about something this doesn't exist (human traffic by own family, children prost., etc, etc)

- Have they plan or not to learn drive?

- Why do they carry kids in motorbikes with out helmet, and if something terrible is happened they talk about bad luck instead of their own idiocy?

- How long would they keep and stuff the high corrupted police, politician ans state officers?

- And who are you and why do you make joke with us here ???

If I would get answer to these questions it would be help a lot.

1) ask the creators of jersey shore, twilight and 50 shades of grey

2) i have no idea what you're talking about

3) ask the people who plank. Or your own daughter. Or go on facebook sometime. What an idiotic question

4) really? My thai friends keep flaking...

5) why do argentinians keep thinking that the falklands are theirs, or that they're white?

6) have you "plan or not" to learn english properly?

7) just laziness I suppose. And if you havent noticed, its hot as hell. The police are actively trying to fine people without helmets on. For their tea money obviously. But trying to uphold the law nonetheless! This is perhaps the only question you've asked which doesnt sound like its coming from a 5 year old.

8) do you not notice that there is a massive protest outside trying to addreas this? Maybe if you left your basement computer once in a while...

9) i grew up im thailand but now i work in canary wharf earning in a year what you make in a lifetime.

Dear small pitbull,

1. twilight and 50 shades of grey .... what are these ????

2. if you have not any idea, means you do it also

3.plank and self picture with V fingers are all the same, I have not daughter and my dog never does it. why should I visit facebook, those is your level

4. good for you, all your friends (all the 2) keep it, that's great

5. silly girl, those islands name is Las Malvinas and belong to Arg. White?

6. yes I have this plan, and what about you?

7. laziness? are you kidding, right? the police try to find any motorcyclist for any mistake cause this is money for mia noi, the helmet is an excellent reason.

8. here we have a new yellow activist. coming soon you and your activist friends will protest for every BKK chinese need double votes cause they are higher valued, if owns mercedes 5 votes, if owns factory 10 votes, if speaks isaan 0.25 vote. this is your team's democracy effort, and the world laughs for benito suthep.

9. canaries ? my god, these were a most sht place which I have visited in my life. I "had" luck for all of them, and I hope you work in grand canaria, this is the lowest. I advise you go also costa brava, rimini riccione, cote d'zur or disneyland.

I'm happy you earn in a year what I make in lifetime cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif what kind of big face clap2.gif as usually.

your English and your attitude are atrocious

as for "small pitbull"'s English, aside from typos, I would say it's flawless and pretty clearly from either a native speaker of English or someone who has learned English to a very high level....

Dear Pacharaphet,

your English and your attitude are amazing. Thanks for your kind words.

I guess it's much better if you contact with her directly and can praise each other non stop.

Like this:

- Your education is wonderful and your English is unbelievable, guess you are author of British Encyclopaedia.

- No, 555, you are who is amazing and guess you are an associate professor of Yale.

- Not at all I'm only a vice president who is waiting for advancement. And what about you?

- I'm only ... God.

• Like 1

The doctors are doctors, all the same at public or private hospital.

They are blase and willing to deny treatment to any-one if they don't sniff money-smell. It is no problem if some-one in need a life-threatening situation, or woman in childbirth.

If you show them your small finger problem they want to make an appendix operation. During my last visit they tried to sale for me a 10 baht valued nasal-dropp in 490 baht promotion price. (was a plain salt solution) I didn't take thought that it is enough charge the 1000 baht visit fee for those 7 minutes long show business.

If you don't see this or contest you are blind, brain washed or .... doctor.

I am a doctor. Care to substantiate your claim?
I wouldn't worry about Loles. Hes just another sad lifeform who made 10 too many poor life decisions and is now living in a cheap asian country in self imposed exile with no way out: money gone to the local bar girl and no skills for the labour market. Maybe it would've been better if he just went to the falklands and rested next to his brave brother who at least died for a cause. Not as if anyone would miss him anyway.

I'd reply to all of his posts but its 5am here and I just got out of the office (joys pf investment banking...) and I don't want to clutter an already large thread with more bile against an argentinian who can't speak proper english. Btw, I fully agree with the icj's decision, fyi. It is he who won't accept that great argentina lost the falklands both militarily and politically.

Maybe if he didn't open his posts with such idiotic questions I wouldn't be wasting my time like this!

Dear Doctor,

do you mean CCTV record, two eyewitnesses, documents of case history, prescription of nasal drops, such things ?

Dear Sadhukar,

You've got it. Amazing, again amazing, always amazing. Means you can't secede from your slogan. Bar girls, sadness, impecuniousness, But this is a new: "self-imposed exile". I wub.png it.

Baby, you only miss this as I told before.

Off course my brother is resting in BA. He was brave enough.

Happy to know you cheer for UN ICJ's decision. You are so brave.

Why do you work till morning? Are you slow?

I have a deja vu with you. 11 years ago at Christmas time my younger sister invited to our house her law-faculty mate, a Thai girl (anyway was Chinese) Meo, cause Meo was alone, couldn't get home, failed a terminal examination. This idiot told this: " I very like to sleep, cause when I'm reawaken I'm richer than I was last evening. " And this girl got work in London. May be you know her, or may be ...

• Like 1

I want to ask, "Why every single Thai person I meet asks me, "How long have you been in Thailand?"".

Thank you.

Or some other tired boring question such as:

"Do you like Thailand?"

"What do you like about Thailand?"

I tend to answer them with something like:"Sometimes I like Thailand, sometimes I don't like Thailand."

That throws them completely off balance. I feel like I'm I'm North Korea when speaking to most Thais for the first time (especially those who have had limited exposure to the world outside tiny Thailand).

I often laugh as they ask me how long I've been here then after I tell them 20 years, they ask, "do you like it"?

I could ask myself on Panthip but if you really want to post a question - "why do nearly all Thais I ask not like Indians when Lord Buddha was from India?"

To add:

and, not only Lord Buddha but also half (or some significant percentage) of Thai culture/language having originated in India and Thai people themselves very obviously having been genetically mixed with Oriental and Indian blood? Do they think they are fooling somebody?

When asking for something in Thai, when a farang makes a mistake with a tone, why do most Thai's not realize what is being asked for in the context of the sentence and correct the farang's tone, or just work out what the farang wanted.

For example, sitting and eating at a table with only seafood and rice, farang says:

ผ่านฉันขเขา

by mistake, he meant to say:

ผ่านฉันข้าว

There were no 'animal horns' on the table, why can most Thai people not understand 'animal horns' and 'rice' sound similar, and there is rice on the table so that is what the farang would like to be passed.

Thanks

Please tell me this was a joke. The possible reason that a Thai person would be perplexed here regardless of whether they understood rice or horns is that the word ผ่าน makes NO sense in this context.....you could use เอาข้าวมาให้หน่อย (ได้ไหม)(ครับ) ขอข้าวหน่อย .....and several other things, but the word ผ่าน means to pass in terms of to pass by, or to pass a test....the meaning of pass here is more like ส่งให้

sorry, I haven't followed your posts up til now, so maybe you are being totally ironic, in which case, well done! if it was a serious inquiry, I would say the answer can be expressed in many ways:

1. they seriously do not know what you are trying to say: I read to the end of your post before I was actually sure what you meant with ผ่านฉันข้าว

the word ฉัน means to eat when referring to monks (ฉันเพล) and you are a man it seems, so you should be referring to yourself as ผม or possibly with your name or some other pronoun suitable to the situation ....... maybe they wanted to know what you were saying, but their imagination led them to: some monk has already eaten (not animal horns, though, they probably knew you meant rice, hell, in lao and isaan the two pronounciations are very similar, and in ancient Thai, the word was written as เข้า so yeah, most likely that wasn't the problem) .....a bit too extensive of an explanation, maybe, sorry

2. they are impatient, not necessarily rude at heart, but just don't feel like being bothered to deconstruct your phrasing

3. they don't really want to hear you butchering pronunciation, tones, word choice and grammar all at the same time........not defending people with this attitude, but nevertheless I'm sure some people must feel this way as with the first two as well

I feel like most of the time Thais can actually decipher what is being said if it is within a context.....and if the grammar/word usage is at least somewhat close

to test your theory, sit with a new group of people and say คอเขาน่อยครับ ...my money is on them all understanding you, and maybe, just maybe, someone will correct you on ONE of the mispronounced tones/vowel lengths (but where to begin? neck/horn/isaan(or lao) pronunc. of little?)

Hi

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it was a serious question, not a joke. The example I used with 'animal horn' v 'rice' was not the only time this has happened. Please appreciate I am in the learning stages of speaking and reading Thai.

The my question was more about many Thai people being perplexed when faced with a Thai word pronounced incorrectly. Another example would be if I want to go to the bus station, to farang ears bear can sound a little like bus

ไปที่สถานีรถแบก incorrect

ไปที่สถานีรถเมล์ correct

so many times I make a small (small to my farang ears anyway) mistake with the tone, and just get a totally blank look. When I go further to explain like say:

ไปที่สถานี รถ หลาย คน ใน (very clumsy thai like I am say to go to the station where there is big vehicle with many people inside)

They say 'oh รถเมล์ / รถbus'

I have a thai friend who always can put the word in the correct context, however he spent half his life in the UK and Ireland. I even have chatted to someone from Laos who could put things into context. I am not saying Thai people never can do this but it I do find this often, which is why I asked the question.

Of course I hope as my Thai improves my tones my pronunciation will improve too, however it is frustrating when I know the vocab, but I get a blank look when I got the tone a bit wrong. When it is the other way round I always put things into context.

Lucky I can get my pronunciation correct to say ฉันชอบกินกล้วย though 55555

Thanks smile.png

I want a pint or two of whatever it is that Loles is drinking!

Or maybe he's just swum from Quilmes to Colonia Del Sacramento,with Uruguay legalising Marijuana and I need some of what he's been smoking?laugh.png

Man, here you are.

Ichitan or Oishi cha manao.

Just visited Montevideo so may be ... w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

I want to ask, "Why every single Thai person I meet asks me, "How long have you been in Thailand?"".

Thank you.

Or some other tired boring question such as:

"Do you like Thailand?"

"What do you like about Thailand?"

I tend to answer them with something like:"Sometimes I like Thailand, sometimes I don't like Thailand."

That throws them completely off balance. I feel like I'm I'm North Korea when speaking to most Thais for the first time (especially those who have had limited exposure to the world outside tiny Thailand).

I often laugh as they ask me how long I've been here then after I tell them 20 years, they ask, "do you like it"?

I could ask myself on Panthip but if you really want to post a question - "why do nearly all Thais I ask not like Indians when Lord Buddha was from India?"

To add:

and, not only Lord Buddha but also half (or some significant percentage) of Thai culture/language having originated in India and Thai people themselves very obviously having been genetically mixed with Oriental and Indian blood? Do they think they are fooling somebody?

The Tai–Kadai languages, also known as Daic, Kadai, Kradai, or Kra–Dai, are a language family of highly tonal languages found in southern China and Southeast Asia. They include Thai and Lao, the national languages of Thailand and Laos respectively. There are nearly 100 million speakers of these languages in the world.

The diversity of the Tai–Kadai languages in southeastern China, especially in Guizhou and Hainan, suggests that this is close to their homeland. The Tai branch moved south into Southeast Asia only about a thousand years ago, founding the nations that later became Thailand and Laos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai%E2%80%93Kadai_languages

Edited by thailiketoo

So OP:

Do they think that being conditioned, indocrinated and brainwashed from birth, about a topic that cannot be questioned, under fear of arrest and 15 years imprisonment, is a good or bad thing for a society?

When do I get my answer? neus.gif

OK, so where does the Thai language and people come from? India or China?

Shouldn't the OP, the nice Thai Lassie, be answering this and the other questions raised?

thaiblether, come out, come out, where ever you are ... rolleyes.gif

Do you mean a Thai person would know where the Thai language and ancestors came from? Who would have thought it?

If the OP is indeed a Thai person, which I have strong doubts about, then I have a question for Thai people.

Why do Thai people start troll threads like this and the previous one, then don't answer a single question or even return to the thread, and probably start the next one in a few days.

Does this mean that all Thai people are green and live under a bridge ?

• Like 2

OK, so where does the Thai language and people come from? India or China?

Shouldn't the OP, the nice Thai Lassie, be answering this and the other questions raised?

thaiblether, come out, come out, where ever you are ... rolleyes.gif.

Do you mean a Thai person would know where the Thai language and ancestors came from? Who would have thought it?

You can but hope Laddie ... can but hope.

Thai girls are so desperate to look european with all their nose surgeries and whitening creams. Why then for God's sake they dont shave their legs??? Nobody could answer me so far. Just curious.

And my second question which is more serious. Here are the examples of situations Ive witnessed. I was on a bus and one girl felt seek. She was with a friend and smth really bad happened to her. Smth like a stroke i guess. Bus stopped in the middle of highway and waited paitently for the ambulance. All passengers were sitting in their places starring at the girl and gossiping her. Once the ambulance arrived many started to take photos and videos. And the girl said im sorry 1 million times leaving the bus for the ambulance car. My question is <deleted>??? Why ppl havecto make photos of a situation like that? Whats wrong with them?? This is so wild for me. Another example i witnessed the other day from a distance being on the bridge and crossing the street - car/motorbike crash on the road. Motorbike driver was lying on the road. And again ppl on the bridge started photoshooting not even embarresed of what they do.

Im not the type of person who will discuss other ppls "faults" like level of education life goals the way to dress etc. I have no right for it. Im a stranger in this country and nobody invited me here. But when it comes to questions like my second one i really want to know the answers..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app