Leaving Thailand for Japan...Thai immigration question

Hi all and a Merry Christmas to you.

I have a friend who is going to work in Japan. He already has the "Japanese Teacher's Visa" approved in his passport. He is leaving on the 1st.

He has a work permit and Non-B here in Thailand both expiring in Feb 2014.

Question: Can he just front up to the airport and leave on the 1st or will they ask for a letter of termination from the school etc?

Thanks for your help.

He needs to cancel his WP, and depending on if he is on an extension of stay or a visa entry needs to cancel his permission to stay. What most people do is to just go to the airprot and leave.

I would certainly cancel the WP, it can prevent problems with the labour department in the future.

• Like 1

The correct way to do it is to cancel the work permit. Then go to immigration on the date his job ends with the letter to cancel the extension and either leave on that date or apply for a 7 day extension.

Since he is leaving from the airport he not have a problem unless his employer has already notified immigration that his job has ended. In that case he would be liable for an overstay fine of 500 baht per day from the date his extension was canceled.

He needs to cancel his WP, and depending on if he is on an extension of stay or a visa entry needs to cancel his permission to stay. What most people do is to just go to the airprot and leave.

I would certainly cancel the WP, it can prevent problems with the labour department in the future.

Mario2008, thanks for your reply. Will they let him just leave without his cancelling the WP and applying for an extension? That is the big question. The school has not cancelled his work permit yet. There is only tomorrow and Friday left, then 5days when immigration will be closed during which time he will fly out. I don't think he intends returning to Thailand.

The correct way to do it is to cancel the work permit. Then go to immigration on the date his job ends with the letter to cancel the extension and either leave on that date or apply for a 7 day extension. Since he is leaving from the airport he not have a problem unless his employer has already notified immigration that his job has ended. In that case he would be liable for an overstay fine of 500 baht per day from the date his extension was canceled.

Thanks for the info. I know that is the correct thing to do but with only 2 days left before immigration closes for 5 days during which he leaves on 1st, can he just fly out without doing any of that?

Thanks

I quit my job twice in Thailand. The first time I just left via land border and that was it. The second time they wanted to see a letter confirming the termination of employment from my previous employer and wouldn't let me leave Thailand without it, so I had to go back and get it!!!

Edit: Deleted quote coding and removed previous post. Ubonjoe

I simply left to cancel my extension of stay. Immigration officer spotted I had no re-entry permit and said you will lose this if you leave Thailand. I said, "That's the plan." He said, "Are you absolutely sure?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Sure sure? Last chance," with the stamp hovering above my passport. I said, "Sure." He brought the stamp down with a smile. I thanked him. That was Nong Khai.

I think my employer got round to cancelling my WP a few weeks later. I didn't care. Never had any repercussions.

Just leaving is usually fine.