Mae Sot Hotels / Teak Timber Suppliers

JuniorExPat

I have a customer who wants to import teak timber into a lovely little duty free, tax free island in the Caribbean(!).

Not having traded in this commodity before I've been asking around and several people have sent me to explore Mae Sot.

So - can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in the area and does anyone have any experience in buying teak timber and therefore any recommendations on that front?

JxP

I have a customer who wants to import teak timber into a lovely little duty free, tax free island in the Caribbean(!).

Not having traded in this commodity before I've been asking around and several people have sent me to explore Mae Sot.

So - can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in the area and does anyone have any experience in buying teak timber and therefore any recommendations on that front?

JxP

My two businesses are concerned with teak. island-teak.com & classictender.com

Rough teak does not enter Thailand via Mae Sot.

Teak has recently been stopped from entering China via Northern Myanmar so almost no 'China' teak is entering Thailand. However, some teak is entering Thailand at Chiang Saen direct from Myanmar. However, direct rough teak exports from Thailand are subject to a high tarrif.

The Yangon teak log auction yards are where you ultimately want to end up.

If you are a US citizen you are barred from purchasing teak directly from Myanmar.

You really have to learn the qualities and the varying values . Being knowledgeable concerning Myanmar teak grading rules is a good place to start.

There is a fairly steep learning curve when buying rough teak, as there is with gemstones.

Good luck.......Ken

Sawn or raw timber used to attract an export tax of around 30% if memory serves me correct.Be carefull.

Thanks Chuchok, payment up front on all products that I am unfamiliar with! From first cursory investigation it seems that if you rub a piece of sandpaper over the timber it then comes into the 'furniture' export category. :D

You have some experience with this?

JxP

BTW: I made a similar 'innocent' remark to my wife about one of her sisters - it IS amazing how ticked off some people can get, isn't it?! :o

Sawn or raw timber used to attract an export tax of around 30% if memory serves me correct.Be carefull.

Thanks Chuchok, payment up front on all products that I am unfamiliar with! From first cursory investigation it seems that if you rub a piece of sandpaper over the timber it then comes into the 'furniture' export category. :D

You have some experience with this?

JxP

BTW: I made a similar 'innocent' remark to my wife about one of her sisters - it IS amazing how ticked off some people can get, isn't it?! :o

I'm sure ken will be able to point you in the right direction here.

As I'm sure you are aware, any 'timber' could be classified as 'furniture' if you grease the right palms, however this is something that I would not recommend. :D

Yes, central is ok, nice pool. Although they do go up to 2000k in busy periods.

Also have stayed at 'KC' i think it was from memory, was suitable for a cheap stay, 500b i think from memory and just around the corner from central on the main road north, just about 500 meters on the left.

As I'm sure you are aware, any 'timber' could be classified as 'furniture' if you grease the right palms, however this is something that I would not recommend. :o

Hi Chuchok,

Rough sawn teak is such a hot commodity, especially in Chiengmai, that I would doubt it is possible to add 'grease'. If the order is too small it isn't worth the problem and if it is too big.....maybe more problems.

As for Myanmar government/corruption etc...

I once brought a substantial amount of cash into Yangon for a container of rough sawn teak lumber

and did not declare it upon entry. The Myanmar Gov. controls all teak exports and before we were allowed export permission we had to take the cash out of Myanmar and re enter with appropriate documentation for the money. The everyday working civil service is very bureaucratic. Quite unlike Thailand.

...Ken