File search or disk catalog software

PeterSmiles

I have a Windows home server 2003 set up with over 200.000 songs, 1000 Movies, a few thousand video clips and concerts etc., all properly sorted and tagged.

Now if I want to find a particular song, most of the time the search function from windows can't find it or it takes long time.

So what I'm looking for is a piece of software, preferably free, that catalogs the file names and responds fast to searches.

It should use little disk space, so it shouldn't index the content of the files. What it has to do is that if I search for a particular song title it has to tell me fast which album contains that song.

Any suggestions ?

I think that "Cathy" would suit your needs.

http://www.mtg.sk/rva/

I had a look at Cathy before i started this thread found through a " best software " google, but of course those results can be manipulated.

Have you used this software and is it fast ?

Let me at the same time make my quest a bit more complicated. It would be perfect if the software was available on the Android platform.

I play my music through a media tank, which of course has no usable search function.

The music and music video catalog content in fact rarely changes, so if i could store the catalog on an Android device for instance, then I could just look up the song title on the tablet and then navigate to the required folder on the media tank.

Have you tried PlayerPro on Android?

At least for the music.

Had a quick look at it, but it seems to be a player which stores images for the albums etc, so it would take up too much resources I guess.

What I need is a simple cataloger, which tells me that a certain song I search for, can be found in that particular folder on my server.

It doesn't have to connect to the server, it just has to import the list and take up as less space as possible.

At least for the music.

Had a quick look at it, but it seems to be a player which stores images for the albums etc, so it would take up too much resources I guess.

What I need is a simple cataloger, which tells me that a certain song I search for, can be found in that particular folder on my server.

It doesn't have to connect to the server, it just has to import the list and take up as less space as possible.

It will take a time indexing them and downloading the album art (which is tiny), but give it a try.

At least for the music.

It will take a time indexing them and downloading the album art (which is tiny), but give it a try.

Is it possible to disable the software from indexing the album art, and if I do a search for " the river " , will it show me that this song is located in Folder S > Santana > Santana-Greatest > Santana - Festival , and eventual all other locations where a song with that title is stored on my server, without being connected to the server ?

You select what folder you want to index. And yes, you can turn off album art.

As for multiple instances, I don't know.

But there's a free version, why don't you try it? If you don't like it, just get rid.

If you want something for the PC, try MusikCube.

I use everything.exe.

Simple, small, pretty quick and free. The first time it indexes my attached (2TB) drives, it takes a minute or two, but then it's very fast until I dismount my laptop from my office dock and mount at home, and it indexes again.

I don't use it to look at network drives, just those connected by USB.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I second the use of 'everything.exe', an excellent free program.

It doesn't seem to be available for android, so not really of use to me.

The point is that I want top be able to look up on a tablet or smartphone in which folder a song is stored on the server, so that I have no need to log in to the pc or server each time to perform a search.

You select what folder you want to index. And yes, you can turn off album art.

As for multiple instances, I don't know.

But there's a free version, why don't you try it? If you don't like it, just get rid.

If you want something for the PC, try MusikCube.

I had a look at PlayerPro, but it seems to only index the files present on your android device and isn't able to search files present on a desktop. If that is correct it isn't of use to me.

Been Googling I found Splashtop, which is a remote desktop app . So in that case I can install the indexing software on my windows server and access it from my android device through the Splashtop app.

Anyone experience with Splastop ?

I install "everything" on all my computers. It is an amazingly fast, very lightweight, small installation which uses a tiny amount of ram. Like any good software, it puts the microsoft equivalent to absolute shame. It's free, as well. Only .3 mb dl. You will be amazed at its quickness, you will see your file immediately as soon as you type in the first few letters of its name. Get it here: http://www.voidtools.com/download.htm

• Like 1

Let me at the same time make my quest a bit more complicated. It would be perfect if the software was available on the Android platform.

Ah. Moving goalposts.

Plex for Android should do it but I would probably go for one of the MediaMonkey addons:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/browse/sharing-remote-access/

I second the use of 'everything.exe', an excellent free program.

It doesn't seem to be available for android, so not really of use to me.

Please post back if you find anything.

This far I think my best option is to install everything.exe on my server and Splashtop remote desktop on my Android device.

This far I think my best option is to install everything.exe on my server and Splashtop remote desktop on my Android device.

That seems a clumsy way of doing it. MonkeyMonkey + remote extensions would require no software at all on your Android device though you would still have complete access to all the data via your browser. I would try that first.

That seems a clumsy way of doing it. MonkeyMonkey + remote extensions would require no software at all on your Android device though you would still have complete access to all the data via your browser. I would try that first.

I guess you have this one in mind MediaMonkey Web Interface (MMWI) 1.1 ?

But I don't understand their details.

It says I have not to install software on my computer and neither do i have to install an app on my android. Bit hard to figure out how it can work without having to install anything on either device.

It requires no installation on your computer, and it works directly from any browser.

This also means there are no apps to download to your smartphone. Just point your browser to MMWI and you're good to go.

First install MediaMonkey on the PC. Let it scan your files. Then add the extension. Then access the MediaMonkey data from your Android device via the web browser on the device.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll give it a try soon.

Since we are in the right direction already, let's add some more to the quest.

My media player is a Himedia HD910B , this mediaplayer has dual operating system, so it can be start up in android.

I found already that XBMC can not be installed on it, due to it having Realtek chipset.

So any idea how i could operate it with my android phone ?

First install MediaMonkey on the PC. Let it scan your files. Then add the extension. Then access the MediaMonkey data from your Android device via the web browser on the device.

I installed Media Monkey onn the server and let it scan the files, but the software seems to have compatibility issues with Windows Home server .

Opening or closing the program may take hours, and when open it many times gives " not responding " messages.

Seems also to interfere with remote desktop as it disconnect the remote desktop every so often.

However when it works it's provides very fast search.

I'm trying to find away around now to save the list as a searchable file on Android.

I installed Media Monkey onn the server and let it scan the files, but the software seems to have compatibility issues with Windows Home server .

Opening or closing the program may take hours, and when open it many times gives " not responding " messages.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I used it very successfully at one point on a regular Windows machine.

I see that Foobar2000 has a similar plug-in. It might be worth trying that.