When the Skytrain stopped, so did Bangkok

webfact

EDITORIAL
When the Skytrain stopped, so did Bangkok

The Nation

The latest transport breakdown has underlined the need for a network of mass-transit lines covering key locations in the city

BANGKOK: -- Tuesday morning was a nightmare for hundreds of thousands of Bangkok commuters when the entire Skytrain system ground to a halt during rush hour. It was the first system-wide failure in its 14 years of operation.

Gridlock quickly gripped the capital, spreading along roads that are usually accessible by the Skytrain. Huge crowds gathered at bus stops and the MRT subway was flooded with people looking for an alternative way to work.

Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), which operates the elevated train system, blamed the breakdown on a problem with the ongoing installation of platform screen doors, a new addition meant to enhance passenger safety. The firm's chairman, Khiri Kanchanapas, personally apologised for the hitch, which saw all trains halted from 6 to 11am. After an estimated 200,000 trips had been cancelled, full service resumed at about 1pm.

A similar problem hit Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway system earlier this month, although the disruption was not system-wide. A power failure on a train line halted services for nearly five hours on December 16, leaving thousands of passengers in limbo. Commuters were angered by the failure of the Hong Kong operator's contingency plans.

The elevated BTS and the underground MRT are Bangkok's most reliable ways of beating the traffic, especially during the morning and evening rush hours. Buses, vans, taxis, boats and motorcycle-taxis all have their disadvantages when it comes to the mass transport of commuters during peak traffic hours.

In contrast, the best and most sustainable solution to Bangkok's traffic woes is our two mass transit systems, able to whisk millions of passengers each day across the congested capital. The authorities are well aware of this, and construction of more transit lines is underway, with some scheduled to open in the next few years. However, it will take longer before we get a network of mass-transit routes to cover the entire city.

Meanwhile the exiting Skytrain and subway are absorbing all the pressure from the growing number of commuters. As such, their operators must ensure that regular maintenance and effective contingency plans are in place to deal with emergencies.

Problems like Tuesday's are rare and unexpected. The failure was tied to installation of platform doors, but we don't yet know the details. The operator needs to identify the cause and do its best to prevent it from happening again. At stake is not only the daily commute of tens of thousands of Bangkokians but also the credibility of the BTS.

This latest transport breakdown has underlined the need for a network of mass-transit lines covering key locations of the city. That way, commuters would have an alternative route to use when one line, or even an entire system, suffers from disruption.

The capital now has two mass transit train systems and four lines. With the existing network already creaking under ever-increasing demand, more needs to be done to speed up expansion of both systems.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-26

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok's BTS and MRT are two fine mass transit systems. Clearly a great mass transit system is one that works and one that provides passenger security included in the price of a ticket. This breakdown of the BTS reflects poor management, security and safety. The delay in communications is a terrible management breakdown.

Fourteen years without a major problem, I think your post is a bit over the top. If disruption of the system becomes a regular occurrence then I might agree with you.

Yes but as far as last week is concerned, a terrible record. :D

I also think disruption means a few missing trains or trains being late..... not a complete system failure.

It happens in London, why should we not expect the same in Thailand?

Let us hope we manage another 14 years.

• Like 1

Bangkok's BTS and MRT are two fine mass transit systems. Clearly a great mass transit system is one that works and one that provides passenger security included in the price of a ticket. This breakdown of the BTS reflects poor management, security and safety. The delay in communications is a terrible management breakdown.

Fourteen years without a major problem, I think your post is a bit over the top. If disruption of the system becomes a regular occurrence then I might agree with you.

Agree with you there mate, 14 years without a major hitch is a fine achievement. Personally I think Thailand. Can be proud of the MRT system in Bangkok.

which was designed, built and taught how to be maintained largely by the Japanese, to be clear.

• Like 2

Agree with you there mate, 14 years without a major hitch is a fine achievement. Personally I think Thailand. Can be proud of the MRT system in Bangkok.

Not to be confused, this is about the BTS, not MRT.The MRT, as we know, had a number of problems even in its early stages, including dead and injured people.

Edited by sniffdog

This breakdown is an example of the 4th Law of Thermodynamics: "Sometimes, stuff just happens" Even on the most advanced projects run under superb management, there will be hiccups.

14 years between system wide failures is a success in any engineering project. The fact that there were no injuries or fatalities related to the failure is another feather in their cap.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

It's not the first time the system has been offline.

I'm sure I can remember others.

Guys, the BTS basically is OK and helps a lot in Bangkok mass transit. Enough clean stations and trains, enough safe areas and trips. Which made by human can be failed anytime and any-where. Fortunately the system works well except a few case like this or when the door of train is opened during the traveling. (Chinese fake trains are not siemens wink.png )

I bet TFL, the operators of the London underground, would like to make the same claim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by bushman1666
  • Like 1

In the modern Western world I hail from, our urban mass transit is falling apart in many places (even as plans are afoot for bullet train lines), and while we have not had a system-wide stoppage in any of our cities for awhile, our infrastructure is pretty inadequate, and often getting worse as government funds dry up. Many cities are also contemplating privatization, which, given its track record, is a dubious proposition.

The upgrade involving platform doors coordinated with the train's doors is a sign that good things are happening, or trying to happen, in Bangkok. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen back home, though.

A bad morning but a good track record. Good on you BTS! The BTS is fun to ride, and even with old morality slowly eroding old people are still given occupied seats by younger Thais (and myself). Wow. For once I am proud of TV posters. No conspiracy theorists or political discussion hijacking a thread. It must be the Christmas lag event....

Happy New Year, and may you all be safe, sound, loved and happy (especially those of you who do not like what I say)!

wai.gif

• Like 2

which was designed, built and taught how to be maintained largely by the Japanese, to be clear.

To be clear, and more importantly, the M&E was designed, built and maintained by Siemens who employed mainly British and German Engineers to supervise the project. Even the Japanese civil engineering contractor employed British and German Engineers in key positions to supervise the construction.

Current problems were due to the desire to dump Siemens and buy Chinese rolling stock. As a result, BTS employed the Canadian Company Bombardier to

install a new control system for the skytrain network. Troubles have occurred during up dates to the control system software and Wi-Fi communication system during the installation of new gates at Phrompong station. Occasional, momentary breaks in communication, have been occurring with the Bombardier Wi-Fi system for some time, resulting in trains stopping for short times while the system recalculates where all the trains are. Problems also occur during very heavy rain due to slippage of the train wheels which throw the system out of sync.

• Like 1

The trains are from Siemens - that is a german company.

And this post reflects the poor understanding and over-dramatic reaction of the situation by the poster.

What was the security and safety problem that you saw (imagined)?

The delay in communications was what? How would you expect the BTS operators to communicate the issues to you more efficiently than they did in the (unforseen) circumstances. Do you want a personal messenger sent to your door?

I have watched the BTS grow and indeed it is our main mechanism of transport around Bangkok. In the beginning there were just three carriages per train, now mostly 5 and still room to add more carriages to the trains, what is the maximum does anyone know?

The platforms were made long enough, unfortunately the trains are now running almost packed to capacity, and exiting the station, particularly if two trains arrive at once or worst still four trains arrive at once at the BTS interchange station Siam, is a bit of a nightmare.

It’s not just train lengths that need to be increased it’s also the frequency of trains (more trains themselves). The BTS is in some ways a victim of its success!