Gloves

robblok

Hi,

I got a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 gloves I used them on a longer ride where I had to use the throttle a lot (heavy traffic) and i felt that the gloves were not gripping the throttle as good as my bare hand. Am I expecting too much or are there better gloves about.

I am a newbie about riding gear but have become more safety conscious so i try to wear it but if i have to wear it I need to know if this is normal or I could buy better gloves. They were quite tight (the gloves)

That shouldn't happen with any motorcycle-specific glove- are you using aftermarket grips with metal on them? Are the palms getting worn?

I looked at those gloves just now, and I didn't see anything wrong with them (though I like a glove with a bit more scaphoid protection and some plastic sliders to reduce friction in a slide). The reviews say it's a good warm-weather glove- I only saw one that mentioned your issue, and it seemed to be due to the grips rather than the gloves.

• Like 1

robblok, a lot of gloves have a shark skin type texture to the throttle grip area on the glove palm, well all my gloves have for that very reason, non slip. I know Joe Rocket make good gloves. So they should have a rough textured appearance on the right glove palm? You could also be experiencing muscle fatigue without overly realising it.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

That shouldn't happen with any motorcycle-specific glove- are you using aftermarket grips with metal on them? Are the palms getting worn?

I looked at those gloves just now, and I didn't see anything wrong with them (though I like a glove with a bit more scaphoid protection and some plastic sliders to reduce friction in a slide). The reviews say it's a good warm-weather glove- I only saw one that mentioned your issue, and it seemed to be due to the grips rather than the gloves.

Might be that they are a bit too tight, and that makes it harder to grip. I am not sure but thanks for the imput.

I have driven d3 grips on the bike so that should not be the problem. Thanks anyway for the replies i will look into it.

Part might be because i am used not using gloves.

a proper glove needs to be tight if you ask me. but it is strange not gettign good grip from a glove.

paddock and panda rider ha lots of options. I got a komine track gauntlet recently for 2900 thb which is cool.

panda rider has nice revit gloves with gore tex means a lot comfy.

I think the interpretation of 'tight fit' is a relative concept. I like my gloves to be snug enough that my hand will not slip inside the glove at any time on a ride or the track. I would call it a 'firm but not overly constraining fit' as my preference, as I still want circulation to stop numbness. Don't fall into the trap that tighter is better. :)

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

I think the interpretation of 'tight fit' is a relative concept. I like my gloves to be snug enough that my hand will not slip inside the glove at any time on a ride or the track. I would call it a 'firm but not overly constraining fit' as my preference, as I still want circulation to stop numbness. Don't fall into the trap that tighter is better. smile.png

especially if buying a new glove, if you ask me, tight is better as it will expand over time especially if it is leather.

Biggest mistake while buying a gear is getting a comfy size at the beginning and that comfy size expands a size up and make the gear loose therefore less safe.

The last gloves i bought from Paddock - a komine full track gloves was so tight - as i have chosen it that way - and gave me little pain - as usual for me for all my new gloves - on my first ride to home and while riding to Kaeng Krachan but once i arrive Kaeng Krachan, the next day, gloves fit perfect and no pain or disturbance.

After the track day last weekend, they are great as they expanded and fits perfectly with a little bit of room for air and no disturbance.

• Like 1

I've got a pair of Knox Handroid gloves- they're made to help your grip remain neutral- Panda sells them and they're worth checking out- a bit pricey, but very protective:

hand_armour_home_handroid_1.jpg

this model of knox looks great and feel like a tank and actually they are not very expensive but no size for me.

But, the adjustment knob on the wrist looks like a wrist breaker and it disturbed my wrists while trying the XL size which is too big for my hands.

do you think that knob creates problems in case of an accident?

I've got a pair of Knox Handroid gloves- they're made to help your grip remain neutral- Panda sells them and they're worth checking out- a bit pricey, but very protective:

this model of knox looks great and feel like a tank and actually they are not very expensive but no size for me.

But, the adjustment knob on the wrist looks like a wrist breaker and it disturbed my wrists while trying the XL size which is too big for my hands.

Good question, personally I'm not a fan of mechanisms on gloves, boots no problem, but with gloves: velcro, straps & buckles is all I require.

I don't see the adjuster as being an issue having ridden with them quite a while.

They run $250 in the States and 9K at Panda- to me, that's pricey for a pair of gloves.;)

I don't see the adjuster as being an issue having ridden with them quite a while.

They run $250 in the States and 9K at Panda- to me, that's pricey for a pair of gloves.wink.png

Cheap is else but it might be worth it.

Good question, personally I'm not a fan of mechanisms on gloves, boots no problem, but with gloves: velcro, straps & buckles is all I require.

exactly, this is what i think as well.

especially if buying a new glove, if you ask me, tight is better as it will expand over time especially if it is leather.

Biggest mistake while buying a gear is getting a comfy size at the beginning and that comfy size expands a size up and make the gear loose therefore less safe.

The last gloves i bought from Paddock - a komine full track gloves was so tight - as i have chosen it that way - and gave me little pain - as usual for me for all my new gloves - on my first ride to home and while riding to Kaeng Krachan but once i arrive Kaeng Krachan, the next day, gloves fit perfect and no pain or disturbance.

After the track day last weekend, they are great as they expanded and fits perfectly with a little bit of room for air and no disturbance.

Don't get me wrong, most of us who have been riding for years know to get a slightly tighter fit of glove for the break in process, but to a point :)

They run $250 in the States and 9K at Panda- to me, that's pricey for a pair of gloves.wink.png

thanks.

I attached another photo of knox android which shows the knob clearly on the wrist. It feels and looks dangerous if you ask me and even if it is not, i do not feel mentally comfortable wearing it.

And i remember Panda sells them around 6000 thb now.

post-184955-0-28080600-1388043765_thumb.

Don't get me wrong, most of us who have been riding for years know to get a slightly tighter fit of glove for the break in process, but to a point smile.png

garry i know you know it man!

My words are not for you but OP - Robblok as he is a new rider on big bikes and he might be mistaken.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, most of us who have been riding for years know to get a slightly tighter fit of glove for the break in process, but to a point smile.png

garry i know you know it man!

My words are not for you but OP - Robblok as he is a new rider on big bikes and he might be mistaken.

How many hours before its ridden in and yes I am a new rider so all advice is welcome and wasting money is never a good thing.

• Like 1

Got a pair of Icon Chase perforated leather gloves recently, love them. They're not up to GP levels of safety but should be good enough for low speed impact, they were cheap only 1600 baht, and most importantly for an item you wear every day and all the time, they're super comfortable.

Prevously had a pair of Revit black leather gloves (forgot the name); they never got comfortable, they were always too tight. So leather doesn't really stretch all that much. They looked cool. But they also fell apart after a year which I found pretty weak. Cost 2,000 at Panda.

As break in is concerned, IMO a glove should not be loose but it also shouldn't be uncomfortably tight, even on day 1. Needs to be comfortable from the start.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

thanks.

I attached another photo of knox android which shows the knob clearly on the wrist. It feels and looks dangerous if you ask me and even if it is not, i do not feel mentally comfortable wearing it.

OK- don't buy them, then.;)

I like stuff that's CE-rated, and not many gloves are- the Handroids make the cut.

Here's the Panda link- you might be thinking of a different model:

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Glove_Knox.htm

Edited by RubberSideDown

^

well, i did not obviously!

and possibly that gloves are at discount now or maybe i am mistaken but does not remember teh price of 8900 thb really.

I like these revit phantom gloves. They look cool and badass and they are gore tex means no or less sweat and good ventilation and waterproof in the meantime. Might get one soon for leisure riding.

If they are long for you OP, you can get shorter ones. Panda has Icon rs prints for 2200 thb and they are good value as well.

check the palm sliders on a glove. for me, it is the first thing i check on a pair full gloves as your palm is the first part of your body to touch the ground instinctively.

And for break in period of gloves, i say a two, three days of hard and long ride with sweaty hands should be enough.

Anyway, you have to choose between 'L' or 'XL' in Thailand if you dont have a kid's hand. So check, If the gloves move up and down while your hand is inside and/or if there is a space between the tips of your fingers and the tips of the glove or if your hand moves a lot inside, just dont buy. It has to be tight to be protective and they will size up.

post-184955-0-18331400-1388045529_thumb.

Edited by ll2

thanks.

Also, I don't know where your pic is from, but these are my gloves, and the adjuster is not anywhere near that position- those don't even look like the same model:

post-176811-0-79263900-1388046688_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown

thanks.

Also, I don't know where your pic is from, but these are my gloves, and the adjuster is not anywhere near that position- those don't even look like the same model:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

yep, yours look proper and also they look great really.

there are many handroid models though.