UBON - One for the computer gaming experts.

chunkymonkey

Being a total novice about computer games some advice would be much appreciated.

I'm planning a belated Xmas trip into Ubon on Saturday to buy the kids a computer console. A couple of weeks ago i asked in Big C and they were selling PS2 with 2 controls and 3 games for TB5000 or PS3 for TB12000. The guy in the shop told us it was better to buy PS2 because copy games were very cheap and easy to get ?

Any Ubon gamers have any advice or opinions or alternative outlets in Ubon ?

Many thanks in advance.

CM

As some general information:

PS4 is coming out next month, it'll apparently be available from Sony Style (Which is in BKK, but I don't know about Ubon) from the 14th of January (You can already buy it from a few shops as well I think, ones which have unofficially imported it from the USA etc). They're going to cost around 20,000 though for the console + a couple of games, and you'd need to buy it in BKK. You might need to pre-order though. PS4 games will be expensive and you'll probably only be able to buy them in BKK.

PS3 would be good if it comes with games already. As the games are reasonably expensive to buy, and I don't know if you'd find them in Ubon or not, even if they are in Ubon, they might start to phase some of them out as people buy PS4s instead.

PS2 would be cheap, and you can probably get copied games everywhere as he says. Although people might start to phase those out, as it's quite an old console now.

Which is the best option would depend a lot on how much you want to spend, how much effort you want to go to and whether the timing of the gift matters a lot or not (Since the PS4 isn't available yet), and of course how old the kids are. If they're quite young, then a cheaper console will be fine for them, but if they're a bit older they'll probably want a newer console (PS3 would be fine, although they might want to upgrade next Xmas lol).

Personally I'd say go for the PS4, you can then just buy them a game or accessory in future years, as it should remain as the "best" console for a few years (I think they've usually only rolled out new playstations roughly every 5 years or so). Also your kids would definitely be the coolest kids in Ubon with a PS4 and a couple of cool games. But then I'm someone who really wants a PS4 for myself lol, so obviously that influences my recommendation.

The computer games section of the forums has various threads regarding pre-ordering etc of PS4s in BKK. I can move this thread there if you want, although will leave it here for now, incase there's anyone with specific knowledge regarding availability in Ubon.

depends on budget and kids. most young kids nowadays wont be happy with a ps2, free games or

i am a PC gamer myself.. more expensive startup costs (start roughly 30000 for entry level gaming machines) but the savings on the long run on the price of games and other things you can do with a PC beside gaming is amazing. (not talking about facebook here)

compare my 810 or so Steam games library to what you would pay for say 30 retail games at 50$ (that is 1500$ right there) and i haven't paid close to that much for 250 of them.

note that out of the 810, i would say about 300-400 would be quality games. the rest were acquired through bundles (1-4$ for 5-10 games etc) and i actually have about 70 or so games duplicates i could be convinced of letting go for dirt cheap.

i don't recall ever paying more than 20$ on a PC game like ever..

sadly, most people are oblivious to the long term savings.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, didn't read the complete replies but how old are the kids? A Wii might be a better option if they are quite young.

I don't know PS2 prices anymore but I bought a chipped one from MBK 5 years ago for 4k baht with 2 controllers, games are 50 to 100 baht only. The PS2 does have a huge catalogue of games available but is 2 generations behind the latest tech (go and read all the other stories about Thai children not wanting a 2nd hand bike etc...). If they are teenagers then a PS3 is more appropriate, but I think you are better off going for real games over copies for it cuz of the protection and lock out.

Other considerations; a cheap android tablet, they have a lot of child orientated games and you can play YouTube and download kids movies onto them, my 2.5 year old son is kept amused with some edu games and vids all the time. Puzzingo, Tutitu, EvanTube etc. He also watches the Gruffalo and Winnie the Pooh on it and so on. I'm sure you get the idea.