Thai elections in doubt after political violence

Lite Beer

Thai elections in doubt after political violence

by Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, December 26, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's election commission urged the government Thursday to postpone February polls after a policeman was shot dead and dozens of people wounded in clashes between security forces and opposition protesters in Bangkok.

The violence deepened the crisis facing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, whose government has been shaken by weeks of mass street rallies seeking to curb her family's political dominance.

The political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and elite against rural and working-class voters loyal to Yingluck's older brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as premier in a military coup in 2006.

The protesters -- who want to overthrow Yingluck's government and install an unelected "people's council" in its place -- accuse the billionaire tycoon-turned-politician of corruption and say he controls his sister's government from his base in Dubai.

Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets Thursday after demonstrators tried to force their way into a sports stadium in the capital where representatives of about 30 political parties were gathered for the registration process for the February 2 election.

Nearly 100 people from both sides were injured, according to the emergency services.
Twenty-five police officers were hospitalised, with 10 in serious condition, according to a police spokesman. One police officer died of a gunshot wound.

"He was shot in his chest and brought to hospital by helicopter," said Jongjet Aoajenpong, director of the Police General Hospital. "A team of doctors tried to resuscitate him for more than half an hour."

As the violence escalated, the Election Commission held a news conference to recommend the February polls be delayed indefinitely.

"We cannot organise free and fair elections under the constitution in the current circumstances," said commission member Prawit Rattanapien, who along with other vote officials had to be evacuated from the stadium by helicopter.

The main opposition Democrat Party -- which has not won an elected majority in about two decades -- has vowed to boycott the February election.

There was no immediate response from the government. Under the constitution, an election should normally be held no more than 60 days after the dissolution of parliament, which happened in early December.

Thailand has seen several bouts of political turmoil since Thaksin's overthrow.

His supporters have accused the protesters of trying to incite the military to seize power again, in a country which has seen 18 successful or attempted coups since 1932.

Those wounded Thursday included one protester who was reported in serious condition with an apparent gunshot wound to his head.

Security forces denied firing live rounds, saying only rubber bullets and tear gas were used against demonstrators.

"Protesters are not peaceful and unarmed as they claimed," Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said in a televised address.

"They are intimidating officials and trespassing in government buildings."

The weeks-long unrest, which has drawn tens of thousands of protesters onto the streets, has left six people dead and nearly 400 wounded.
It is the worst civil strife since 2010, when more than 90 civilians were killed in a bloody military crackdown on opposition protests against the previous government.
The demonstrators have vowed to keep up their campaign to disrupt the polls, with protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban threatening to "shut down the country" to prevent people voting.
Pro-Thaksin parties have won every election since 2001, most recently with a landslide victory under Yingluck two years ago.
Thaksin is adored among rural communities and the working class, particularly in the north and northeast. But he is reviled by the elite, the Bangkok middle class and many southerners, who see him as corrupt and a threat to the revered monarchy.

The protesters want loosely-defined reforms -- such as an end to alleged "vote buying" -- before new elections are held in around a year to 18 months.

The rallies were triggered by a controversial amnesty bill, since abandoned by the ruling party, which Thaksin's opponents feared would have allowed his return without going to jail for a corruption conviction which he says is politically motivated.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission said Thursday that it would press abuse of power charges against the speakers of the upper and lower houses of parliament in relation to another controversial proposed law -- blocked by the Constitutional Court in November -- to amend the make-up of the Senate.

The anti-graft body said it was still considering whether to press the same charge against 381 other politicians, including Yingluck, who supported the bill.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-26

Thailand has very little to lose and a great deal to gain by NOT rushing into an election that will merely return the same faces to BOTH sides of the political divide. As it is, a February election would do absolutely nothing to heal the rifts that have arisen (including those within the PTP losing support from some of the rice farmers who feel they've been let down)..What on earth is the point when both YL and Suthep are suggesting the need for reform? A government of national unity (what am I saying...TiT facepalm.gif) would give the chance of a breathing space to try to improve the situation before an election.

Hot-heads on both sides of the divide need to step back, pause for thought and then proceed carefully.....whilst at the same time giving thanks to Buddha that the armchair warriors in TV can do no more than bump their wholly ineffectual and irrelevant gums. Knee-jerk reactions by some posters suggest a lack of in-depth understanding of the problems that beset Thailand, or at least an inability to count to ten before reaching for the keyboard.

• Like 2

Amazing Thailand... Beloved by Millions, being destroyed by a few...

And those few are the ones claiming in their ultra national fever, that they love Thailand more than anyone else!!sad.png Strange way to show it.

If the election is cancelled, the money Suthep paid his sniper was well invested!!bah.gif

• Like 1

The EC's recommendation to delay the election - which is consistent with their sentiment last week before Yingluck used her considerable reasoning skills to talk them out of it - is really the only sensible and peaceful solution. The other path - as influenced by events during the last week - will clearly lead to more violence, more fatalities, and more mayhem. The people clearly want reform, not an election. They know that Yingluck promised reform before the last election, and they know exactly what that led to. After two and a half years of aiding and abetting Thaksin's grip on this administration, PTP's amnesty bill finally exhausted whatever little credibility was left. No one expects a new Yingluck administration to institute reform that displaces Thaksin's influence. By holding her administration's feet to the fire, Yingluck has now an opportunity - rare in political life - to prove her new-found commitment to reform, and to include everyone in the process. Will she take advantage of that ? It's up to her.

• Like 2

So Thaksin gets blood on the streets again.

He knew just what would happen when he sent out a challenge by putting his family at the top of the party list.

And Yingluck cries, but she cries for herself when she be crying for the Thai people.

All she has to do to stop the violence is to resign.

But no, big brother wont let her.

He must know by now he can never come back to this country so the only reason he is doing this to the country must be revenge.

And some on here still defend him.

• Like 1

Suthep got the violence he was waiting for, just like in 2010, maybe now the police and the courts have to do what is their duty and that is to throw this man where he belongs, but i doubt they have the guts to do it. Dear friends sadly this is only the beginning, there is no respect for the law anymore, the country is slowly turning to anarchy and i am so glad that my small son have dual citizenship. This is not anymore the LOS i chose to spend my retirement in, this is now turning in to a dangerous place to be.

• Like 2

He knew just what would happen when he sent out a challenge by putting his family at the top of the party list.

And Yingluck cries, but she cries for herself when she be crying for the Thai people.

He must know by now he can never come back to this country so the only reason he is doing this to the country must be revenge.

If you really believe this, you should seek professional help!

This chess- match is not about Thaksin or Yinluck and it never was.

I fear, there will be much more blood, even if she would pack her bags in moves to Outer Mongolia within the next 3 hours!

• Like 1

Just wonder if Thais would have an outsider enemy, they still continue this hunger games between each other???

Not supporting any side but i guess the looser going to be the Country itself and hard to say will have any winners as this situation seems going on for ages...

• Like 1

Where in hell do you get all this from, do you have some special info other people do not know. You seem to know what Thaksin is thinking and you know what his sister really cry for when she cries, you must be able to make a lot of money since you can see into the head of people with your god given gift, amazing. Thaksin shot people today, Thaksin put people in hospital to day, are u aware how stupid this sounds, my guess is that you dont. And some people still defend him, yes to your surprise it seems there are a quite few millions that support him.

The EC's recommendation to delay the election - which is consistent with their sentiment last week before Yingluck used her considerable reasoning skills to talk them out of it - is really the only sensible and peaceful solution. The other path - as influenced by events during the last week - will clearly lead to more violence, more fatalities, and more mayhem. The people clearly want reform, not an election. They know that Yingluck promised reform before the last election, and they know exactly what that led to. After two and a half years of aiding and abetting Thaksin's grip on this administration, PTP's amnesty bill finally exhausted whatever little credibility was left. No one expects a new Yingluck administration to institute reform that displaces Thaksin's influence. By holding her administration's feet to the fire, Yingluck has now an opportunity - rare in political life - to prove her new-found commitment to reform, and to include everyone in the process. Will she take advantage of that ? It's up to her.

"The people clearly want reform, not an election" Really? Who, exactly are the people? By any objective measure, they are a minority of the voting age population. If the seat of national government were located, say, in Chiangmai, would their disruptions even amount to anything much?

• Like 1

Suthep got the violence he was waiting for, just like in 2010, maybe now the police and the courts have to do what is their duty and that is to throw this man where he belongs, but i doubt they have the guts to do it. Dear friends sadly this is only the beginning, there is no respect for the law anymore, the country is slowly turning to anarchy and i am so glad that my small son have dual citizenship. This is not anymore the LOS i chose to spend my retirement in, this is now turning in to a dangerous place to be.

Not quite. The death should have been on the innocent peaceful protesters side. But it turn out to be from the police aggressor side.

Back fire?

• Like 1

If you really believe this, you should seek professional help!

This chess- match is not about Thaksin or Yinluck and it never was.

I fear, there will be much more blood, even if she would pack her bags in moves to Outer Mongolia within the next 3 hours!

+1

The problem is not Thaksin, Suthep or Yingluck. They are merely the tops of a very sore and inflamed boil. The infection goes far deeper into the body politic and must be excised as soon and as thoroughly as possible. Lancing boils can work, but it's messy and does not get to the root of the problem: sometimes strong medicine is needed to work deep inside.

Thailand is badly in need of medicine to help it cure itself of the poison that is steadily draining it of life. A shot of reform before the election should do some good... not a cure, I'd agree, but every journey begins with a single step.

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand... Beloved by Millions, being destroyed by a few...

And those few are the ones claiming in their ultra national fever, that they love Thailand more than anyone else!!sad.png Strange way to show it.

If the election is cancelled, the money Suthep paid his sniper was well invested!!bah.gif

You got any proof to this allegation?

Not quite. The death should have been on the innocent peaceful protesters side. But it turn out to be from the police aggressor side.

Back fire?

actually there are 2 gunshot victims one from each side, make of that what you will.

please continue:

Thai govt rejects election delay despite deadly violence
by Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, December 26, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's government Thursday rejected calls to postpone February elections after clashes between police and opposition protesters in the capital left one policeman dead and dozens wounded on both sides.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692069-thai-govt-rejects-election-delay-despite-deadly-violence/

//CLOSED//

/Admin