Journalists flee Bangkok Youth Centre protest site as police crack down

webfact

STADIUM CRASH
Journalists flee protest site as police crack down

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dozens of journalists yesterday afternoon fled for their lives as police heavily cracked down on protesters.

They did so through many gates of the Bangkok Youth Centre (Thai-Japan) aka the Thai-Japanese Stadium.

Awareness and observation are life-saving instincts for journalists covering a riot.

For at least five years Thailand has hosted anti-government rallies and several of them had escalated into bloody battles between protesters and police.

Members of the media have a duty to report the news, so many times they are in danger. They get injured during clashes, such as the latest exchange of fire at the Thai-Japan Stadium yesterday when three people were shot by rubber bullets and several were hurt by tear gas.

Komlai Mompanow, an ASTV reporter, said that every time she is assigned to report news in a riot situation, she prepared safety attire.

"We don't know what will happen, so we should be alert and observant all the time. And every time at a protest site I look for emergency exits," she said.

"Field journalists should walk in an open area, because you never know when police or protesters will throw something or shoot at someone."

Jackaphong Kongkarn-chanapas, a Daily News photographer, said "safety first" was his motto.

"Even if you want to get the best picture but you aren't safe, then it's not the best picture for you," he said.

Jackaphong bought a tear-gas mask at the Klong Tom market out of his own pocket for his own safety.

Every time he is on the ground he looks for escape routes and assesses the situation between police and protesters.

"For safety I always stand with the side with the advantage," he said.

Jeera Klinhom, a Naew Na lensman, also said he had to estimate minute by minute which side he should stand with. But if the situation gets too out of hand he will remove himself from that spot.

Nuttaton Panpionchuen, a cameraman for TV Channel 3, said that whenever he worked at a protest site he prepared safeguards such as a tear-gas mask to protect himself.

His job is to shoot video, so he can zoom when he records something.

"Technology can help us to be safe so I don't have to walk near the fighting," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-27

Frontline journalism and journalists at their best. I can see why they want to avoid conflict areas in the current situation, but this whole article screams out "no we're not scared, just very cautious".

Seems like they are worried about their image of themselves as fearless warriors of truth and the almighty press being tarnished by the fact they have the common sense to get out of the danger zone when things get too hot.

Edited by Bluespunk

Frontline journalism and journalists at their best. I can see why they want to avoid conflict areas in the current situation, but this whole article screams out "no we're not scared, just very cautious".

Seems like they are worried about their image of themselves as fearless warriors of truth and the almighty press being tarnished by the fact they have the common sense to get out of the danger zone when things get too hot.

Yes being on the frontline and at the same time be 100 % safe won't work.

"Even if you want to get the best picture but you aren't safe, then it's not the best picture for you,"

"For safety I always stand with the side with the advantage,"

His job is to shoot video, so he can zoom when he records something.

"Technology can help us to be safe so I don't have to walk near the fighting,"

"I have decided to become a librarian...but I am afraid of the paper cuts"

Edited by klauskunkel

I think they would be more willing to cover a dangerous situation if it was news-worthy. This 'revolution' is just more of the same brainless dog-chasing-its-own-tail nonsense we've seen here for ever, with the same rancid snouts quivering in anticipation as they can see the trough approaching.

Health and safety gone mad!

about dam time! the police should have been taking down the demonstrators sooner! by not doing so the protesters became emboldened!

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is about journalists, there are loads of others about the protesters v the police.

But as you have posted, i will reply that the police have now changed the stakes. From here on in, they will have to attack all protesters in all the separate gatherings, because the protesters will be much more prepared for an attack and I would assume in some cases heavily armed for a counter attack. Expect to see a lot more casualties. Unless of course you are celebrating seeing the blood and injuries and death.

......Members of the media have a duty to report the news, so many times they are in danger. .....

I doubt sincerely if they have a duty to do this. I believe bad news are selling better (than good news) - an old wisdom of journalism.

The journalism isn't only for the benefit of the people. Like a 24 hours day, journalism has brightness and darkness. And it's a business. Sometimes it is the forth power in a state, sometimes it is abusing this power. The dark side of the journalism means selling sensational news. Must repeat it, they are selling best.

Maybe this report is just between daylight and darkness. Sometimes the journalists "are in danger" because their news or photos are selling better than those of a more remote one.

For reporting about the fight in the stadium the journalists don't have to be in a danger. It's the money ....

about dam time! the police should have been taking down the demonstrators sooner! by not doing so the protesters became emboldened!

perhaps you should take a look at this video clip on Police Brutality : http://www.youtube.com/embed/bQR640FSXvk

They were simply protecting themsleves - the female occupants of the vehicle were clearly a major security threat - transporting medical supplies and allblink.png

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is about journalists, there are loads of others about the protesters v the police.

But as you have posted, i will reply that the police have now changed the stakes. From here on in, they will have to attack all protesters in all the separate gatherings, because the protesters will be much more prepared for an attack and I would assume in some cases heavily armed for a counter attack. Expect to see a lot more casualties. Unless of course you are celebrating seeing the blood and injuries and death.

So it's the fault of the police?

yes now I get it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Grow a pair, you chose that profession.

What a totally retarded comment. One of the usual TV arm chair experts. You think being targeted by whichever side doesn't want them recording an incident, being slapped and beaten and having their equipment destroyed is part of their job description?

You have absolutely no idea and come across as a particularly grubby arm chair expert with a big mouth and nothing to back it up.

So if a customer doesn't like the work you are doing for them they are at liberty to bring their friends to smack you around, intimidate you and destroy your tools of trade?

Awesome. Another discussion on TV that fails to exceed the country's national IQ average.

Grow a pair, you chose that profession.

What a totally retarded comment. One of the usual TV arm chair experts. You think being targeted by whichever side doesn't want them recording an incident, being slapped and beaten and having their equipment destroyed is part of their job description?

You have absolutely no idea and come across as a particularly grubby arm chair expert with a big mouth and nothing to back it up.

So if a customer doesn't like the work you are doing for them they are at liberty to bring their friends to smack you around, intimidate you and destroy your tools of trade?

Awesome. Another discussion on TV that fails to exceed the country's national IQ average.

Thanks for the insults, but you're comparing apples and oranges. These people are not "reporters" or "journalists", they are merely "observers" and even at that they don't do very well.

To my way of thinking, a proper "reporter" is actively seeking to find and report "the truth", and oftentimes put themselves into harms way to achieve that goal. I think back to those great reporters who put their lives on the line to report what is happening at various conflicts around the world, Joe Rosenthal, Mike Yamamoto, Tim Hetherington, Gloria Emerson, etc.

Don't remember any of them complaining how dangerous it was, they just got on and did their job.