Physiotherapy needed

mizztraveller

I need to see a physiotherapist. The one recommended here is Khun Took at Rajavej Hospital. When I call the number it rings out for ages then goes to fax.

Can I just go to the hospital and wait to be seen or must I make an appointment?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a different physio?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Costas - if you're going to respond can you please be more positive? If I knew the answer to the questions I wouldn't waste my time posting on this forum.

I don't feel well and I don't want to get a songtaew to the hospital only to be told to return another day and I'd be very appreciative if someone knew an alternative choice.

• Like 2

I was never able to get an answer on the telephone there. Just go down there either in the mornings or early afternoon. Khun Took will probably be busy or not there but the most you will have to wait is about an hour to see one of the other excellent therapists. After your first session, one of the therapists will give you their mobile telephone number and from that point on you can schedule direct with them. Sometimes if there are many inpatients there that day from Orthopedics, you may have to wait even if you have an appointment.

Note that they close around 16:30-17:00 as I recall. When I was having physical therapy for about 5 months I often couldn't get to Rajavej during their hours. So in the evenings I went to one of the physical therapy places on the utility road running along Super Highway, across from Lanna Hospital (not directly across - more in the direction of Tesco Kamthieng). They were open from 17:30-20:30 but were not nearly as good as Rajavej.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Harrry - where is McKain? Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhuvZA3LVV0

I cannot quickly find it on the map. It is the old leper colony and now also has physiotherapyl I think it is more reasonably priced than the other places and is located south of the town round the ring road area.

If you do want more info PM me and I will try to find a map for you.

Can't really help much here but

Dr Sudhee Sudasna

Part time at RAM (two days/week)

053 920300

had recommended a Physiotherapist to me. I had been to Rajavej and they gave me an exercise that was just to painful to do. the one Dr Sudhee had recommended gave me basically the same exercise but in a way that I was able to accomplish still painful but doable. Also some other exercises.

I already know the exercises I need to do (and am doing them) but I really need manipulation too. It's a reoccurence of a problem I had 2 years ago so I know what needs to be done to fix it again.

Thanks. I'll go to Rajavej tomorrow morning. Can anyone give me a clue how much a physio session is likely to be? Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Khun Took 200 Baht a session.

Khun Took not around today so I saw Khun Gai. Not the best physio experience I've had to be honest - she wanted to do traction on a machine rather than manually which was a waste of time. She then passed me to another (male) physiotherapist who performed manual traction and massage which was better, but still not a patch on UK NHS physio.

By Thai standards, expensive too. 250 baht for a 3 minute chat with an ER doctor and 350 baht for the physio session.

Thanks. I'll go to Rajavej tomorrow morning. Can anyone give me a clue how much a physio session is likely to be? Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Khun Took not around today so I saw Khun Gai. Not the best physio experience I've had to be honest - she wanted to do traction on a machine rather than manually which was a waste of time. She then passed me to another (male) physiotherapist who performed manual traction and massage which was better, but still not a patch on UK NHS physio.

By Thai standards, expensive too. 250 baht for a 3 minute chat with an ER doctor and 350 baht for the physio session.

Poor you-and the prices seem also extortionate for Rajavej based on my experience there. They are a TV sponsor so someone may respond??

I hope you get sorted soon

• Like 1

Not trying to be a smart arse but if you know what needs doing could you not find a Massage person to assist you. The ones who have been trained and licensed have more knowledge than just the basics and with your direction would be able to assist you. Bonus being you get a massage and the big thing any time you need it you know exactly where to go.

Just an idea. Might be worth your while to look into for future reference.

• Like 1

Finding a masseuse who's really qualified worries me. We all know how easy it is to 'buy' the qualification! However, as my problem is the reoccurence if two prolapsed discs in my neck, I need traction and manipulation rather than massage. As I've had this before and had various therapies (osteopathy, chiropractor, acupuncture) I know what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion though, for some people this would be a good idea.

I don't recall Khun Gai. I thought Khun Diow was the best there - by far.

When I first went there it was 170 Baht for about 90 minutes. I remember when the price went to 200. Sounds like it has doubled since then.

Finding a masseuse who's really qualified worries me. We all know how easy it is to 'buy' the qualification! However, as my problem is the reoccurence if two prolapsed discs in my neck, I need traction and manipulation rather than massage. As I've had this before and had various therapies (osteopathy, chiropractor, acupuncture) I know what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion though, for some people this would be a good idea. Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A friend of mine needed traction and being on the handy side managed to build himself a contraption to do it. Of course you would still be left needing the manipulation. biggrin.png Maybe get them to try it on your wife or GF to see if they can do it rite.

I would imagine if it is not that often an acurring problem you are best to go to a clinic with the right equipment. Like with my lower back I do exercises specifically for ut so I don't have to go to a Chiropracter often twice in the last year and a half. the second visit he told me to go to Physio. so I just jkeep up with the exercises. Besides these are good for the Abs.

Finding a masseuse who's really qualified worries me. We all know how easy it is to 'buy' the qualification! However, as my problem is the reoccurence if two prolapsed discs in my neck, I need traction and manipulation rather than massage. As I've had this before and had various therapies (osteopathy, chiropractor, acupuncture) I know what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion though, for some people this would be a good idea. Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A friend of mine needed traction and being on the handy side managed to build himself a contraption to do it. Of course you would still be left needing the manipulation. biggrin.png Maybe get them to try it on your wife or GF to see if they can do it rite.

I would imagine if it is not that often an acurring problem you are best to go to a clinic with the right equipment. Like with my lower back I do exercises specifically for ut so I don't have to go to a Chiropracter often twice in the last year and a half. the second visit he told me to go to Physio. so I just jkeep up with the exercises. Besides these are good for the Abs.

With the name "mizz" I doubt she has a wife or girlfriend hellodolly.

• Like 1

I don't recall Khun Gai. I thought Khun Diow was the best there - by far.

When I first went there it was 170 Baht for about 90 minutes. I remember when the price went to 200. Sounds like it has doubled since then.

I'm paying 350 baht for a 30 minute session. I thought perhaps the first session was more expensive but I've just paid the same for the second session. I think I'm going to try elsewhere as she really doesn't fill me with confidence.

Any further suggestions? Are there physiotherapists in Chiang Mai RAM?