How To Pick A Wife

Lucifer

A young, naïve 19-year-old man went to a monk to ask some questions, soon after

watching his favourite actress on TV

He said,” sir, what is it like to fall in love with someone?”

The monk, thought for a moment and said “come with me and I’ll demonstrate

it to you.”

He took him to a Corn field and said,” go through the field and, pick the best corn

cob you can, and I’ll see you at the other end. The only rule is, you can’t turn back.”

The young man walks off, thinking this is easy.

The beginning of the field, the corn is small and of poor quality, so he continues to walk on. Later he sees better corn, but continues to walk, thinking these are getting bigger and better. As he walks on, the corn start to get smaller and not-so-good. He

realises he should have picked up some corn earlier, as he gets to the end of the field.

He meets the monk, who says, “Love is like that. If you’re greedy you might miss out altogether.”

“So,” the young man says. “in that case, how do I pick a wife?.” “Ah, a wife” says the monk. “That’s different”, let me demonstrate.

The monk takes the young man to an apple orchard and says, “go through the orchard

and pick an apple. Once you’ve picked an apple, you must come straight back.”

The young man walks past a few apples and picks one, not too big, not too small,

and comes straight back.

“See” says the monk. “That’s what it is like to pick a wife. Love has shown you that you can’t be too picky when it comes to choosing a wife”

So, let's see if I get this right. When I walk into the go-go bar, I should pick which ever peach happens to be right in front, instead of wandering through the orchard checking out all the sweet, ripe fruit ? :D

(Wouldn't work in the place I normally go to, as the best looking peaches are usually at the back of the orchard) :o

Not to mention that a certain someone would be a little upset if I ignored her in favour of a "riper" peach :D

While the 'moderate' not too little, not too much mesage is clear and conclusive in this story, I wish to offer some minor feedback...

This story, while almost innocent and objective, commits the patriarch's falacy (I love using combined words that I never actually remember reading before)

Love is not something that is initiated by one individual (in this story by the vegetable-fruit picker)

but is a mutual communion between two souls that is unplannable by most human's abilities...

One can argue that it was the intention of the corn to be the most desirable (biggest) piece as to appeal to the hungry picker...but with such premices, one can not conclude the product as love...but more of a result of sexual selection, dominated and initiated by the XY chromosone, the XX being passive...

Otherwise, it is completely valid story of how not to let our desires / greed dictate our actions too much..

And it's also relevant...Not everyone wants the biggest cob of corn . I for one am happy to let all the pour souls in American and British pubs and clubs have those peices. :o

....And it's also relevant...Not everyone wants the biggest cob of corn . I for one am happy to let all the pour souls in American and British pubs and clubs have those peices. :D

Quite so :o

Love is a verb......

It is a choosing word.

IMHO

Tuky, not. A verb is a 'doing' word! Let's DO love just doesn't seem to fit....... :o

That would work for Prince. :D

Maybe the real lesson is not to ask a monk questions about women......

:D Good point, but who should be asked?

Any 60+ year old farang with a 20+ year old wife without any tattoos.

That's economics, different topic.

BTW, what do the tattoos have anything to do with the relationship? :o

Tuky, not. A verb is a 'doing' word! Let's DO love just doesn't seem to fit....... :o

So then, what do you say to "Let's MAKE love" or "I want to MAKE love with you" ?

Or, "I'd LOVE to Love you" ?

I'll stop there before my imagination gets the better of me. :D

QUOTE(thaibebop @ 2006-05-16 01:45:36)

QUOTE(OldAsiaHand @ 2006-05-16 01:40:07)

Good point, but who should be asked?

:o

I've yet to meet one.

It's was thinking that "sans tattoo" could mean a less "economics related" arrangement (as you yourself so rightly pointed out), and so any information gleaned from such a couple may be of use.

Or maybe not. :D

This is a silly topic. And I haven't a clue.

It's was thinking that "sans tattoo" could mean a less "economics related" arrangement (as you yourself so rightly pointed out), and so any information gleaned from such a couple may be of use.

Or maybe not. :D

This is a silly topic. And I haven't a clue.

Neither do I. :D Oh well.