4G LTE has arrived in Chiang Mai

infernalman7

we don't have it showing on our samsung note3... and true does not show support on their site for the note3 and 4G... so will have to see how it plays out.

speaking of large screens and 4G... a buddy of mine works for Uverse (ATT) in California and they are actually having discussions about doing away with

Uverse and going to 4G for their television services... makes him a bit nervous, as he thought he had job security with Uverse.

we don't have it showing on our samsung note3... and true does not show support on their site for the note3 and 4G... so will have to see how it plays out.

speaking of large screens and 4G... a buddy of mine works for Uverse (ATT) in California and they are actually having discussions about doing away with

Uverse and going to 4G for their television services... makes him a bit nervous, as he thought he had job security with Uverse.

You have to ask True to switch your SIM card to 4G SIM card first. (You must activate a plan. Which is free this year but 99 baht extra a month later).

Here's the speed just now. Not that great but it's quite consistent throughout the day unlike 3G.

post-56999-13881967755961_thumb.jpg

You have to ask True to switch your SIM card to 4G SIM card first. (You must activate a plan. Which is free this year but 99 baht extra a month later).

Here's the speed just now. Not that great but it's quite consistent throughout the day unlike 3G.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388196776.027864.jpg

I think that's very good. I just bought 2 Google Nexus 5 smartphones; one for home and one for Thailand. They will do 4G LTE along with a lot of other systems, and they are internationally unlocked. I have 4G LTE in the US and it's about the same speed as yours. It's plenty fast.

Just to BKK. When you're testing the mobile broadband speeds, there is very little point in testing the international bandwidth as it is still suffering from the bottlenecks at the International Exchange.

Putting that aside, most mobile operators put data passing through mobile as "priority" compared to home broadband internet. Many times we see mobile connection to international locations much faster than home cable/DSL internet.

went to several different true counters today in the city - but NOT main offices like at airport central.

was told consistently that there is NO 4G here yet! 555555

and so it goes.. i am sure wife will be down to airport central shortly and get it sorted out.

Does anyone Know if a 4G USB Dongle is available at True in Chiang Mai, as I would like to use a USB Dongle with my Laptop when I go away during coming Bad Air Season.

john

I will have to confess I am mixed up here. Most of the posts talk about telephones.

I was under the impression tha true did Television , internet and telephones.

can some one point me to the right direction with my assumptions. Seems like they just do telephones here on this thread.

Does anyone Know if a 4G USB Dongle is available at True in Chiang Mai, as I would like to use a USB Dongle with my Laptop when I go away during coming Bad Air Season.

john

I will have to confess I am mixed up here. Most of the posts talk about telephones.

can some one point me to the right direction with my assumptions. Seems like they just do telephones here on this thread.

Haha. I was like .

True does:

- Internet

- Telephone

- Cable Television

- Mobile phones

- Coffee Shops (True Coffee)

- Tesco Lotus

- 7-Elevens

john

Haha. I was like .

True does:

- Internet

- Telephone

- Cable Television

- Mobile phones

- Tesco Lotus

- 7-Elevens

Well it is quite simple. I was in the true at Siam the other day and asked about a dongle or air card and they said they did not have them. Only a land line. I read here where some one has been to all most all their outlets here in Chiang Mai and had no luck getting a dongle. One poster said he had one. I am on a Chiang Mai forum and you are talking about some thing only in Bangkok.

As you say <deleted>.

All I want to know is if they have the means to upgrade my internet here in Chiang Mai to 4G apparently not. Very confusing to some one who is not familiar with technical terms. Just results.

john

Where you plan to move at haze season? Still in CM area with LTE signal but not so much haze?

The True shop on Suthep Rd knew nothing about 4G or if a Dongle is available. The two ladies said try next year, with a polite smile.

I looked up True 4G on Google and they have a map which 'suggests' complete coverage of Thailand for 4 G.

So like all I do not know, maybe end of January will be more enlightening.

john

john

Haha. I was like .

True does:

- Internet

- Telephone

- Cable Television

- Mobile phones

- Tesco Lotus

- 7-Elevens

Chicken, pork, salabpao, rice and a few other countrys agribusiness is what they take care of.

Infernalman7, when you said "couldn't be happier now" in reference to internet service in Thailand you got my attention!

I don't think I've ever heard anyone form that sentence while talking about Thai internet service.

I'm very curious!

Like zippydedodah said in his post, i went to several True "booths" and was told there is no 4G service available in Chiang Mai.

Infernalman7, where did you sign up for your service at?

well, wife has had 4G for about a week now... went to truemove in Central Festival and they signed her up, told her

about an additional 99 baht/month charge (above and beyond her current plan) and punched it into the computer.

Said it would be about an hour before the change took place... no new sim card required for her Samsung

Galaxy Note3.

An hour later, 4G was there.. it is spotty around town and is not available in our home (pimuk 2), but 4G shows just

down the street at Rimping Ruam Chok.... and in moat area and at CMIS area also.

Only done a few speed checks.. not seen anything over 30mb speeds, but still that is more than double the speed of our home internet.

not bad at all!

• Like 1

OK, for clarification.

- 4G LTE is a free upgrade for this year. If you subscribe, on the bill it charges you 99 Baht a month and then there's another entry that is -99 Baht a month say "LTE in 2013/14"

- If you are on prepaid, you must get the "Manchester United SIM Card" to get 4G LTE

- Head to Central Festival and Airport Plaza for the LTE upgrade.

Infernalman7, when you said "couldn't be happier now" in reference to internet service in Thailand you got my attention!

I don't think I've ever heard anyone form that sentence while talking about Thai internet service.

I'm very curious!

Like zippydedodah said in his post, i went to several True "booths" and was told there is no 4G service available in Chiang Mai.

Infernalman7, where did you sign up for your service at?

Well good or bad internet it depends entirely on where do you mostly download your content from.

A Thai in the UK may complain why the UK internet is so crappy. That is because everything he/she consumes has to travel all the way from Thailand to reach the end user in the UK.

For me as a Swede I find Thai internet to be slow downloading European content but quite fast when downloading contents from Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. The internet in Thailand is EXTREMELY FAST for contents hosted locally in Thailand.

I wouldn't compare my 50/5 Mbps True internet service to my connection in London or Stockholm. But there is definitely nothing wrong with my connection as far as I'm concerned. Netflix/BBC iPlayer/SVT stream are streaming HD no problem although initiating the first 5 seconds takes a while.

If I were to say where in the world the internet is exceptionally crappy, I would say Australia, New Zealand and Italy.

Edited by infernalman7
  • Like 1