Emergencies ?

There was a small fire just beside "Sky Fitness" (I think that's the name), that muay thai gym on top of the hill near Elephant Rock between Chaweng and Lamai.

The fire seems to be in the grove to the right of the gym. But the building seems to be unharmed.

A few Crazy drivers and very busy roads ... I had a Fortuner overtake me just before the crest of the hill nr Nathon , Laem Yai , with his foot to the floor ...Thai I think , he had no sight & I was holding my breath praying that no poor motorbike was coming the other way , He then ended up behind a line of slow moving traffic and overtook the whole lot again on a blind corner at the bottom of the hill...

I have seen a few bike accidents today , just minor cuts , but I think the emergency services are going to be busy over the next few days ..sad.png

I saw a minibus with a concave front and a concertinaed red motorbike outside Supot electrics this afternoon. A second bike was in the middle of the road but appeared undamaged.

i had earlier had some clown in an orange cement mixer tailgating / trying to overtake me between Bophut lights & Big C.

I've heard more sirens of late than Ronnie Biggs!

Edited by evadgib

Maybe that is because Ronnie Biggs is dead? whistling.gif

Seriously - there are a lot of dumb people out there riding bikes for the first time on Samui's roads. The hospitals and repair shops are doing a roaring trade.

With the amount of traffic now - locals are joining in on the carnage. A line of slow moving vehicles - some hoon will go steaming along on the other lane and pull in at the last minute. The list is endless.

• Like 1

I am compelled to reply that after what feels like a lifetime here, I have never ever seen it go so crazy after the high season weekend.

The road is filled with hazards on scooters.

At least the Thai kids zap past with confidence - they've done this all their lives.

But right now I'm staying at home. Far too lulu outside.

R

Couldn't agree more. I've never seen these roads so lethal as the past week. One big free for all, tourists trying out scooters for the first time totally unpredictable and a dangerous to others swell as themselves, people so drunk they struggle to keep the bike upright, drivers who seemingly don't care either way if the hit you! Kind of makes you wonder just how bad it needs to get before somethings done about it...

Hospitals must be doing a roaring trade.

The Wat Plai Laem Rescue team was fairly busy today, I saw them at least twice in action within a two hour stretch.

Sad to see the Rescue vehicle leave the accident scene and other vulture ambulances are just arriving.

Edited by limbos
  • Like 1

I normally encounter around 1 accident per week during daylight hours. This afternoon I came across 3 in the 15 kms of ring road between Bophut & Lamai, inc a Thai female with head trauma outside Macro who didn't look at all well.

This place is crying out for licenced & regulated public transport....or a bigger morgue!

Edited by evadgib

Usually times to try to avoid driving the ring road, is in morning "rush hour" 7 to 9 am and afternoon between 4 and 6 pm...w00t.gif

Having said that, yesterday about 1.30 pm the ring road between, Maenam and Bophut lights was one long traffic jam, although saw no accidents. .... but sure saw a few nutters trying to jump the line up... and they were not all Thai's~ blink.png

Wear helmets on bikes... lots of road blocks around...

Here is a big hazard.... so confusing the lights at Maenam Soi 4, arrows pointing in every direction ... but on coming traffic still on green... this is beyond belief... be very cautious there....it's the same from the other direction....w00t.gifblink.png

IMG_8841.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Today seemed particularly bad on the roads. Bangrak to Tong Krut - usually 40 minutes each way - one hour there and nearly an hour and a half back. Streams of traffic in both directions, stop start and motor bikes weaving in and out, young Thai boys proving their virility and lack of imagination speeding past it all, visitors not knowing where they are going, a family, dad and mum each on a bike with a child on each, race past me at the T Junction at Hua Thanon, one each side of my car , and pull out across the traffic towards Lamai. I cannot believe I did not see an accident today but this was daylight before the serious drinking starts. Plans to drive down to Chaweng Beach tonight cancelled and will be staying much nearer to home.

Today seemed particularly bad on the roads. Bangrak to Tong Krut - usually 40 minutes each way - one hour there and nearly an hour and a half back. Streams of traffic in both directions, stop start and motor bikes weaving in and out, young Thai boys proving their virility and lack of imagination speeding past it all, visitors not knowing where they are going, a family, dad and mum each on a bike with a child on each, race past me at the T Junction at Hua Thanon, one each side of my car , and pull out across the traffic towards Lamai. I cannot believe I did not see an accident today but this was daylight before the serious drinking starts. Plans to drive down to Chaweng Beach tonight cancelled and will be staying much nearer to home.

agree about irresponsible Parents carrying children on bikes ... Yesterday at the meanam junction even though the light was red the Parent could not wait and crossed .... just crazy , no excuse .. luckily no accident .

20 min ago a tourist fronted his rented Ducati in front of First residence on the wrong side of the road.

Driver of car took away with the car.

The tourist managed to flip over the car into a Burmese man on an old scooter behind.

Only one that BKK hospital could pick up was the old Burmese man.

That Ducati looked really run over.

Someone has to pay alot of money.