Creating a fashion brand in Thailand

I am foreigner, European, so I wonder, how hard is it to open a company and create a fashion brand??

I would create predominately jackets, shirts......

It would be kind of Samurai, swords, japanese brand,

I am not a fashion designer, I have just few ideas so I wonder how much would I need to invest to open a company here?

Did somebody try something similar?

It can be done. Near any project that will enhance life and life quality for others. You will be surprised how everything moves into place. Do you want to do this in BKK? Are you interested in Ubon Ratchathani? I've lifetime of experience in the west and family also in Thailand with experience and ability in this field. Best of luck.

»…how hard is it to open a company…«

If you ask about opening a company in Thailand, you will need some Thai partners/shareholders, as a foreigner can only hold 49%. There are lots of good information about this on the Internet and presumably other treads in TVForum.

If you yourself wish to be active in the company, including active director rather than just sleeping partner, you will need a work permit. For that the company needs a minimum shareholder capital of 2 million bath and four Thai employees. Both numbers goes up, if you need more foreigners working. The company may need to show annual statements (accounts) before a work permit can be granted.

A lawyer can do all the paperwork for you; normally you shall count something like 35 to 60,000 baht in costs for straight paperwork and registration, however depending of advice and complications.

»…and create a fashion brand??«

No idea, but presumably like everywhere else in the World, you will need design, advertising, promotion and lots of hard legwork. However, several have told me, that it’s fairly possible to make a business success in Thailand (and/or Southeast Asia) if you have the right idea in the right niche.

I wish you good luck.smile.png

There are many young designers around so thats not the problem. There are many small Thai designers with their own brands but they arent well known outside Thailand. The marketing will be your make or break. If you want to start big you either must go in with a well known designer or you must have a Thai star doing your advertising. Both options can be costly. If you are prepared to slog it out and do it the organic growth way, you must have enough capital to go for at least 2 years. If you follow this route you can use social media for advertising (everything in Thai and English). A good position in the centre of BKK will also help but will cost plenty. The last option would be to run a internet store. For a start you can run a make on order system, backed with a good designer with production capacity. This would be the cheapest option and as you build a customer base you can open a physical store(s). You can also combine this option with selling the range at some of the big markets (hire people to sell as you might find it difficult to get a WP to do that).

If the style of graphic becomes popular you must be able to flood the market place quickly to supply the demand and cash in on the moment.

Fashion is a fleeting thing and only the large companies can respond quickly to cash in on demand.

To quote "Mr Wonderful": "The big boys will crush you like the bug you are."

2nd Himalayan Expedition
Until one is committed there is hesitancy. The chance to draw back ,
always ineffectiveness, concerning all acts, of initiative [and Creation] .
There is one elementary truth. The ignorance of which kills countless
ideas and splendid plans : That the moment one definitely commits oneself .
Then Providence moves, too.
All sorts of things occur to help one that would never have otherwise occurred .
A whole stream of events issues from the decision.
Raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material .
Assistance, which no man could have dreamed would come his way .
Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it .
"Boldness has Genius, Power and Magic in it ."
-gp
Carpe Diem
Hire an Attorney. I got flagged for referral so all I can say is, UK not USA, in BKK. There will be partners or associates that are Thai.

Give it a try,, but remember the Thais are far ahead of you and also they get a better price ( per unit) than you will ever can,, make a sample of what you want then negotiate to do a run with various people,, also consider Cambodia or China for manufacture then open a shop in Bangkok or try to wholesale your product, either do it big time (need lots of cash) or small time like Chatachuk Market as an example, either way do a cost study first before you venture into anything especially in Thailand. Good luck.

I am a fashiondesigner.I was also thinking of starting a fashionbrand in Thailand but for more exlusif designs.Unique pieces.Not exactly easy i guess.We (my boyfriend and i) wanna spend time in thailand and a few months a year in our homecountry(for family & friends to not loose contact)I just don't know if i would set up the company in my homeland or in Thailand.Regarding the time i still wanna spend in my homeland.

I think selling over internet at first is a good idea.Then opening a pilotshop.Depents on what you wanna sell.For my creations a market kinda sellpoint would not be an option.Cause i wanna go on the "exlusif" kinda fashion "road" :) I want to put my house on rent for 1 year and just look around and see ...without burning any bridges behind me .Still .i have the question i keep asking myself/A label start up in Thailand or at home ...not easy to decide.I allready contacted a lawyer for more info.Then also..where in Thailand you best open a shop if it comes to that ?Bangkok ?Where are good locations more to the south ?To sell exlusif designs.

For the person that started the topic.Good luck ! 402.gif

do it in india or bangladesh , thailand will make you jump thru hoops and still take half your company , IMO anyone wishing to do business in LOS should be shot just for that very wish ! . they dont need the jobs and dont give a rats about fashion .

My idea is to sell exclusevly online, through website, so no need for shop, I just need somebody who will make this stuff, I bought shirts in the past in MBK and they are not bad quality, the color remains intact after few years also the art on the shirt (plaster) so I need this kind of quality.

Mabye really is better to go to China, but I have no experience going there and where to find these people.

I would sell to USA and Europe possibly rather than Thailand

I saw one ripoff or Aflfliction in THailand, I bought few shirts from them, these people dont even have a working website, so you cant buy it, so individuals sell the shirts through ebay to USA market

the shirts are of good quality, after 3 years now they still look good.

If you google for them you only see the phone number in an office near Thanon pretchaburi

Also I was thinking of buying a container of Thai stuff and sell it in USA through craiglist :)

• Like 1

My idea is to sell exclusevly online, through website, so no need for shop, I just need somebody who will make this stuff, I bought shirts in the past in MBK and they are not bad quality, the color remains intact after few years also the art on the shirt (plaster) so I need this kind of quality.

Mabye really is better to go to China, but I have no experience going there and where to find these people.

I saw one ripoff or Aflfliction in THailand, I bought few shirts from them, these people dont even have a working website, so you cant buy it, so individuals sell the shirts through ebay to USA market

If you google for them you only see the phone number in an office near Thanon pretchaburi

Also I was thinking of buying a container of Thai stuff and sell it in USA through craiglist smile.png

When you go to China,the problem is (for me it is) that you have to order large amounts.For example:At least 500 pieces of 1 size,1 color,1 design.That's what they told me .What if the product does'nt sell good enough ?Then you create a huge stock what you have to sell for peanuts to loose them again.I am affraid of those things.I look for a small atelier i guess first and then see...You can order after more sizes,colors,designs.Same Bangladesh,etc...plus i want to look not only for a small atelier but also fairtrade:no kids working,normal paid people,good work envirement,etc.not easy to find .

Also I was thinking of buying a container of Thai stuff and sell it in USA through craiglist smile.png

When you go to China,the problem is (for me it is) that you have to order large amounts.For example:At least 500 pieces of 1 size,1 color,1 design.That's what they told me .What if the product does'nt sell good enough ?Then you create a huge stock what you have to sell for peanuts to loose them again.I am affraid of those things.I look for a small atelier i guess first and then see...You can order after more sizes,colors,designs.Same Bangladesh,etc...plus i want to look not only for a small atelier but also fairtrade:no kids working,normal paid people,good work envirement,etc.not easy to find .

B.t.w.if you find a good little factory or atelier ...pls share :) I need one to ! Tips of this kind around Thailand (Cambodia,Laos) or India also Welcome biggrin.png:) Thx. Very interesting and helpfull posts here !

where is that baiyoke 2? a street?

i dont want to sell shirts already made, I want to make my own designs, the only think I need is some artist who will made graphics

but if i have to order 500 shorts of one size, that is a bummer

here is the shirt I have, similar, the compayns is called imperial clothing or something who knows

and I want this quality

anybody knows them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Sworded-Shogun-of-Affliction-Hardy-Warrior-Star-MMA-Shorts-s-T-SHIRT-M-/390730040375?pt=UK_Men_s_T_Shirts&hash=item5af9534437

Edited by expatsupreme

here is the shirt I have, similar, the compayns is called imperial clothing or something who knows

and I want this quality

anybody knows them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Sworded-Shogun-of-Affliction-Hardy-Warrior-Star-MMA-Shorts-s-T-SHIRT-M-/390730040375?pt=UK_Men_s_T_Shirts&hash=item5af9534437

The t-shirt looks cheap, tacky and similarly priced.

Your business won't last a week if this is the extent of your business plan.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

I saw the t-shirt.You need somebody for the graphic but what costs the graphic designer and will he keep on doing it for you ?It's kind of a print that's very big and complicated.Your target public (buyers) will be a small group of people.Always think before you start:Who's gonna buy my stuff ?What kind of people ?A big public or a small ?Wich age ?Etc...Do they have money to spend or not?Create something people like to have..A "wanna have" thing/design.The research to your "target group of people that wanna buy your stuff is very important.Look on the internet.Then the pricing.How much ?I don't know..just try to give advice.It's a hard world out there in fashion.Very hard.Now your hot and tomorrow your not.So to be sure..make that your stuff is a winner .At least for a long period of time.Many start,many give up.I know what i have seen.So do research very well and if you are sure about everything,your product,supplier,designer...then you go.Suc6.

i dont want to sell shirts already made, I want to make my own designs, the only think I need is some artist who will made graphics

but if i have to order 500 shorts of one size, that is a bummer

and I want this quality

anybody knows them?

It is the tall building in Bangkok.smile.png

Baiyoke 2 Tower is a hotel, stated to be the tallest building in Bangkok, stands next to the original old Baiyoke Tower Hotel (now called 1). The area around is a wholesale cloth/fashion market, and also with many Indian shops/tailors (seems like the Indian part of the town). Close to Baiyoke is Platinum Mall, said to be more than 1,000 fashion/cloth stores, in the basement you will find wholesalers. Ratchaprarop Station at the Airport Link right next to Baioke or Phaya Thai on Sky Train (Mo Chit line) also pretty close.

Sill wondering if there is nowhere in Thailand an English speaking person/company that owns an atelier/little factory that works on small orders for making patterns and/or prototypes for designers and where tou can order by the piece.If anyone knows ...yell out smile.png

• Like 1

Unless you are American, Thailand is a bitch to own and operate a business. It's hard enough for Americans.

I suspect that there are more clothes made in Cambodia than in Thailand, and you can actually own a business and work. At least Cambodia is very big on clothing manufacturing.

I would do something such as have the clothes made in another country, ship them to the US which has no import duties, and hire a drop shipper to ship the sales you make on the internet including Amazon, Ebay, and your own web site.

Once you build a brand name, you might be able to put them in stores. I know someone who made millions doing that, but that was when China would take smaller orders hoping for growth. I don't know that environment now.

Be sure to put a brand name on them that is English. Your market should be native English speakers who have the money to pay a premium for desirable items.

• Like 1

Thx so much for your tips.I really appreciate it.Good idea !In MBK i was last April..indeed i could have asked.I live in Belgium now but would love to spend also a period a year in Thailand.Indeed i should also find out for small factory or atelier in Cambodia or maybe India.

you belgians are full of money, why you dont just move here, work in belgium 6 month, then relax here the rest

also many brands are made in thailand, like NIke, or malaysia, but you never get anything good, everything is exported back to states, here they only use cheap force assholez and then ship back to states