Working in CM for 3 months -- thoughts on Educating daughters 11 & 13?

catforbes

We will be relocating for my husband's work for a 3 month period only. I would very much appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on an International School that may be willing to take our girls for a temporary 3 month time period only. We are English speakers from Canada, the girls (ages 11yrs-old - grade 6 and 13yrs-old - grade 8) are also fluent in French, but have no other language skills.

The other option would be homeschooling, but again, I know nothing about this... I feel overwhelmed already and would be grateful for any help and assistance on where to begin. Unfortunately, we don't yet know where exactly in CM we will be living until my husband arrives there on Jan 6th... We will be joining him at the beginning of February (until the end of April).

Many thanks for any help or suggestions!!

it is my understanding that most international schools charge by the semester... so unless money is no object, that does not seem like a good

option for you.

Homeschooling might be the best route. It is much more affordable and while again, you might have to enroll for a semester in an online academy,

the overall cost is much cheaper. Many of the online academies provide online "teachers" to assist with the process, sometimes at an

extra cost, sometimes not.

there are several Homeschooling groups in CM that might also be of help to you if you are just looking for something to cover the gap socially as well.

Your arrival dates could also line up with schools holiday periods although int. schools and others run on a different timetable.

Just check the websites via Google International Schools Chiang Mai and check. For which is better there are posts here about all that.

I am sure that one of the International Schools would be willing to show the girls to sit in for such a short period of time- my daughter goes to Lanna and is very happy there, but there are 4 or 5 other options.

I would have thought that they could all come up with a rate to take into account the time of attendance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

You could try contacting Simon Bradshaw at Perfect Homes (website) He and his (thai) wife were both teachers here and have a school age daughter, so can probably give you the lowdown on education options, as well as accommodation if you need that too.

Best of luck with your adventure-great life experience for your daughters.

You could try contacting Simon Bradshaw at Perfect Homes (website) He and his (thai) wife were both teachers here and have a school age daughter, so can probably give you the lowdown on education options, as well as accommodation if you need that too.

Wouldn't it just be easier to contact the schools ! rather than someone who use to be a teacher, not unless your just trying to drum up business for him of course whistling.gif

Wouldn't it just be easier to contact the schools ! rather than someone who use to be a teacher, not unless your just trying to drum up business for him of course whistling.gif

Of course it wouldn't be easier or - better! A recommendation or referral is far better and can form part of an introduction to a school that the Referrer may know of that fits the Enquirers circumstances and very likely avoid contacting numerous schools, who's Receptionist might not speak English too well or give confusing information, even supposing the Schools are open when they try to contact them.

Regarding a recommendation because it might mean business for his friend is not remotely inferred by the kind gentleman who took time out to help a stranger and, like me, knows many people in many areas of life in Thailand who can give quality information quickly and doesn't offer that help to someone for personal gain!

Ok Alfieconn if you have better ideas about how to help this family in Canada, go for it-dont just be a typical TV negative Norman.

List out all the suitable schools for them and provide them with contact details _ i dont know the schools which is why I suggested someone who does.

But I doubt you will do anything useful because its easier for you to make snide remarks about someone else trying to help.

I would "homeschool" if it was only 3 months. In fact it would be "unschool" as we do with our kids. Which is a system which embraces "in-life" naturally learning rather than working through specific text book or fixed pedagogical system.

We make a lesson and learning experience of everything we do by Q & A's and a lot of logic, reasoning and interaction with them.

Kids learn naturally at a rapid rate and as long as your focus is on being a coach and facilitator of learning they can learn anything especially with the aid of the internet for research and even many interactive things.

We also are registered with Studyladder online which costs $88 per year and has a wide and proven curriculum developed over many years of online learning emphasis. There are specific curriculum and videos to suit US, CAN, UK, AUS NZ and all using native speakers.

If you can supervise your kids so they don't interrupt your work too much then I'd say that a 90 day hiatus and alternate study whilst here in Thailand could be a really wonderful thing for them to experience.

Of course it wouldn't be easier or - better! A recommendation or referral is far better and can form part of an introduction to a school that the Referrer may know of that fits the Enquirers circumstances and very likely avoid contacting numerous schools, who's Receptionist might not speak English too well or give confusing information, even supposing the Schools are open when they try to contact them.

Regarding a recommendation because it might mean business for his friend is not remotely inferred by the kind gentleman who took time out to help a stranger and, like me, knows many people in many areas of life in Thailand who can give quality information quickly and doesn't offer that help to someone for personal gain!

All i'm saying is that it was a plug for Perfect Homes and as "beau thai" hasn't denied it i suspect i might be right ! especially when he mentions accomodation which the OP wasn't even enquiring about.

Edited by alfieconn

All i'm saying is that it was a plug for Perfect Homes and as "beau thai" hasn't denied it i suspect i might be right ! especially when he mentions accomodation which the OP wasn't even enquiring about.

As I thought, you didnt try to help.

And think before you type. The OP says she is staying 3 months. How much do you think Perfect Homes would make if they did rent for 3 months? And how many properties would they drive them around to do it?? Precisely why most agents only want to do 1 year lets.

Perfect Homes will probably curse me for mentioning them but I know if I was the other side of the world taking kids to a strange city, I would welcome a little help-and I hope Simon will be happy to do it. But he wont make money or expect to - but at least we know your criteria for helping people: there has to be something in it for you.

Hi, each of the international schools is based on a specific type of curriculum. Lana is a British curriculum, CMIS is American, Prem is the International Baccalaureate or IB. While home schooling may be an option I think this could be a wonderful opportunity for your children to taste international life and a multi cultural environment. I have 2 daughters at Prem international school. http://ptis.threegeneration.org/ Melanie is the admissions person, you could contact her to inquire about arrangements for a short term study [email protected] or via skype melanie.PTIS during working hours here. My daughters and I have been here for 12 years, feel free to PM me if you would like to ask any other questions.

About 12 years ago I was in a similar situation. However, my time coincided with school terms so I put them into Lanna International in Chiang Mai. My 8 year old daughter had a dreadful time - ostracised by the class queen bee and her classmates for some unknown reason. My 11 year old son, however, loved it there. In retrospect, I wish I had not been so naive as to think a single term in a new school could be relatively easy and adventurous for young children.

If I were faced with this choice again today, I would consider instead hiring a nanny-style "tutor" from a Hill-tribe or Shan organisation (by advertising in places such as "The Freedom House"- http://culturalcanvas.com/hill-tribe-assistance-program) for 5 days a week to oversee cultural and language experiences, not curriculum-based learning. In addition, you could utilise some of the more structured home schooling opportunities available such as science labs, art classes, by contacting Chiang Mai Home Educators Coop (http://cmhomeschool.org) or Chiang Mai Home Schooling (https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.homeschooling). This would mean seeing your children's learning as less 3Rs, and more culture and life for a few months. I think no bad thing at their age.

With young children --- even older children --- OP, you probably don't have a big problem at all. You have an opportunity! What's the hurry? So many parents are trapped into societal expectations, other peoples' schedules, and just what they are used to.

The experience of a new place (which you can help make exciting or awful by your attitude), if YOU spend the time exploring and enjoying it with them, especially if you take the time to prepare yourself for where you go, what you see, and what you do, will be invaluable for them. Say "WOW!" about new things together! It is an experience that will shape their futures, much more so in some important ways beyond "sticking with the experience" of the routine school experience. Take a new look at this opportunity!

just stay home in canada if it is only for 3 months

why bother ???

schools will charge you the whole yearly fee, includiing the entrance fee

cannot live with husband for 3 months???

Dont agree Belg!! Life is an adventure- go for it!

If the daughters miss a little school but can open their eyes to a totally different culture and lifestyle, they will have that experience with them for ever. University of Life and all that good stuff!

...not unless your just trying to drum up business for him of course whistling.gif

seems that is the case as the recommendations for this falang are ad nauseam.

I am blown away by the generosity of so many to help out a complete stranger -- what a wonderful community you have here! You have given me a lot to chew on and thankfully have also provided real and creative solutions for the various scenarios (along with websites and references!). Since my original post, I have rec'd further info about what to expect with my husband's work. He is producing a film in Chiang Mai, but will also be shooting in remote locations and villages from Pang Ma Pha to Si Satchanalai. While we will be in Chiang Mai for the majority of the 3 month period, formal schooling during this time may be unrealistic because of the many side trips we will be taking throughout this period.

My daughters have read over all of the suggestions and love the idea of homeschooling or 'unschooling' (which child would not love this term?!). Homeschooling coupled with the aid of a French tutor... (they don't have much faith that I can keep them on task and admittedly I have to agree with them). Could someone kindly point us to a good place to find a French tutor? We are also interested in finding an English speaking Girl Guide / Girl Scout Troop, if anyone knows of one, or some other regular activities for the 11-13 yr-old age group. A new forum topic perhaps...?

Note: regarding the frustration expressed amongst posters, I accept that I may be missing something here, but I am very thankful for those of you looking out for the well-being of this 'newbie' and equally for those whose efforts to help went above and beyond the original request.

Again, I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts! Thank you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Defo the home-school route; various curricula and a ton of resources out there. Aside from not having to contend with the ever-burgeoning traffic in this fair town and the hassles/cost with trying to get in part-term, they would doubtless learn a lot more. Heck, plonk an iPad in a kid's lap and get them to read a book a week and they'd be ahead of the game. Home-schooling also doesn't mean being stuck at home for the duration as you probably know, there are many groups with get-togethers and learning days out etc. Formal 'education' as we know it sucks! rolleyes.gif

Believe there's a French language school in town or you could check out the classifieds section on this site.

Edited by jackr

Defo the home-school route; various curricula and a ton of resources out there. Aside from not having to contend with the ever-burgeoning traffic in this fair town and the hassles/cost with trying to get in part-term, they would doubtless learn a lot more. Heck, plonk an iPad in a kid's lap and get them to read a book a week and they'd be ahead of the game. Home-schooling also doesn't mean being stuck at home for the duration as you probably know, there are many groups with get-togethers and learning days out etc. Formal 'education' as we know it sucks! rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717>

Believe there's a French language school in town or you could check out the classifieds section on this site.

Good advice here. Will look for the French language school and check out the classified section -- thank you!

Do something fun/interesting. To me I think the last thing I would do is send them to a school. (I'm not opposed to school either, I just think it sounds like a great opportunity to do something different, that your kids will always look back on fondly.)

Here's some ideas:

Travel and see Thailand.

Have them spend 3 months learning math on ALEKS. A boot camp of sort.. www.aleks.com

2 hours math, 2 hours Mandarin, 1 hour reading.

Teach them what it takes to be good at something. Teach them why it's important to be extremely good at whatever it is they focus on.

Learn to play golf.

Have them read great books.

Learn an art. Sculpture, painting, etc.

Write a book.

Learn how to write a computer program.

Build a website.

Learn the Adobe Suite.

Help a charity.

• 1 year later...

With young children --- even older children --- OP, you probably don't have a big problem at all. You have an opportunity! What's the hurry? So many parents are trapped into societal expectations, other peoples' schedules, and just what they are used to.

The experience of a new place (which you can help make exciting or awful by your attitude), if YOU spend the time exploring and enjoying it with them, especially if you take the time to prepare yourself for where you go, what you see, and what you do, will be invaluable for them. Say "WOW!" about new things together! It is an experience that will shape their futures, much more so in some important ways beyond "sticking with the experience" of the routine school experience. Take a new look at this opportunity!

I totally agree with this.

Experiencing a different culture for 3 months will far outweigh any schooling missed. Spend time with them exploring. Once you arrive I would try to find the nearest Thai school and inquire if the children could attend the school for a few days just for the experience.