Tourist visa for Spain for Thai passport holder.

I hold an Australian passport and am thinking of going to Spain for a couple of weeks in June 2014 to do an intensive Spanish language course in Seville.

Much to my surprise my Thai missus (not legally married just the old Monk thing in the house in the sticks) said she would like to come with me.

The visa requirements for Spain for a Thai passport holder are quite onerous so, I was wondering what success the Thai partners of non-EU citizens had had with this type of visa application.

My missus has a few houses in Bangers plus a paddy farm in the sticks and her income is derived from the rentals on the houses, rental on the land plus top-ups from me.

Thanks everyone,

Steve

The requirements are not that onerous; though a bit tedious, and are the same for all those who require a Schengen visa, not just Thais; unless they are family members of an EEA national.

Are you sure that you do not require one as well? As far as I am aware Australians can only enter the Schengen area without a visa for tourism/family visits and business visits.

As your intention is to study, you may need a visa as well.

I intend to return to UK in Summer next year. (For which I will need a UK visa for my Thai wife - she has had 3 others.) Whilst there, I would like to take a package holiday to somewhere like Spain or Greece or France. The destination depends on what's on offer in the Travel Agents window. How do I square this with the Schengen visa requirement to apply at a specified country ? I don't know which country I'll choose.

As you probably know, your wife cannot apply for a Schengen visa in the UK whilst there as a visitor; so she'll have to apply in Thailand.

The rules mean that an applicant should apply to:

• the country which is their only destination; or
  • if passing through one or more countries to reach their main destination, the country which is their main destination, i.e. the one they will spend the most time in; or
  • if touring, the country which they will enter first.

However, once issued a Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states, so can be used to enter any Schengen country. If challenged, simply say that your plans have changed.

Are you a British citizen, or other EEA national? If so, then provided she is not entering a country of which you are a citizen and provided she can show that she is your wife, that you are an EEA citizen and that she is travelling with or to join you, they have to let her in; even if she doesn't have a Schengen visa.

Though you may have trouble convincing the airline to carry her and could face delays at immigration if she doesn't, so it's best to get one.

Edited by 7by7

See "Arriving at the border without an entry visa" on this page from the EU Commission.

However, as that says, it is better to have a visa, which for your wife should be easy, quick and free to obtain.

Even if, for example, Greek immigration are aware of the rules and so let her in without a visa, the airline may not be and so not let her board.

In addition; if you married in Thailand, although an English translation of your marriage certificate should suffice Schengen countries require the translation be authenticated by the Thai MFA; whether using it to apply for a visa or to enter a Schengen country without a visa.

I have no problems getting a Spanish visa in BKK for the Thai 'wife' but I own property there which might help.

I understand that Spain is perhaps the easiest country to apply through in BKK for a Schengen visa.

Once she has a Schengen visa she can travel anywhere in the EU but NOT the UK. That does need a separate visa from the Brit Embassy so be careful with your travel plans.

It helps big time if she has been overseas before and has returned to Thailand inside the visa limits. Her intent to return is a major concern with any country.

On the reverse side, as a Pom, I did manage to provide enough evidence to VFS to grant her a visa to Oz last year.

Good luck

Edited by Bpuumike

The requirements are not that onerous; though a bit tedious, and are the same for all those who require a Schengen visa, not just Thais; unless they are family members of an EEA national.

Are you sure that you do not require one as well? As far as I am aware Australians can only enter the Schengen area without a visa for tourism/family visits and business visits.

No Mate,

Done it a few times already. No visa needed. It is not really serious study, just a couple of weeks to brush up on the old espanol and check out Seville. Spent 2 days there this year on a road trip and I would like to go back.

I intend to return to UK in Summer next year. (For which I will need a UK visa for my Thai wife - she has had 3 others.) Whilst there, I would like to take a package holiday to somewhere like Spain or Greece or France. The destination depends on what's on offer in the Travel Agents window. How do I square this with the Schengen visa requirement to apply at a specified country ? I don't know which country I'll choose.

I would suggest Spain but make sure she has a multi-entry for the UK

Maybe your idea of onerous and mine are different but as far as I can tell from the Visa processing site in Bangers the things that I consider onerous are the confirmation of flight bookings and the confirmation of accommodation. Seems a bit rough to have to pay for these things before you get a visa. Anyway, as Ned Kelly said "Such is life".

So far she is on her third 1 year multiple entry visa to Oz and it was a doddle compared to what the Espanoles want.

However, I am pretty sure we can meet all the requirements. I was just interested in getting feedback from any non EU citizens on how their applications went for their Thai partners.

Appreciate your replies, thanks,

Steve

I have no problems getting a Spanish visa in BKK for the Thai 'wife' but I own property there which might help.

I understand that Spain is perhaps the easiest country to apply through in BKK for a Schengen visa.

Once she has a Schengen visa she can travel anywhere in the EU but NOT the UK. That does need a separate visa from the Brit Embassy so be careful with your travel plans.

It helps big time if she has been overseas before and has returned to Thailand inside the visa limits. Her intent to return is a major concern with any country.

On the reverse side, as a Pom, I did manage to provide enough evidence to VFS to grant her a visa to Oz last year.

Good luck

HA ha, the reason that she got a visa to visit Oz is that we understand that the Poms have good taste and they let us win at cricket.

Edited by senor123

See "Arriving at the border without an entry visa" on this page from the EU Commission.

However, as that says, it is better to have a visa, which for your wife should be easy, quick and free to obtain.

Even if, for example, Greek immigration are aware of the rules and so let her in without a visa, the airline may not be and so not let her board.

In addition; if you married in Thailand, although an English translation of your marriage certificate should suffice Schengen countries require the translation be authenticated by the Thai MFA; whether using it to apply for a visa or to enter a Schengen country without a visa.

Not wishing to hi-jack this thread, but.......

Does this mean that a Thai wife could do a stop-off for a week or 2 in EU on the way to UK, assuming she has the UK visa in her hand?

Only if can satisfy that country's immigration that she is travelling with or to join her British husband in that country.

Assuming the airline would let her board a flight to that country without the relevant visa.

That she has a UK visa and her final destination is the UK wont change that.

Of course, changing flights in another EEA country, or any country, wouldn't be a problem provided she remained airside and didn't pass through that country's immigration.

The Republic of Ireland is also not in the Schengen area and so a separate visa is also required for there; though Thailand is on the Irish visa waiver list so if a Thai national has a UK visit visa they do not need one for the RoI.

As you are a Pom then you are also an EEA national, so the requirements for your wife are a lot less than those for the OP's wife as he is Australian.

No Mate,

Done it a few times already. No visa needed. It is not really serious study, just a couple of weeks to brush up on the old espanol and check out Seville. Spent 2 days there this year on a road trip and I would like to go back.

Fair enough, as you're sure.

we understand that the Poms have good taste and they let us win at cricket.

No need to rub it in!sad.png

7by7 you are a mind of info when it comes to Visa's and Thank you for assisting me previously!! I know this is a little off subject but thought I'd mention.... My Thai wife is now in the UK on a resident visa, I applied for a Schengen visa earlier this year to go on holiday to France, when I visited the French embassy, sure enough they refused as I hadn't had the Official translation of our marriage certificate stamped by the Thai embassy even though she was in the UK on a 30 month settlement visa. I've now had it stamped and will apply again in 2014 to take her to France/Spain etc.

I'm a Dutch national.

Don´t know about other Schengen states, but my attempts to get a Schengen Visa for my Thai wife have been unsuccesfull for the past 10 years.

The refusals were always argumented by the high risk of illegal stay after the visits (officially called ¨residence danger¨).

I got fed up with it and moved to Thailand this year.

No Mate,

Sorry 7by7, you are probably right about the visa for study. I did not read your reply correctly. However, I just go as a tourist and spend a couple of weeks studying as well as sightseeing.

Well, I am not much the wiser about my missus' chances of getting a tourist visa. As i will go anyway, whether she can get a visa or not, I will just buy refundable airline tickets for her. Will have to find a friend to share my hotel room if she can't make it smile.png (Just joking).

Good luck

HA ha, the reason that she got a visa to visit Oz is that we understand that the Poms have good taste and they let us win at cricket.

Too true Blue, cricket is a sensitive spot right now.

Couldn't beat us at football though so changed the rules to where we can't understand them lol

Edited by Bpuumike

I'm a Dutch national.

Don´t know about other Schengen states, but my attempts to get a Schengen Visa for my Thai wife have been unsuccesfull for the past 10 years.

The refusals were always argumented by the high risk of illegal stay after the visits (officially called ¨residence danger¨).

Next time try the Spanish Embassy in BKK and say you are going for a holiday.

You are correct that 'residence danger' is a major concern with any country.

Don't even tell Spanish Immigration you are going to study.

A lot of people go there for extended Winter holidays just for the sun.

Edited by Bpuumike

I'm a Dutch national.

If you have been attempting to get a visa for her to join or visit you in The Netherlands then unfortunately the EEA freedom of movement rules don't apply when the non EEA family member is applying to enter the country of which the EEA national family member is a national; in your case The Netherlands. So she would have to comply with the Dutch immigration rules.

Obtaining a visa for her from another EEA state, Schengen or not, would be a lot easier as the EEA rules would apply.

I am unsure about her position if she then entered The Netherlands from that state; but think she would be there illegally even if she had a Schengen visa issued but another Schengen state and if she wanted to stay then she would need to regularise her situation.

I don't know enough about the Dutch immigration rules to say how she would do so, or even if she could.

Thanks 7by7 for making it clear.

Holland has exceptionally strict immigration ruling.
The strangest thing about this is that foreigners have more rights than the nationals of a country, quite the opposite from Thailand.

I actually considered moving to a neighbour country when I was nearing 50, but leaving a solid hi-paid job at that age is not easily done.
Now approaching 60 and much more financially secure, I took the leap and moved to Thailand.

Thanks 7by7 for making it clear.

Holland has exceptionally strict immigration ruling.

The strangest thing about this is that foreigners have more rights than the nationals of a country, quite the opposite from Thailand.

I actually considered moving to a neighbour country when I was nearing 50, but leaving a solid hi-paid job at that age is not easily done.

Now approaching 60 and much more financially secure, I took the leap and moved to Thailand.

It would be nice if all the European countries sang from the same song sheet.

Some regular posters have never had to cope with the uneven playing field outside of migration.