One dead as gunman opens fire at Thai protesters

webfact

One dead as gunman opens fire at Thai protesters
by Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, December 28, 2013 (AFP) - An unidentified gunman opened fire at opposition protesters in Bangkok Saturday, killing one person and wounding several others in a pre-dawn attack that fanned tensions in the politically divided kingdom.

The shooting follows weeks of mass anti-government protests -- seeking to topple Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra -- that have triggered bloody clashes between police and demonstrators.

A protester died after he was shot in the torso and three others were hospitalised with gunshot wounds, a spokesman for the city's Erawan emergency centre said.

Police confirmed the shooting but said its forensic team was unable to access the scene of the incident, which happened where a group of protesters was camped overnight near Government House.

It was unclear who fired the shots but armed provocateurs have a history of trying to stir tensions in the politically polarised kingdom, with each side usually blaming the other.

Some local media reports said the shots were fired from a passing car by more than one gunman.

Yingluck has called February elections in the hope of bringing an end to the demonstrations, which have drawn tens of thousands of people seeking to curb her billionaire family's political dominance.

But the protesters have vowed to block the vote, saying it will only return the Shinawatra clan to power.

A second round of registration for constituency candidates was due to begin around the country on Saturday, raising fears of further clashes.

Eight people, including a policeman, have been killed and about 400 wounded in several outbreaks of street violence.

The government has said it will ask the army to provide security for election candidates and voters.

A policeman and a civilian died of gunshots fired by unknown assailants while 153 people were injured after violence erupted Thursday when demonstrators tried to force their way into an election registration venue.

The army chief insisted Friday that the military would remain neutral and said it was up to the election authorities whether the vote could go ahead, but he did not rule out another coup.

"The door is neither closed nor open. In every situation, anything can happen," he said when asked about the possibility of a coup, without elaborating.

Thailand has been periodically convulsed by political bloodshed since Yingluck's older brother Thaksin Shinawatra was overthrown by royalist generals in a coup seven years ago.

The protesters, a mix of southerners, middle class and urban elite, accuse the billionaire tycoon-turned-politician of corruption and say he controls his sister's government from his self-exile in Dubai.

They want an unelected "people's council" to run the country to oversee loosely-defined reforms -- such as an end to alleged "vote buying" -- before new elections are held in around a year to 18 months.

Yingluck's government still enjoys strong support in the northern half of the country and is expected to win the election if it goes ahead.

Thaksin's "Red Shirt" supporters have accused the demonstrators of trying to incite the military to seize power again, in a country which has seen 18 successful or attempted coups since 1932.

It is the worst civil strife since 2010, when more than 90 people were killed in a bloody military crackdown on pro-Thaksin Red Shirt protests under the previous government.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-28

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let the TV veterans come up with who done it theories.

1. A man in Black

2. A man in Red

3. An resident of the area who's upset with the protesters disrupting his life.

4. An police office getting even for the death of his friend.

5. Someone who love to see a coup

6. An upset housewife because her husband didn't come home for dinner.

7. A TV veteran who wants more to write about here.

Pick one or make up your own silly theory

Heating up. Just as many of us westerners anticipated (and most Thais seemed unable to anticipate).

It is an impasse that is not surmount able without a coup or major societal overhaul.

I predict it will continue to spiral out of control.

• Like 1

1. A man in Black

2. A man in Red

I go for an oppprtunistic nutter with a gun.

You would have to be a psycopath to shoot into a group of people like this

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Now the military have their justification for a coup.

Afterwards they can allow peaceful reforms to occur prior to elections.

Exactly what Suthep has been aiming for all along. But don't expect to see elections anytime soon if the military step in. Democracy will be taking backward steps.

Condolences to the dead and injured.

Maybe 3 months for discussions & debate re reforms & a referundum to vote on them.

Elections by the Spring.

Dear Thai people! Please stop allow the leaders of both sides of the divide to use you as pawns!

It goes for the followers of madman Suthep as well for the followers of the wannabe Amart redshirt-leaders.

They couldn't care less about you!! You are just means used to retain their spot at the trough!bah.gif

I doubt too many if any Thais would ever read anything from this forum.

• Like 1

the other dead was cop, as thai protesters open fire.

also some 38 cops hospitalised, including those shot at. The first shooted victim was a cop, hit in the right arm

I think this is a different shooting incident.

shooting was going on all day, from injuring cop at the right arm around 9am, to killing another cop about 4pm.

the injured protester died on friday, day after the clashes

the other dead was cop, as thai protesters open fire.

also some 38 cops hospitalised, including those shot at. The first shooted victim was a cop, hit in the right arm

I think this is a different shooting incident.

shooting was going on all day, from injuring cop at the right arm around 9am, to killing another cop about 4pm.

the injured protester died on friday, day after the clashes

Different place [this incident did not take place at the Thai-Japanese stadium where the earlier shootings happened], different shooter [i'm guessing, could be the same pyscho I guess], different victim.

Edited by Bluespunk

Well I have received my fourth letter from our Canadian embassy in the past month warning us about all this and telling us that to be in Thailand now is not a good idea.

For once, my embassy might be onto something. Thailand is stronly going down hill once again but I predict that this one could be the big one.

It could be Hello Laos soon for me.

Nothing from the UK.

Hopefully they don't know where I am!

1507625.GIF

• Like 2

Well I have received my fourth letter from our Canadian embassy in the past month warning us about all this and telling us that to be in Thailand now is not a good idea.

For once, my embassy might be onto something. Thailand is stronly going down hill once again but I predict that this one could be the big one.

It could be Hello Laos soon for me.

The government of Canada is not telling people not to visit LOS at this time:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/thailand

Siam is still a go.

POLITICAL VIOLENCE
One protester killed, three injured in shooting near Government House

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An anti-government protester was shot dead and three others injured by unknown gunmen at the demonstration site near Government House early Saturday morning, emergency medical services agency reports.

All of them were shot around 03.30 am near the gate number 4 of Government House, according Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Erawan Emergency Medical Services Centre.

They were sent to three hospitals in Bangkok. Two were undergone treatment at Ramathibodi and another two were sent to Rajvithi and Klang hospital.

Injured protesters who were admitted to Ramathibodi hospital were shot at their neck, shoulder, and the upper knee. Both of them were safe.

While another protester who was admitted tot Klang hospital was shot at his body. The bullet has pierced from the right side to left side of his body. He later died.

One of protest leader Suriyasai Katasila said the slain victim was a security guard of the Students and People Network for Thailand's Reform, which was holding a rally near the Government House.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-28

Was reading today from another source that can't be named here that lower ranking police are speaking out on LINE saying they were given no orders on how to act and were "sitting ducks."

I really feel for everyone involved. What a mess. Sadly, it will happen all over again in a few more years.

1. A man in Black

2. A man in Red

I go for an oppprtunistic nutter with a gun.

You would have to be a psycopath to shoot into a group of people like this

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Or a zealot. Thinking to please their masters people are known to do blindingly stupid things.

But to imagine Saedaengs " Ronin Warriors" are no more because he is gone would be quite foolish,

as well as imagine their paymaster is no longer around either. Many factions with a dog in this fight,

and those dogs are not always subservient to the biggest dogs when not in their sight.

Edited by animatic

Yellows killing yellows to crank it up. Only one side wants bloodshed and the army on the streets. Known tactic of previous yellow demos...toss in some ammo when you are not achieving your goals

It's so good to know that we are kept well informed by someone with such insight and personal knowledge.

I mean, the Reds would never do that would they?

Troll.

• Like 2