Thai Army chief Prayuth refuses to rule out a military coup

webfact

ARMY
Prayuth refuses to rule out a military coup

Panya Thiosangwan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- For the first time since the anti-government protests began almost two months ago, the Army chief has refused to rule out the possibility of a military coup.

Asked if there was any possibility of one, General Prayuth Chan-ocha retorted: "If there is a coup, will they listen? All these groups are Thai."

When asked again if he ruled out the possibility of a coup, Prayuth said, "That door is neither open or closed. Everything depends on the situation."

He added the military needed support so it could play an acceptable role and not be accused of resorting to old-fashioned tactics. "The Army is at a difficult crossroads," he said. "We cannot go left or right - we have shown a red light to both sides."

Prayuth said that while the government and the anti-government protesters both insisted on their different paths, the Army had to choose a straighter path to a peaceful solution. He told reporters that during a meeting with his personnel, he had made it clear that all evidence of their activities needed to be recorded, so that a scenario similar to that during the protests in 2010 didn't occur. This would ensure any future investigations were able to proceed with ease. "In my view, a group of people instigated violence, which has hurt Thailand's majority. The majority are intent on resolving the country's political problems but another group likes to use violence.

"They might think that without violence, the country's problems cannot be solved and they cannot succeed. I cannot be sure, but it appears their actions are similar to those used in 2010. I'm not sure if this group took part in the [anti-Abhisit Vejjajiva government] protest," he said, calling on those who were allegedly using violence to end it.

However, Prayuth added that violence had also occurred because some police officers had lost their tempers, resulting in some violent scenes.

Prayuth also said shots fired on Thursday from a building near the Bangkok Youth Centre (Thai-Japan), along with the violence at Ramkhamhaeng University earlier this month needed to be thoroughly investigated.

Asked about the military's part in the upcoming MP candidacy registration, Prayuth said according to the law, soldiers would only be able to protect the area chosen for the registration of candidates.

Prayuth then requested that protesters return home to pray and pay their respects to their parents during the New Year festival, so that the situation calmed down.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-28

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great!..A Coup!...this will really place a lot of confidence with the rest of the world.

Should raise the value of my Sterling to the Baht, at least.

Every cloud.........

thats about the best thing that will come out of it

After the 2006 Coup the Baht got stronger and eventually gained to where it was at the beginning of 2013.

Be Cautious askng the Currency Gods to help due to a Coup

• Like 1

However, Prayuth added that violence had also occurred because some police officers had lost their tempers, resulting in some violent scenes.

If he has proof of this, Yingluck should be charged and beheaded. Oh, what the heck, behead her anyway, proof or no.

It wouldn't be Thailand if we didn't have a good ol' coup every now and than, the Thais thrives

on it, they like the action, the commotion, the comradery, perhaps a bit of looting here and there,

some fires and lots of singing, dancing and clapping, and of course, no need to got to work for

few weeks, all in lots of fun....and after all that mayhem and a new government/regime, someone will

stand up and declare AMANSTY, to reset, to forgive and forget....I just love Thailand....

Spot on, Bro...

and yeah, I love Thailand too.

Khun General Prayuth knows he is 2nd or 3rd option, but is betting on not having to. IMHO he is hoping it will be in the courts legally where it should be that Thaksin will be stalemated. He will be hoping for just a clean up job.

• Like 2

Well if the BIB can't (wont) control the place .......... coffee1.gif

When they do try to control things they just get accused of being red-shirt lackeys. I mentioned one time previously that military is for protecting the country from external threats and ploice for keeping peace internally - neither should have policitical affilations and neither should publicly view any political opions. Trouble seems to be that both military and police are sh*t scared that they might offend whoever might win (by that I mean which ever political party wins because the Thai people are on to a loser either way). They are both examples of the original "turncoats".

Maybe they want to hunker down for as long as they can and a coup will "save face".

Then Yingluck can blame the coup and not her administration. But then again, come the

corruption charges. She made her bed over the past couple of years if not mostly in foreign

countries, there may come a time when she has to sleep in them.

In an ideal world nobody wants the military running a country but if the politicians (elected or otherwise) can't do it then what is the alternative.....anarchy?

At least in the interim it would give the country some breathing room and who knows maybe someone will emerge to give the country the leadership it so badly needs.

Maybe they could give the police a much needed kick up the backside too.

• Like 1