Farang drew graffiti on temple wall

upinthesky

Seems rather an improvement to a cheap, boring, and ugly blank wall. Kind of like a tattoo. Why be sheep about this? The crowd seemed so upset and why exactly? Seems to me a big part of it was the artiste was a white foreigner, no? Would they have been similarly upset to see some Thai youth do the same thing? I don't think so, do you? Yes I can see this is vandalism and I would never do that myself, but I find the reaction in the video and here so far kind of curious. Is it YOUR wall? Is the reaction some kind of psychological projection to pathetically seek acceptance from xenophobic Thais, and buy into the bad white foreigner vs. good white foreigner meme.

Edited by Jingthing

Seems rather an improvement to a cheap, boring, and ugly blank wall. Kind of like a tattoo. Why be sheep about this? The crowd seemed so upset and why exactly? Seems to me a big part of it was the artiste was a white foreigner, no? Would they have been similarly upset to see some Thai youth do the same thing? I don't think so, do you?

He is no Banksy - and I think the overarching point here is respect - it isn't his wall , it is in fact a temple wall and he has no permission to dawb it as he feels fit - farang ot Thai alike it would be equally wrong. What would be more inventive would be a well excuted Buddha image with some appropriate quote such ass "to understand everything is to forgive everything !".

banksy_buddha.jpg

Perhaps. I just found some clues that some of the overreaction in the video from Thai and foreigner alike was influenced by the fact of the non-Thai appearance of the graffiti dude. I question just blindly accepting that as OK.

Anyway, he was lucky he didn't do that in Pattaya. The local transport thugs would have surely beat him to a pulp! (And if that happened I reckon many people here would support that.) Yes calling the police would make sense. Of course it was illegal, but I am more curious about the REACTIONS though.

Edited by Jingthing

Seems rather an improvement to a cheap, boring, and ugly blank wall. Kind of like a tattoo. Why be sheep about this? The crowd seemed so upset and why exactly? Seems to me a big part of it was the artiste was a white foreigner, no? Would they have been similarly upset to see some Thai youth do the same thing? I don't think so, do you? Yes I can see this is vandalism and I would never do that myself, but I find the reaction in the video and here so far kind of curious. Is it YOUR wall? Is the reaction some kind of psychological projection to pathetically seek acceptance from xenophobic Thais, and buy into the bad white foreigner vs. good white foreigner meme.

I guess wether it is an improvement on a boring and ugly blank wall is merely in the eyes of a beholder (like tatoos) but if you have been back home recently or to any city in the western world, no doubt you will find almost every surface particuly around the inner city and industrial areas are covered by this equilivent of visual gibberish . Thailand has enough visual pollution with plastic bags and rubbish dumped , deforestration , pollution of waterways, and general clutter without another form of pollution. It is not aTrompe-l'œil or any other worth while artistic endeavour. To try to colour the reaction as being an xenophobic attack by Thais is missing the point completely . It does not matter who did it it would still remain as pointless vandalism.

• Like 1

What a <deleted> flannel! It has absolutely nothing to do with art or freedom of expression; I wish someone had given that idiot a good hiding.

I suggest he try and pull this stunt at the Great Mosque in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia next.....

• Like 1

No matter what I say, odds of a potential vandal reading this and then deciding NOT to be stupid is rare.

Do I (a) forgive this human and let him live with his remorse. (B) want 100-years prison © deported and fined a billion baht or (d) tattoo him from head to toe.

I am in Thailand, I must forgive....wait, I left Thailand months ago....... I say D!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...