Protest leader Suthep declares Bangkok seizure after New Year

webfact

Question: It is my understanding that the Privy Council is the key conduit of information between the His Majesty the King and just about everyone else who has an interest in getting their issues brought before him to obtain his opinion, which is mostly politicians and perhaps big business interest groups. Does anyone have any insight as to what sort of statements are coming forth from the Privy Council concerning the current state of affairs ?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the TV trolls hate Suthep. If you are one of them, please feel free to offer alternative ideas on how to rid Thailand of the Shin wannabe dictatorship.

An election.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another bought and paid for dictatorship will resolve the problems for sure. Extraordinary idea. The question to ponder is: Is an election really a democratic concept when it is bought and paid for?

A re-election of the Shins will only result in further protests and increased violence until they are finally removed. Time to move on and get better leaders who are less motivated for obtaining huge wealth and power and with more real concern for improving the country.

• Like 1

This is going to put Yingluck in the same position as Abhisit in 2010. Faced with an organised mob orchestrated by a dictator, albeit from the front not the rear this time, the question is how will she react when she knows she must avoid at all costs leaving herself open to charges like the Democrat PM.

Those January Sales must look more inviting by the minute.

From the front? Old Musso never goes anywhere near the battle grounds that he sends the cannon fodder to. Did you see him at the election registeration punch-up? Of course not, he struts about the stage at Victory Monument ranting and raving to the cameras of his own TV station protected by his bodyguard of thugs.

You could do us all a favour by not trying to make this utterly corrupt old crook appear to be some kind of Joan of Arc, rather than the desperate has-been that he is, trying to get his snout back in the trough.

Exactly. The truth is that he is not angry with corruption . He is just angry he is not getting any and wants back on the gravy train.

• Like 2

"Mr Suthep said those killed and injured in clashes with the authorities will be given financial aid from the fund of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC)."

Does this mean he is looking for volunteers to fill the position of 'cannon fodder'?

yes

We expats do often not understand the divide in Thai society, and the unwillingness to compromise or negotiate. After following the "debate" here on Thaivisa the last couple of days. It looks like:

attachicon.gifright wrong.png Followed by NOattachicon.gifright wrong.png

So maybe "we" are not so much smarter than the Thais afterall??coffee1.gif

Exactly what I've been thinking. I find it fascinating that we 'third party observers' are just as intransigent in our views on one side or the other as the Thais we criticise. The discussion here seems to be as polarised as Thai society (and I'm part of the scrum too). Interesting psychological phenomenon.... that we seem to have become as invested in the debate as the Thais themselves.

Surely the nail in the coffin for Thai tourism. My condolences to the families.

It is a shame for the families that had to cancel or postpone their holidays. (Is that what you meant, sorry if not)?

However, have a thought for all the people that live in Bangkok trying to run business's like Bars, Restaurants, Hotels etc.

It's very, very tough out there trying to stay afloat in those types of business's right now.

Forget the stats from TOT. Its so quiet out there I heard a silk worm far% last night.

Many of the TV trolls hate Suthep. If you are one of them, please feel free to offer alternative ideas on how to rid Thailand of the Shin wannabe dictatorship.

An election.

Another bought and paid for dictatorship will resolve the problems for sure. Extraordinary idea. The question to ponder is: Is an election really a democratic concept when it is bought and paid for?

A re-election of the Shins will only result in further protests and increased violence until they are finally removed. Time to move on and get better leaders who are less motivated for obtaining huge wealth and power and with more real concern for improving the country.

search for "suthep" in google or wikipedia if you would like to know how ironic / ridiculous it is that anyone believes suthep is able (or even wants) to put an end to corruption

• Like 2

How does he figure he can claim sovereignty for his actions? Thailand has 70 million popln and his mobs number in the 100 000s at best. He is not in govt and has no chance to get in at the next election. Im not sure what definition of sovereignty he has in his dam_n fool head. He represents SOME people, not THE people. Mob rule by force is not democratic sovereignty but fascism. What a ridiculous situation - he is a major embarassment to Thailand. Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice rant but as articulate and accurate as what we have come to expect from pro government supporters and agencies whose mantra is not to let the truth get in the way of a good story. Official figures for the population are around 67 million of which there are less than 20 million legible voters in Isan and If you truly believe that Khun Suthep's mob is less than 100K you are grossly mistaken. I assume that the"THE: people you refer to are the PTP supporters who were to a significant extent both brainwashed and bought by the incumbent government and SOME people are the legions of Thai's who have simply had enough of the corruption and ineffectual governance that comes with putting clowns and idiots into power.

Have you ever stopped to think as to the percentage of Isan people who actually reside and work in Bangkok and perhaps thrown of the shroud of the Shiniwatra manipulation. The current government adopts the run and hide philosophy whilst trying to manipulate other to clean up the mess it leaves every time it opens its mouth.

I am far from being a Suthep supporter however I will give him this. He one of only a handful who has the balls to try to make a positive difference and he has been persistent in his objectives which is to get the parasitic Shiniwatra's out of Thai Politics and perhaps out of Thailand.

The country is in political turmoil and little Miss almost- a -politician is hiding up in Chang Mai amongst her brainwashed brigade inspecting roads.

It simply doers not get more banal than that.

The problem is that both groups are not worth of full support. Both of them have big dark sides, with Suthep needing to get power unconstitutionally, and Thaksin keep the power as long as they can.

Thaksin maybe the cancer, Suthep is no different. He is very good to throw smoke to the people and many TV poster... Talking about people, rights, and send away Shins.

But what about his People's council? What about reforms? He said Council will stay 12-18 months. But when he was at Government, he couldn't make half reform in more than one year!

Both of those clans (and who backs them) are the real ruin of this country.

• Like 2

Nut case rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif and when you all travel to Bangkok after the new year please turn on your head lights clap2.gifcheesy.gif

He's only a nutcase to those who people have no principles and no passion for human rights and justice and for those who have no interest in fighting for rights for their fellow human being. I stand for those who stand against injustice and evil. Go Go Suthep. Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

• Like 1

An election.

Goes against the principles of Suthep's faring sympathizers.

Can't have that.

Before you know it, those darkies from the North will be demanding they be treated fairly and be allowed to vote where they live and work.The current practice of denying people the right to register to vote where they live and work harkens back to the period in the US South and South Africa where large portions of the population were disenfranchised.

Most foreigners probably would be shocked to learn that hundreds of thousands of people are excluded from participating in their local elections. For example on Phuket, an estimated 300,000 cannot vote locally. Instead they must vote in their home provinces despite having lived on Phuket for some time. In other parliamentary democracies, voters can register to vote in their riding provided they have lived their a minimum time period such as 3 months. Not so in Thailand. Many workers cannot return to their home districts to vote, because of the expense, or because they cannot take time off work. They then lose their right to cast a ballot.

It's a nice way of disenfranchising a large segment of the population. The impact is that despite the sizeable numbers the PTP has garnered in the past, if a full right to vote practice was allowed, the numbers would be significantly larger.

Darkies, not from the US by any chance are you? I am sure you can find a more derogatory term if you search your gray matter.

it's not bangkokians, who should leave the city, but you and your goons should go back to the sticks.

many in the private sector are going to be seriously p*issed when the city will be run amok by endless protests.

without looking through hundreds of your posts

i am curious, did you say the same thing when the reds were doing the same thing?

• Like 1

An election.

Goes against the principles of Suthep's faring sympathizers.

Can't have that.

Before you know it, those darkies from the North will be demanding they be treated fairly and be allowed to vote where they live and work.The current practice of denying people the right to register to vote where they live and work harkens back to the period in the US South and South Africa where large portions of the population were disenfranchised.

Most foreigners probably would be shocked to learn that hundreds of thousands of people are excluded from participating in their local elections. For example on Phuket, an estimated 300,000 cannot vote locally. Instead they must vote in their home provinces despite having lived on Phuket for some time. In other parliamentary democracies, voters can register to vote in their riding provided they have lived their a minimum time period such as 3 months. Not so in Thailand. Many workers cannot return to their home districts to vote, because of the expense, or because they cannot take time off work. They then lose their right to cast a ballot.

It's a nice way of disenfranchising a large segment of the population. The impact is that despite the sizeable numbers the PTP has garnered in the past, if a full right to vote practice was allowed, the numbers would be significantly larger.

Darkies??

Edited by blackman

Nut case rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif and when you all travel to Bangkok after the new year please turn on your head lights clap2.gifcheesy.gif

He's only a nutcase to those who people have no principles and no passion for human rights and justice and for those who have no interest in fighting for rights for their fellow human being. I stand for those who stand against injustice and evil. Go Go Suthep. Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

I'm sure all of those who he's seeking to disenfranchise would not agree with you. But then they don't count do they?

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

Excellent point. Indeed, if the protestors could channel all those funds into a political campaign, maybe they could actually win a democratic election like their conservative cousins around the world!:)

Could somebody enlighten me who is paying for all the s€&@ ? Thousand of thousands of people who don't work, who is paying the slaty? Logistics supply cost Millions of Baht? Who is paying for that? Would be nice to know for what the demonstration are. I spoke with a lot of my friends 99% of the employees went to work? Than who was one the street? If I saw the protesters closely most of them did not look like the Bangkok elite more like dwellers who turn into professional protesters when paid. Only a question as we talk about vote buying practice?

Question: It is my understanding that the Privy Council is the key conduit of information between the His Majesty the King and just about everyone else who has an interest in getting their issues brought before him to obtain his opinion, which is mostly politicians and perhaps big business interest groups. Does anyone have any insight as to what sort of statements are coming forth from the Privy Council concerning the current state of affairs ?

The word is that they are backing Suthep.

• Like 1

I'm sure all of those who he's seeking to disenfranchise would not agree with you. But then they don't count do they?

Pardon?

It is patently obvious that Suthep is losing the battle so he is trying to win the war, by creating enough chaos in Bangkok

in the New Year he and his cronies are trying to force the Army to stage a Coup to "help the People of Thailand".

This would achieve probably achieve the same result of the 06 coup where the

Quote 2006 "The constitution would be amended for a rapid return to democracy through a national election in a year's time."

I am sure the people financing this unrest would be more than happy to assist in the amendments to the Constitution, for them it

is win win.

The oldest saying I was taught by my English teacher at school 45 years ago "If you don't learn from history you must relive it"

I guess and of course as usual this is my opinion, SAME SAME.

Pardon?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 2

After what the Army said yesterday, I can see a coup coming again....yawn.......reset the clock and everyone starts again....yawn....

I cant see Suthep and his cronies getting away with holding Bangkok under siege. The army wont let it happen.

having said that, all is not bad, the 2006 coup was great, streets deserted, great photo opportunities sitting on Thai army tanks, lets embrace it and hope for a holiday :)

• Like 1