First of 7 dangerous New Year holidays see 39 killed, 399 injured in road accidents

webfact

'No accidents have been reported in Chaiyaphum.....'

I have a rubber farmer friend that lives in Chaiyaphum. This morning in a phone call, amongst detailing the 2 day party she had just hosted, she said there had been several road accidents where she lived.

As said elsewhere these stats are so under reported as to be meaningless.

Where was it last year that reported zero deaths both at New Year and Songkhran?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WHO figures suggest wearing a crash helmet reduces the chance of death by 40% which would mean about 9000 lifes being saved every single year in Thailand.

How do you they were not wearing helmets ? Have you seen the typical 200 Bt Thai helmet ? What do you know about motocycle accidents ?

Just look around you, the vast majority of motorcyclists do not wear a helmet.

Any helmet is better than nothing if it fits and is properly fastened.

I have been a motorcyclist for nearly 40 years and worked for a police scene of crime office in the uk so know sonething of motorcycle accidents.

'No accidents have been reported in Chaiyaphum.....'

I have a rubber farmer friend that lives in Chaiyaphum. This morning in a phone call, amongst detailing the 2 day party she had just hosted, she said there had been several road accidents where she lived.

As said elsewhere these stats are so under reported as to be meaningless.

Where was it last year that reported zero deaths both at New Year and Songkhran?

Trat.

I have been a motorcyclist for nearly 40 years and worked for a police scene of crime office in the uk so know sonething of motorcycle accidents.

It is not even true that the "vast majority" does not wear helmets. Actually the majory do wear helmets. I can post video for a next time.

Then, what you call "any helmet", that is the typical Thai helmet, it's very unlikely to save any life. It would not be admissible anywhere else.

I won't even question your experience at accident scenes but it must be very peculiar, otherwise you would know that there are one hundred horrible ways to die in a motorcycle accident beside the frontal shock to the plastic Thai helmet.

And then again the UK undue comparison, with their very few motocycles. Same as denying the simple reality: people in Thailand dies because they are ride on two weels, as simple as that. That said from an active biker.

Anyway, I'll give up on saying that now, evidently people wants to believe that there is a solution for everything.

Edited by paz

It is not even true that the "vast majority" does not wear helmets. Actually the majory do wear helmets. I can post video for a next time.

Then, what you call "any helmet", that is the typical Thai helmet, it's very unlikely to save any life. It would not be admissible anywhere else.

I won't even question your experience at accident scenes but it must be very peculiar, otherwise you would know that there are one hundred horrible ways to die in a motorcycle accident beside the frontal shock to the plastic Thai helmet.

And then again the UK undue comparison, with their very few motocycles. Same as denying the simple reality: people in Thailand dies because they are ride on two weels, as simple as that. That said from an active biker.

Anyway, I'll give up on saying that now, evidently people wants to believe that there is a solution for everything.

Most motorcyclists in Bangkok where a helmet because the law there is enforced. The problem lies out in the countryside where the vast majority do not wear one and that is where most accidents and deaths occur.

If you want to dispute tge WHO's figure of 40% savings when wearing a helmet take up their findings with them. Here's their link.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs358/en/

Tell you what, if you don't think even a cheap helmet helps hit yourself over the head with a hammer with and without a helmet and report back here the results.

Education, enforcement and respect for the rules of the road will help reduce the carnage on Thai roads.

Earlier this year Bangkok Post carried an article reporting only about 40% of motorcyclists wear a crash helmet. That includes cities where the law is enforced better.

Here's a link that suggests even Thai crash helmets significantly reduce road deaths.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16484033/

My last posting here, I swear!

I whish to the unrealists "law enforcement" supporters, and to the dreaming "Thai helmet apologists", to never see a victim of the typical Thai motorbike accident, altough that would change your opinions.

Not to say that at the very moment one mentions an "hammer helmet" test, all the seriousness goes directly to the bar talk level.

But, we as as Westerners must apply our logic, even if flawed, to everything, don't we.

Edited by paz

She certainly taught me common sense, thats why I always wear a crash helmet on my motorcycle.

What's your take on the link showing helmet use, including Thai helmets, reduces death and brain injuries by 75%?

Sorry as I said already I will leave the last word to you, as you are pursuing it desperately.

In the meantime hang on to statistics, Thai helmets, and heaven forbids if you go by an accident, look the other side.

Friend of mine paid his way out of a lot of trouble last night, knocked a Thai off a motorcycle whilst he was pizzed out of his mind in his Fortuner, the Thai, who was sober, wasn't badly hurt but the bike was scratched up a bit, friend panicked and offered the Thai guy 10000 to finish it quickly before the Police became involved, the Thai guy gladly accepted the payment and that was that, luckily the Thai was wearing a helmet and it wasn't a speed related accident, just a drunken one on my mates part.

The sooner they start stopping cars in Pattaya City instead of just Motorcycles, Pattaya will be safer, too many drunken Farangs and Thais bombing around in 4x4's.

The sooner they start stopping cars in Pattaya City instead of just Motorcycles, Pattaya will be safer, too many drunken Farangs and Thais bombing around in 4x4's.

Problem is when you stop the cars, you stop all of the traffic. The roads are clogged as it is. They could stop them in the sticks, but won't bother, better tea money on the bright side.

If you then consider that most of the motor scooter deaths (I don't class them as motor bikes) were pillion passengers of unlicensed riders or the riders themselves, then licensed motorist deaths were very low and a third of them were drunk!

As long as the police stop and fine riders for not having a license or wearing a helmet and then let them drive off, nothing will improve. The motor scooter should be confiscated and the rider sent away on foot. Any "motorsai" driven by an underage kid should also be impounded then sold to a buyer who can produce a license. The funds would be put towards better policing. Stop laughing! It makes sense. Things must improve and pick up trucks must be banned from carrying people in the back.

I don't agree with that. Many, or most (but I have no reference to backup), motorcycle accidents are caused by collision with a car or truck, and are not survivable even when wearing a full face helmet. Actually after many years of driving in Thailand I come to the conclusion that motorbike driver do care for their life, and drive defensively in 99% of the casese.

Based ont that it would be excessive to further penalize motorbike drivers just because they had no motorbike license or no helmet. It would not change the deathc toll significatevely.

Once again: It is not the lack of licence or helmet that kills, it the fact that the body is tossed around, or is crushed as a consequence of even a minor accident. No enforcement of law can change that.

My point is: If there were no unlicensed motor scooter drivers on the road there would be less accidents as there would be only half the number of two wheeled vehicles.

My friends were hit by one. They were stationary. The driver was a twelve year old girl who was injured as were her two younger siblings. If their parents had respected the law and not allowed an underage and unlicensed child to take the scooter out the children would not have been hurt.

My friends took the three kid's to hospital and paid for Xrays and treatment but were still prosecuted and fined ฿100,000. The judge's reasoning was based on the fact that the kid's father was an out of work Tuk Tuk driver.

My point is: If there were no unlicensed motor scooter drivers on the road there would be less accidents as there would be only half the number of two wheeled vehicles.

My friends were hit by one. They were stationary. The driver was a twelve year old girl who was injured as were her two younger siblings. If their parents had respected the law and not allowed an underage and unlicensed child to take the scooter out the children would not have been hurt.

My friends took the three kid's to hospital and paid for Xrays and treatment but were still prosecuted and fined ฿100,000. The judge's reasoning was based on the fact that the kid's father was an out of work Tuk Tuk driver.

Your friends are foreigners? If yes, that is the true reason for the decison, together that did a very wrong move by paying treatment, against any common sense.

If not, it's unlikely that it has happened as said, because a rich Thai beats a poor Thai in court, 15 times out of 10.

Edited by paz

Your friends are foreigners? If yes, that is the true reason for the decison, together that did a very wrong move by paying treatment, against any common sense.

If not, it's unlikely that it has happened as said, because a rich Thai beats a poor Thai in court, 15 times out of 10.

Yes, they are from South Africa and in my opinion they did the right thing. I wasn't there but I guess the three kids were just bundled into the car and they drove them to hospital. Of course they would then be presented with a bill for the Xrays and treatment, which they had to pay. There were no broken bones, I am told, just a dent in their car door where the girl drove into them while they were stationary. I agree with your last sentence.

Yes, they are from South Africa and in my opinion they did the right thing. I wasn't there but I guess the three kids were just bundled into the car and they drove them to hospital. Of course they would then be presented with a bill for the Xrays and treatment, which they had to pay. There were no broken bones, I am told, just a dent in their car door where the girl drove into them while they were stationary. I agree with your last sentence.

Sadly this backs up the common knowledge about how much wiser is to not assist accident victims in Thailand.

And if one is involved first party, just stay there until police comes, at least negotations about who's at fault can begin immediately.