First of 7 dangerous New Year holidays see 39 killed, 399 injured in road accidents

webfact

First of 7 dangerous New Year holidays see 39 killed, 399 injured in road accidents
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- On the first of "seven dangerous days" for the long New Year holidays saw 39 people killed and 399 others injured in road accidents nationwide, the Road Safety Directing Centre announced Saturday. The first day of the road accident monitoring period began Friday.

Charnchai Suwisutthakul, inspector general of the Transport Ministry, told a press conference that 392 road accidents occurred on Friday, killing 39 and injuring 399 people.

The death toll was seven or 21.88 per cent higher than the same period last year.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-28

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22% higher than last year, my god where did all the money go that was allocated in the drive to prevent. Law enforcement near non existent, too much time collecting money instead of good patrols.

The biggest laugh here is if stopped for no helmet, ticket issued/money paid and ride away again. PROOF that this is not to stop injury/death.

no wonder that accidents are on the increase. Police a money collecting franchise.

• Like 2

All I can say that we're witnessing a road carnage and a wholesale proportion's death numbers

as it's unfolding over the next 6 days, a known tragedy that is expected to happened, a toll that

is being paid year after year, may the almighty have mercy on the one about to fall...

I'm just hoping that maybe thisyear the numbers will be lower than the last...

"The death toll was seven or 21.88 per cent higher than the same period last year."

I see the official 'safety campaign" is working out really well. If February's elections meet with the same success, we won't have to worry about traffic accidents, since all the roads will be blocked by military tanks, thus slowing down traffic. Come to think of it, that might by the only solution for reducing traffic fatalities in Thailand. And you said this administration can't get anything accomplished.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Strange it's 39 and 399. bit like 399bht for a shirt sale, down from 400 bht. figures given are a coincidence ???................these are again died at the scene ??? how many of the 399 injured, that died later will be added to the second days total ???? and so on.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 2

Pretty much just like any other day as posted above. In fact, given the miles travelled, the death toll is LOWER than usual!

Do not forget according to stats the death figures are ONLY those that died at the scene, as reported on TVF many times.

• Like 1

39 people killed on first day of driving safely campaign

12-28-2013-3-20-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thirty-nine people were killed and 399 others were injured in road accidents on Friday December 27 – the first day of the launch of the “Travelling Safely to Reduce Accidents” campaign.

Mr Charnchai Suvisutthakul, chairman of the Centre for the Prevention and Reduction of Road Accidents, said Saturday that there were altogether 392 road accidents on just one single day on Friday, resulting to 39 deaths and 399 injuries compared to last year’s 32 deaths and 321 injuries.

Drunk driving was identified as the cause of 30.36 percent of road accidents followed by 23.47 percent of reckless driving. Motorcycles were involved in most accidents accounting for 81.82 percent of the accidents followed by pick-up trucks with 7.37 percent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/39-people-killed-first-day-driving-safely-campaign/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-28

22% higher than last year, my god where did all the money go that was allocated in the drive to prevent. Law enforcement near non existent, too much time collecting money instead of good patrols.

The biggest laugh here is if stopped for no helmet, ticket issued/money paid and ride away again. PROOF that this is not to stop injury/death.

no wonder that accidents are on the increase. Police a money collecting franchise.

Good to see the ROAD SAFETY CAMPAIGN IS WORKING!

• Like 1

In most other countries, 39 killed in one day would be considered a national disaster and called for a day of national mourning!

In Thailand it is same <deleted>, and life goes on!!

In Sweden the number was 354 in a year!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

After the holidays there will be the usual committees set up, no doubt with huge expense allowances, to discuss what went wrong, but again as usual nothing will happen.

Let the givernment delegate road safety to a team of safety experts with authority to act.. Introduce meaningful penalties to all motorists breakling the law YEAR ROUND. Make young drivers LEARN how to drive and take a proper test...TOO late for the current drivers. They can be fined into action!

And above all punish the police who fail to take action against everyone who breaks the law. Stop the kids on motorbikes, make everyone wear a helmet, and punish severely those motorists who NEVER NEVER move from the outside lane of dual carriageways!

• Like 2

After the holidays there will be the usual committees set up, no doubt with huge expense allowances, to discuss what went wrong, but again as usual nothing will happen.

Let the givernment delegate road safety to a team of safety experts with authority to act.. Introduce meaningful penalties to all motorists breakling the law YEAR ROUND. Make young drivers LEARN how to drive and take a proper test...TOO late for the current drivers. They can be fined into action!

And above all punish the police who fail to take action against everyone who breaks the law. Stop the kids on motorbikes, make everyone wear a helmet, and punish severely those motorists who NEVER NEVER move from the outside lane of dual carriageways!

Better still, make it an INTERNATIONAL team of safety experts...

.... oops, NO!.... that would mean inviting advice from Farangs - and THAT would never do !!

• Like 1

Strange it's 39 and 399. bit like 399bht for a shirt sale, down from 400 bht. figures given are a coincidence ???................these are again died at the scene ??? how many of the 399 injured, that died later will be added to the second days total ???? and so on.

Maybe a lucky number 399... Have to run for buy a lottery ticket wai2.gif

• Like 1

.... oops, NO!.... that would mean inviting advice from Farangs - and THAT would never do !!

Yeah, cos Farangs never drink and drive, never drive dangerous and never have accidents.

Why can't these pesky Thais be more like us? whistling.gif

Nearly every Farang I know who drinks alcohol and rides a motorbike or drives a car in Thailand, does so whilst way over the drink drive limit on a regular basis, and stick to the speed limits, yeah right, of course they do.

In 2010 1.4 Million Americans were arrested for DUI, not all were of Thai descent surely.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/by_the_numbers/drunk_driving/index.html

Many posters on this website are so anti Thai they forget the mess that is their home countries that they chose to leave in order to come to Thailand.blink.png

It is not the spirits that is causing accidents. Holidays are just a big result of what is never done throughout the year. Until the country leaders understand and recognize the problem which is them!

See you got to truly see the problem and they don't! Each day these same people who can actually make a change practice what they preach people will continue to die. Stand out any government office, police station, hospital, school and watch how they drive. Their habits are no different than those who are causing the action. Question any Thai and watch how upset they get because they actually do not see their driving habits are a problem and how do they enforce when they themselves do the same as soon as they are off duty.

The education isn't there and certainly enforcement is just a show and when it is over it is back to the same old stuff, After ten years living here the most basic procedure and execution is lacking majority of the accident are self inflicted lack of patients and courteous to others. For a country that has the motto Mai pen Rai as soon as they are behind the wheel the attitude is " I won't give a inch even if it kills me "

The government and Media should get together instead of each night showing the result of the accident do some live footage as to what is actually causing the accident! Things you see each day. Until the Thai feel they are going to loose their privilege to drive nothing will ever change.because they feel it is a right. A right to kill someone and get away with it.

• Like 1

In most other countries, 39 killed in one day would be considered a national disaster and called for a day of national mourning!

In Thailand it is same <deleted>, and life goes on!!

In Sweden the number was 354 in a year!!coffee1.gif

Sweden has only one car for every 1,000km of road, less likely to have an accident if you never meet another car. The UK is a better example and there their rate is 4.7 per day, so if 34 died in the bus crash that only leaves 5 for the rest of the country and I don't believe that for a moment.

There are too many people out there who haven't had their cars blessed and the spirits have taken their revenge. So, never mind learning to drive, enforcing driving laws, having proper driving laws, fixing pot holes in the road, having cars and trucks tested, fitting tachographs...it is all down to "the spirit in the sky"........"it's where I'm gonna go when I die"

• Like 2

Yeah, cos Farangs never drink and drive, never drive dangerous and never have accidents.

Why can't these pesky Thais be more like us? whistling.gif

Nearly every Farang I know who drinks alcohol and rides a motorbike or drives a car in Thailand, does so whilst way over the drink drive limit on a regular basis, and stick to the speed limits, yeah right, of course they do.

In 2010 1.4 Million Americans were arrested for DUI, not all were of Thai descent surely.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/by_the_numbers/drunk_driving/index.html

Many posters on this website are so anti Thai they forget the mess that is their home countries that they chose to leave in order to come to Thailand.blink.png

I am not anti Thai at all. I live here with my Thai wife and dearly love my immediate Thai family. I just hate the casual indifference to the year round carnage that allows nearly 30 thousand road deaths per year that are almost all entirely preventable.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are not #3 in the world for road deaths by chance.

Be safe everyone, it's going to be a dangerous and bloody next 6 days.

Your not wrong! The furthest I am going to ride is my local 7/11 to stock up on booze and lock myself up in my house (helmet on, just in case one comes flying through my window).

Think about it this way. As you read this there are about 300 people out there somewhere, watching television, eating noodles, talking on the phone, who don't realise that they will be dead by this time next week. A further 3,000 will see their lives changed forever.

• Like 2