Just for fun -- crazy diet fads of the past

Jingthing

I think it doesn't rate at the tapeworm diet level of craziness!

Yes the tapeworm is on a complete different level.

But these operations, bypass or smaller stomach (don't know the English words for it) are in my opinion on the same level or maybe even crazier.

I would say before I let someone cut me open and damage my systems, I would take the tapeworm. On the other hand, I just have in my mind:

You are in the bed, can't sleep and think for that tapeworm inside you, which reminds me a bit of the move "Alien". I think I would drink either myself or the tapeworm to death.....

(or maybe with enough vodka a friendship can develop tapi and me......)

(I am getting almost crazy just by thinking about it)

• Like 1

OK, I don't agree. The results for bariatric surgery for the morbidly obese are actually quite high compared to everything else such people try. So it often works, doesn't usually kill the patient, and is only suitable for more extreme cases. Sounds the opposite of crazy to me. I do think it's crazy for people to do bariatric who are just moderately obese though. Also there are different bariatric procedures, some more radical than others. If I was morbidly obese (so happy I never got that bad) I would definitely go for bariatric if a competent doc rated me an OK risk for it. Not everyone can safely do it.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I don't agree. The results for bariatric surgery for the morbidly obese are actually quite high compared to everything else such people try. So it often works, doesn't usually kill the patient, and is only suitable for more extreme cases. Sounds the opposite of crazy to me. I do think it's crazy for people to do bariatric who are just moderately obese though. Also there are different bariatric procedures, some more radical than others. If I was morbidly obese (so happy I never got that bad) I would definitely go for bariatric if a competent doc rated me an OK risk for it. Not everyone can safely do it.

But it is more extreme than the tapeworm, if you exclude the ugly factor....

Perhaps. Extreme and crazy are not the same thing though. Sometimes extreme things are done for very rational reasons. I think bariatric surgery in specific warranted cases fits that description.

I predict in 10 to 20 years max there are going to be even more effective medical obesity interventions that will be less invasive than bariatric surgery, probably much less invasive. At that time, they will replace bariatric surgery and then it WILL become crazy to do it anymore.

Edited by Jingthing

Well this one is current, I think fits the extreme catagory, or perhaps it's just crazy. A tongue patch which is sewn onto your tongue and makes eating solid foods very painful. Apparently catching on in Brazil. Link here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2335786/The-extreme-weight-loss-method-The-dieters-having-patch-sewn-tongues-make-eating-unbearably-painful.html

article-2335786-1A253781000005DC-702_634

Edited by canman

From cracked.com:

Vomiting (Ancient Rome)

The idea is straightforward enough--to get rid of the food before you have time to digest it and turn it into fat. In the context of the Romans, they seemed to really enjoy eating and thought of it as a way to make room for more. They were type-A, impatient people who had a continent to conquer and couldn't bother with waiting for it to go out the other end.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_15780_the-6-most-insane-crash-diets-all-time.html#ixzz2owB3RIgw

Vote jingthing - he honours his promises. But next year.

some consider it crazy...

reduce carbohydrates to very low, very very low.

Than reduce fat as good as possible

(so just protein and fibers remain).....

Sound crazy, or?

Moderate amount of protein. Quality fats, lots of greens and low glycemic veggies. Weight will fall off of you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1950s diet trend: prayer

Want to drop pounds? Pray for weight loss. The idea may sound nutty to some, but in the 1950s, the Christian dieting industry exploded. After losing 100 pounds, Reverend Charlie Shedd wrote the book “Pray Your Weight Away,” which was published in 1957. The best-seller set the trend for future titles such as “I Prayed Myself Slim” (1960), “Help Lord,” “The Devil Wants Me Fat!” (1978) and “The Weigh Down Diet” (1997), which advised readers not to confuse physical hunger for what was really spiritual hunger. Think this trend has died? Think again. In 2002, Don Colbert, M.D., published What “Would Jesus Eat?” and “The What Would Jesus Eat Cookbook.”

• Like 2

1950s diet trend: prayer

Want to drop pounds? Pray for weight loss. The idea may sound nutty to some, but in the 1950s, the Christian dieting industry exploded. After losing 100 pounds, Reverend Charlie Shedd wrote the book “Pray Your Weight Away,” which was published in 1957. The best-seller set the trend for future titles such as “I Prayed Myself Slim” (1960), “Help Lord,” “The Devil Wants Me Fat!” (1978) and “The Weigh Down Diet” (1997), which advised readers not to confuse physical hunger for what was really spiritual hunger. Think this trend has died? Think again. In 2002, Don Colbert, M.D., published What “Would Jesus Eat?” and “The What Would Jesus Eat Cookbook.”

I guess it would work well for people who believe in it. When hungry and you have something to distract you it will work...no matter if it is praying or playing a computer game.

I once stopped smoking by playing computer games....

I am now developing a new concept myself ... The Pattaya Baht Bus Diet ... public transport so bad that you end up WALKING everywhere.

That is not new....it is the same as the Bangkok Taxi diet.....

Taxi 1-4 want 500 Baht for around the corner

Taxi 5-7 mai pai, most probably because the time for give the taxi back

Taxi 7-10 doesn't stop...maybe same reason as above

Taxi 11 has no clue about Bangkok

Taxi 12 is too drunk to speak

Meanwhile walking you did already half the way and decide before speaking with one more of them you better walk it finish.....

HEY i FOUND THIS ONE ... Now I know why I wasnt fat in the 60's and 70's

Glass’ e-book “The Marijuana Diet” went up on Amazon this week and prescribes lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, sprouts and nuts along with occasional fasting and superfood smoothies. It further recommends modest amounts of high-quality pastured and grass-fed animal protein, and the elimination of processed foods, white sugar and flour.

“Losing weight is one of the most challenging things there is,” Glass said on the Morning Shift Wednesday. “Marijuana helps you get in touch with yourself and let go of the crap you don’t need and when you let go of that psychological crap, you will let go of your weight

Really every time I had some I got the munchies really bad ...

Here's a funny one.

The ONLY pizza diet.

OK, not really a diet, but definitely crazy.

And this guy, somewhat surprisingly, is trim:

VICE: It's been said that you're the king of pizza. How did you get that reputation?
Dan Janssen: I've been eating pizza exclusively every day of my life for the past 25 years, and I'm not just talking about a slice of pizza every day. I usually eat an entire 14" pizza, and I only eat cheese pizza. I never get sick of it. If I go to one pizza shop or another brand, it's like eating a completely different meal.

http://www.vice.com/read/this-man-has-survived-on-pizza-alone-for-25-years