Stuck on Koh Chang with a broken crank pulley

Tubby

the crank pulley on my 94 Honda civic has sheared off. The resort we are staying on of course new someone that would help. He came down with his truck and compressor and attempted to remove the bolt that connects the pulley to the inside of the crankshaft, in doing so the bolt broke so only half came out. Now I know this kind of job is a ball ache because now not only do I have to find a new crank pulley and bolt, but also have someone drill out the old bolt. So the mechanic said he would sort it out the next day and give me a price for work and parts.

Two days later he turns up saying there are no parts on Ko Chang and he would need to get them from Rayong, ok fair enough. Then he quoted me Bt8500.

A little shocked, im looking for any advice or know costs of a pully and bolt for a honda civic lx 1994. Just seems a lot of money, even if the bolt needs drilling out.

Anyone know of a trustworthy mechanic on Koh Chang?, and second question is how much should a crank pulley cost? Honda parts are supposed to be cheap here in LOS, which why I bought a Honda.

hanks

Don't understand how a crank pulley bolt can shear. It is a big bolt that would take a lot of pressure to shear. Perhaps the guy was going clockwise instead of anti-clockwise with a long lever. whistling.gif .

...you are probably right....again wink.pngbiggrin.png

Since it is a 19 year old car I'd be looking to have it welded back on. Should be a cheap and effective solution. Ensure the battery is disconnected and also the positive cable to the alternator to protect the regulator.

Good luck with it.