Building A House On Farmland-kampaengpetch

Hi

Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about building houses at all but maybe someone can offer some thoughts...

My GF's parents own a farm in Kampaengpetch. Her prents have set aside some land (aprox 3-4 acres) that my GF can use to build on as and when the time comes.

Her parents house sits adjacent to this land... thery have one of those traditional wooden build houses thats raised above the ground. Very, very basic with only one tap with running water going to the outside toilet.

I was wondering if anyone had advice/ thoughts on how much it would cost to build a small house on my GF's land.. nothing too flash but obviously it would be flash compared to her parents house. I'm thinking 3 bedroomed, elictricity to all rooms, kitchen, lounge, fully kitted bathroom etc.. is it worth it or would it be far easier/ cheaper to build in an area of kampaengpetch that is a lot more developed...

Sorry if I my question is a bit rediculous but as I say I really don't have a clue about these things..

Cheers

Taz...

Hi

Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about building houses at all but maybe someone can offer some thoughts...

My GF's parents own a farm in Kampaengpetch. Her prents have set aside some land (aprox 3-4 acres) that my GF can use to build on as and when the time comes.

Her parents house sits adjacent to this land... thery have one of those traditional wooden build houses thats raised above the ground. Very, very basic with only one tap with running water going to the outside toilet.

I was wondering if anyone had advice/ thoughts on how much it would cost to build a small house on my GF's land.. nothing too flash but obviously it would be flash compared to her parents house. I'm thinking 3 bedroomed, elictricity to all rooms, kitchen, lounge, fully kitted bathroom etc.. is it worth it or would it be far easier/ cheaper to build in an area of kampaengpetch that is a lot more developed...

Sorry if I my question is a bit rediculous but as I say I really don't have a clue about these things..

Cheers

Taz...

Depends on a number of factors! I presume there is a mains water supply and electricity nearby. As the parents house is raised, is there a drainage problem on the land, does it need fill?

If the land is perfect for development, building should cost in region of 1 million baht for your specs.

Importantly are you happy with building the thai way i.e. not worrying it may be illegal to build on the farmland. Check out what land title it has first, and if what was probably Por Bor Tor, has been upgraded.

Start by asking yourself what you want from our life in Thailand, what kind of social life, what kind of circle of friends, do you like to live away from people or do you like to be surounded, is this girlfriend the girl for you who you plan to stay with.

Do you want to live right next door to your g/f's parents in the middle of nowhere? and have you considered what that means in terms of the life style you will live?

Then think about what kind of home and where it needs to be to meet these criteria.

If the answer comes up rural Kampangphet, then ask yourself what if things go wrong between the two of you, can you stand to loose the investment in this house?

My advice would be unless you've given these things a great deal of thought, then do not even think of building a house on any land owned by someone else.

There is absolutely no need to build on someone elses' land, so why take the risk?

Start by asking yourself what you want from our life in Thailand, what kind of social life, what kind of circle of friends, do you like to live away from people or do you like to be surounded, is this girlfriend the girl for you who you plan to stay with.

Do you want to live right next door to your g/f's parents in the middle of nowhere? and have you considered what that means in terms of the life style you will live?

Then think about what kind of home and where it needs to be to meet these criteria.

If the answer comes up rural Kampangphet, then ask yourself what if things go wrong between the two of you, can you stand to loose the investment in this house?

My advice would be unless you've given these things a great deal of thought, then do not even think of building a house on any land owned by someone else.

There is absolutely no need to build on someone elses' land, so why take the risk?

i absolutely agree with guest house unless you are 100% sure that this his the girl for you (i hope she his)and you are sure you can live in the family compound ,if the land is far from the nearest town/city you will find it very hard to sell if you want to sell in the future,

being next to the inlaws i think is a big negative i am not saying in all cases it does not work but many times over the years people have told me it as been one of the main causes of breakups.

just take one step back and weigh up all your options or you could finish up joining the many many falang members of the thai zip goes a million club .

i dont like being morbid ,i hope everything goes well for you but just be very careful

Hi

Actually to me it is not ridiculous as I live in a 3 bed house near Klong Lan Pattana which is in Changwat Khampaeng Phet.

Where do her parents actually live, the Moo Baan or Tambon.

We live about 60 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet and I may be able to help a little but I am actually working in Bangladesh for the next 6 months.

We live 6 km outside the main village and mains water is available for about 9 months of the year and electricity for 99% of the time. My wife has a farm where we live and a bit more land further up the road which is planted mainly with man or tapioca.

I love it up there and though my friend is building a houe next plot but one his is mainly living in Denmark and my next nearest farang neighbour that I know of is about 15 km away in the next village.

Living far out in the sticks is definitely not for everyone and you really need to be able to speak Thai fairly well which I cannot. That said the local people are really nice and friendly and I think it is a wonderful place to live.

If you want to PM me please do so.

Cheers

Taz...

Guys

Many thnks for the replies.

Some of you have asked questions about the land etc to which I don't have tyhe answers. To be honest its just early thoughts and its probably a couple of years before I'll be in a position to start looking at building or buying in Thailand but I wanted to get some views on what I should consider beforehand so thanks for thise.

Regarding questions about my relationship etc then I'm 100% sure about this girl.. well I'm 90% sure I'm 100% (heh heh!) but if you're not prepared to take a chance you could lose out on something beautiful couldn't you and I aint getting any younger!

I've spent a little bit of time out at her parents place but admittedly its only been holidays which I appreciate will be a lot different to living there.

At then end of the day I can afford to lose a million baht so what the hel_l.. if it goes sour then I've had some fun and I will have learned from it and it goes well then I'm a very, very happy guy!

heers

Taz....

Guys

Regarding questions about my relationship etc then I'm 100% sure about this girl.. well I'm 90% sure I'm 100% (heh heh!) but if you're not prepared to take a chance you could lose out on something beautiful couldn't you and I aint getting any younger!

I've spent a little bit of time out at her parents place but admittedly its only been holidays which I appreciate will be a lot different to living there.

rent

save the romantic thoughts for the bar