PDRC to shut down Bangkok by end of next week

Lite Beer

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several posts removed. Flaming other members against forum rules, keep it up & suspensions will be issued.

Is that due to "QuiteIntelligent" and his friends "reporting" mine?

QuiteIntelligent seems very au fait with the forum (considering he only has around 20 posts) don't you think?

Anyone who disagrees with his stance gets "reported".

Lead, don't be led, would be my advice.

• Like 1

When the government does not listen, what can any one do. It is a desprate attempt, but these are desperate times. The government has not been forth coming with any information about the rice scheme. It is an option for them to provide it or not. Seems like that YS thinks that if the majority don't care about the abuse of power with the rice scheme, then it must not be important. Wrong....in a democracy everyones voice is as important as many. An election is a process which majority of the people believe that the elected offcial is best to lead and unite the country in the best interest of all its citizens. It does not mean that the leader will only care or put a major budget towards the majority. They must balance for the greater good of the nation. No one had any gripes or protest when she won. But the things that she has done with the Rice scheme, 1st car scheme, tablet for every child, illegal admendment to the constitution, passage of the amnesty bill...all of this happen under her leadership. She has not taken any accountability for anything. Always passing on the buck. Citizens have the rights to demand an answer. But no answer. Even the rice scheme, the first year they couldn't produce any information. For the benefit of the doubt, let's assume that it is complicated and take time to gather information. Doesn't that mean that it is being mismanaged. In that case, let temporarily stop the program. As everyone know, the farmer got angry. So they continue. Because it was ill concieved and would loose support of the North and reveal the truth that it was used to buy votes at the expense of the taxpayers. Yes I said it. Vote buying. Things like this that is causing Thailand to go in to financial dire. Project like this is one of the reforms that must happen. So parties can not promise impossible projects. All project must have fisical discipline. All the project is just spend and spend without any regard for balancing the budget. And then the 2 Trillon with as much transparency as the Rice Scheme that has passed. That was the last draw. The govt that can't even manage the rice scheme is quality to manage a 2Trillion budget. I think not. I can talk about the massive rice scheme corruption going. But that is not for this thread. Thai democracy is still evolving. This is part of it of its evolution. Remember, YS may have come by a legitmate way of the election through the democractic way. But her action is far from the democratic way, which makes her illegitament. One can not choose which gear of democracy to turn they all must turn in order for it to run.

And can you name one western democracy that doesn't indulge in 'vote buying' by political parties, beggaring the public finances with promises of largesse? I can't. It's standard procedure in UK, and that's why borrowing is out of control there.

If the Thai people don't like what Yingluk's government have done, then they can vote her out, same as they do everywhere else that runs with a parliamentary democracy. What Suthip is doing is born of petulance because he can't have it all his own way. Well tough shit. That's how democracy works. You want power, then go to the people with policies that will make them want to vote for you. That's how democracy is done. What Suthip is trying to achieve is mob rule and is totally illegitimate.

When elected governments run amok (as the puppet YS government very clearly has) most western democracies have a system in place to dissolve the government and replace it with a caretaker government while things get sorted. This "release valve" is normally the monarch or a president. There are plenty of examples where this has happened in "The West" and I won't bore you with a list.

What is happening here is a revolt to bring down a democratically elected, extremely corrupt and incompetent puppet government before it is too late - because the "release valve" is currently inoperable at the moment. YS's government are incompetent to the extreme and very soon the country will be in some considerable financial pain because of it, not to mention the very real pain that the farmers who are yet to be paid for their pledged rice are experiencing right now. There are just too many bad acts instigated on YS's watch, and her puppet government deserved to fall.

I am not a big fan of Suthep, but at least he was able to muster enough support to put enough pressure on YS to call an election. It remains to be seen how the chips will fall.

PS: "Vote buying" is the act of paying cash for votes. A PTP speciality, because they are really, really well funded by their "I want to be the King" leader.

Wooing voters buy allocating spending to specific regions is something practiced in all democracies and is not a problem because it happens in the open and is indistinguishable from any other governmental allocation.

• Like 1

From the OP headline:

"People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban declared Saturday night that the entire capital Bangkok will be completely shut down..."

Good...

It's been a slow train coming and I think Khun Suthep is choosing to ignore the fact that his "Democracy Party" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif supporters may well end up being outnumbered at least two-to-one by the voters who (democratically) elected the current government (not forgetting that the world's media will also be upon Mr S's proposed Thai transition from democracy to autocracy).

This isn't the 1930's. People can see and report and if Abhisit (despite his expensive education) remains stupid enough to think the rest of the world will tolerate the birth of yet another North Korea, he is sadly mistaken.

About time Abhisit grew some and had Suthep handed over to the justice he so richly deserves.

A padded cell awaits him, I imagine.

The sooner Mr Suthep gets the ball rolling, the better.

Pray tell, why is it suddenly Abhisit's responsibility to "hand Suthep over to justice"?

Is Abhisit a member of the police force?

Is Abhisit Suthep's legal guardian?

Stupid post. Try again

Personally speaking, I've never been much of a one for politics - here, or back home, and I think it would be fair to say that I am politically uneducated. However, I've been trying to follow this situation on here and - correct me if I'm wrong - from what I read, basically there's no one party any better than the other. They're all just self serving megalomaniacs? Is there an actual workable solution for Thailand? I mean, are there ANY politicians here who are actually worth voting for?

Personally speaking, I've never been much of a one for politics - here, or back home, and I think it would be fair to say that I am politically uneducated. However, I've been trying to follow this situation on here and - correct me if I'm wrong - from what I read, basically there's no one party any better than the other. They're all just self serving megalomaniacs? Is there an actual workable solution for Thailand? I mean, are there ANY politicians here who are actually worth voting for?

Individually, almost certainly. But once they form a "gang" and achieve power, the lowest common denominator is the force.

From the OP headline:

"People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban declared Saturday night that the entire capital Bangkok will be completely shut down..."

Good...

It's been a slow train coming and I think Khun Suthep is choosing to ignore the fact that his "Democracy Party" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif supporters may well end up being outnumbered at least two-to-one by the voters who (democratically) elected the current government (not forgetting that the world's media will also be upon Mr S's proposed Thai transition from democracy to autocracy).

This isn't the 1930's. People can see and report and if Abhisit (despite his expensive education) remains stupid enough to think the rest of the world will tolerate the birth of yet another North Korea, he is sadly mistaken.

About time Abhisit grew some and had Suthep handed over to the justice he so richly deserves.

Pray tell, why is it suddenly Abhisit's responsibility to "hand Suthep over to justice"?

Stupid post. Try again

Is Abhisit the head of the "Democracy Party" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif for which Suthep claims to be the leader spokesman?

Not so "stupid", after all, is it?

From the OP headline:

Good...

Stupid post. Try again

Is Abhisit the head of the "Democracy Party" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif for which Suthep claims to be the leader spokesman?

hmmm Suthep left the democracy party before getting his mob started, ergo he cannot be be a spokesman for the Dems and Abhisit is not responsible for what Suthep does or says.... any similar rhetoric or goals are purely coincidental, they just happen to be marching on the same day and using the same platform .. whistling.gif

From the OP headline:

Good...

Stupid post. Try again

Yes it is, galactically so in fact, and your followup equally lacks a clear understanding of the meaning of your original post.

Hint: If you don't understand big words, try not to use them. You will appear less foolish.

Membership or otherwise of a political party has naught to do with justice or the exercising of it, nor should it. Abhisit has no more obligation or right to "hand Suthep over to justice" than you or I.

So, 2 stupid posts in a row. Want to try for 3?

From the OP headline:

Good...

Stupid post. Try again

hmmm Suthep left the democracy party before getting his mob started, ergo he cannot be be a spokesman for the Dems and Abhisit is not responsible for what Suthep does or says.... any similar rhetoric or goals are purely coincidental, they just happen to be marching on the same day and using the same platform .. whistling.gif

That's (coincidentally) nice for them.

Maybe they can share packed lunches, too.

From the OP headline:

Good...

Stupid post. Try again

Yes it is, galactically so in fact, and your followup equally lacks a clear understanding of the meaning of your original post.

Hint: If you don't understand big words, try not to use them. You will appear less foolish.

Membership or otherwise of a political party has naught to do with justice or the exercising of it, nor should it. Abhisit has no more obligation or right to "hand Suthep over to justice" than you or I.

Just because you say they are "stupid" is no reason in itself to consider that they are.

I stand by them.

Each of them.

I hope others can see through your cowardly attempt to lessen their worth.

Are you off your rocker?

You say that the UK and the rest of the western democracies buy votes, and that is why there is massive borrowing there? That is the most bizarre political statement I have ever heard in my entire life

It's called the welfare system and the public sector pension system......duh! Nice use of irony in the username. I'd change that if I was you.

Stupid post. Try again

Just because you say they are "stupid" is no reason in itself to consider that they are.

I stand by them.

Each of them.

I hope others can see through your cowardly attempt to lessen their worth.

"We've got a winner"!

I quite reasonably equate illogical, uninformed and illiterate as stupid, I will let you choose your own epithet from that very short list.

You have singularly failed to grasp why your original post was "stupid", despite it having been shown to you. Native English speakers are unlikely to consider my subsequent posts as a "cowardly attempt to lessen their worth".

Individually, almost certainly. But once they form a "gang" and achieve power, the lowest common denominator is the force.

Hmmm yep, thats pretty much the way I see it too. There's not a lot of hope for them then, is there..?

Where is the prime minister? What does she have to say in response to this latest plan by the protesters? Why isn't she in Bangkok overseeing the crisis?

Because anybody with some brain is out of Bkk ,, she would be stupid to be there overseeing the crisis, she needs to govern and take care the ongoing business .

And tell us, why would she need to be there ?

Dear DrDweeb,

Most readers (me included) haven't the faintest idea what you are getting so animated about.

I've tried to keep the words short (lest you think I don't understand them).

I count it an overall win for me and a win for the world ( a lose for you, though, I'm afraid).

Keep digging though, by all means.

You don't need to know anything about Thai politics to understand Suthep is completely off his rocker.....I know many victims suffering from years of Lao Khao abuse that make more sense than him. Even worse are the moronic sheep that hang on to every word...... Amazed in Thailand 555

Midfield General, on 29 Dec 2013 - 18:15, said:snapback.png

Does Suthep have any plans for helping the poor of Thailand?. Does he have any policies for proving health care and financial aid to the people of Issan?

The people of Issan dont need re-education. They just need support of a government that cares about them.

Yes he has.

He is all out to stop corruption which will mean that 30 to 50% will not be drained off into someones pocket but will go to the projects it is supposed to be spent on.

Unfortunately the people have voted for a Government that made promises that are unsustainable, the rice scheme which the farmers are now not getting paid for, a scheme that has lost the country hundreds of billions, its top place as the worlds rice exporter and destroyed confidence in the quality of Thai rice.

The rice farmers were better of under the Dems as they were paid a subsidy directly, cutting out the middle man and reducing the chance of corruption.

The Tablets which have in most cases not been delivered and which has sucked billions out of the education budget.

Reintroduce the 30b health care scheme which the Dems in their stint in power made free, because it was costing more to implement than it was bringing in and no doubt still is costing more thereby sucking more out of the health budget.

You are right the people, and not just those of Issan, need a government that cares about them, not one that cares only for themselves.

They do not need a Government that is planning to burden them and their offspring with trillions of debt that will take at least 50 years to pay off , debt that will all be borrowed off budget so there will be no way of accounting for just how it is spent or squandered.

Consider for a moment how far the billions lost on the rice scheme alone could have gone to improving schools, hospitals, roads and general infrastructure to improve peoples lives.

I have to add that the public schools were free under the dems. This year not and a free education is the best way to help the poor as far as I am concerned.

The Dems main mistake was not using public funds to advertise the ways they were helping the poor people while they were in office.

No pain, no gain. I hope the PDRC have worked out how to implement a strategy for exit counseling for a couple of million people from the cult of Shinawat. As with any cult following, rebuilding the followers self esteem and life can be difficult and traumatic after coming to terms with having been used by the cult leader for his own personal benefit only. I have to admit some surprise that Thaksin has been so successful in building such a cult following, he can't levitate like Shoko Asahara, can't write pop songs like Charlie Manson and doesn't have the good looks of Jimmy Jones. Either way, I wish PDRC luck trying to deprogram and re-educate the Isaanites.

Thailands future rests in your hands Khun Suthep. Fight the good fight, uniting the country will earn you reverence in the Thai history books.

Tad over the top and unbalanced.

The Army is likely to pragmatically hang back until one party clearly gets the upper hand. It has its own serious problems with "watermelon soldiers" and fractious splits with formally preeminent Battalions vying to jockey with recent "usurper" Battalions. The April the 10th 2010 Dinso Road grenade attack that killed Colonel Kriengsak Nanda-P is widely reported as Army on Army wrangling. Sadly, Suthep will keep going as the Army doesn't yet know the likely winners, is fearful of internal splits becoming ruptures, and knows there will be a serious backlash of yet another coup. Expect Bkk to be held hostage to such protests for the foreseeable future as the wrangling enters deadlock.

You obviously don't understand the underlying dynamics here. The Army is holding back because they are already in the pockets of the people backing the current demonstrations. They won't move against these people -- ever. The generals are beholden to the people behind the leaders of this "people's revolution."

They haven't staged a coup because of the scorn that would once again be poured on the country as well as the damage it would to in terms of investors.

When the government does not listen, what can any one do. It is a desprate attempt, but these are desperate times. The government has not been forth coming with any information about the rice scheme. It is an option for them to provide it or not. Seems like that YS thinks that if the majority don't care about the abuse of power with the rice scheme, then it must not be important. Wrong....in a democracy everyones voice is as important as many. An election is a process which majority of the people believe that the elected offcial is best to lead and unite the country in the best interest of all its citizens. It does not mean that the leader will only care or put a major budget towards the majority. They must balance for the greater good of the nation. No one had any gripes or protest when she won. But the things that she has done with the Rice scheme, 1st car scheme, tablet for every child, illegal admendment to the constitution, passage of the amnesty bill...all of this happen under her leadership. She has not taken any accountability for anything. Always passing on the buck. Citizens have the rights to demand an answer. But no answer. Even the rice scheme, the first year they couldn't produce any information. For the benefit of the doubt, let's assume that it is complicated and take time to gather information. Doesn't that mean that it is being mismanaged. In that case, let temporarily stop the program. As everyone know, the farmer got angry. So they continue. Because it was ill concieved and would loose support of the North and reveal the truth that it was used to buy votes at the expense of the taxpayers. Yes I said it. Vote buying. Things like this that is causing Thailand to go in to financial dire. Project like this is one of the reforms that must happen. So parties can not promise impossible projects. All project must have fisical discipline. All the project is just spend and spend without any regard for balancing the budget. And then the 2 Trillon with as much transparency as the Rice Scheme that has passed. That was the last draw. The govt that can't even manage the rice scheme is quality to manage a 2Trillion budget. I think not. I can talk about the massive rice scheme corruption going. But that is not for this thread. Thai democracy is still evolving. This is part of it of its evolution. Remember, YS may have come by a legitmate way of the election through the democractic way. But her action is far from the democratic way, which makes her illegitament. One can not choose which gear of democracy to turn they all must turn in order for it to run.

And can you name one western democracy that doesn't indulge in 'vote buying' by political parties, beggaring the public finances with promises of largesse? I can't. It's standard procedure in UK, and that's why borrowing is out of control there.

If the Thai people don't like what Yingluk's government have done, then they can vote her out, same as they do everywhere else that runs with a parliamentary democracy. What Suthip is doing is born of petulance because he can't have it all his own way. Well tough shit. That's how democracy works. You want power, then go to the people with policies that will make them want to vote for you. That's how democracy is done. What Suthip is trying to achieve is mob rule and is totally illegitimate.

Are you off your rocker?

You say that the UK and the rest of the western democracies buy votes, and that is why there is massive borrowing there? That is the most bizarre political statement I have ever heard in my entire life.

If any campaigning political party in the UK offered money for votes, they would be slammed up in prison for election tampering, and the party banned for life. When political parties campaign for an election, their campaign manifesto is scrutinized in depth and picked apart by the media, other parties and the well politically educated public and also top political analysts.

Any lunatic populist policies will be exposed immediately and the party MPs responsible dragged onto national TV to be annihilated. Let alone have hundreds of media camped out on the doorstep of the party leader and his house.

The UK are not as gullible to fall for stupid populist policies. They demand to know about policies like, health, education, defense etc. Stop trying to portray the UK and the oldest and probably the most stable democracy in the world as some sort of thing you can compare with the joke that is Thai democracy.

I doubt you know the first thing about politics. You are a joke.

Completely agree with every word of this - the UK has the finest democracy in the world (and, as you pointed out. everything is scrutinised to ensure our elections are fair and proper). Any populist policies in a party's mandate must be fully costed and blatant ones designed to garner votes would be spotted a mile off and revealed as such!! There is nothing wrong with having populist policies if they do good are affordable and the people are in favour of them. British voters are the most savvy around and won't be fooled.

The rice scam is the kind of policy that would have been dreamt up by 'The Monster Raving Loonatic Party' as being their flagship policy!!

He going to try to hold Bangkok hostage and the police, courts and military do not have the balls to do anything about it.

And I understand there are 2 active arrest warrants against him.

So what! This is Thailand, business as usual, warrants or not.coffee1.gif