Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has happened to their so called clampdowns and the government promises to prosecute those burning off over the the last "FIVE YEARS" Nothing has changed it is only getting worse.

Nothing will change and it is all bullshite, people will burn and sufficate (murder) people every year. It is murder when they light fires every years suffocating the eldely.

Just read a report that there have been 60,000 admitted to hospitals so far this year for respiratory and similar ailments and attributed to this issue in 8 northern provinces.

//edit - found it. And that was on the 19th and the pollution index has jumped since then.

CHIANG MAI, 19 March 2014 (NNT) – The haze situation in Chiang Mai remains critical, with more than 16,000 people having been admitted to hospital because of the pollution.

The sky over Chiang Mai city remains blanketed by smoke from forest fires, which have persisted over the area for more than a week. Most of the people going about outdoors were reportedly wearing face masks to protect themselves from the pollution. Visibility remains severely hampered.

Of the more than 16,000 patients admitted to hospital so far, 8,078 had heart or arteries conditions. 6,028 were diagnosed with respiratory problems, 1,352 had eye inflammation and 1,392 persons had skin conditions.

In the meantime, as many as 60,000 people have fallen ill in 8 other provinces in the North. Public Health officials are preparing to hand out 500,000 face masks to people afflicted by the haze. Locals are also advised to avoid exercising outdoors during the current period of high air particulate matter reading.

NNT

What has happened to their so called clampdowns and the government promises to prosecute those burning off over the the last "FIVE YEARS" Nothing has changed it is only getting worse.

Nothing will change and it is all bullshite, people will burn and sufficate (murder) people every year. It is murder when they light fires every years suffocating the eldely.

Just read a report that there have been 60,000 admitted to hospitals so far this year for respiratory and similar ailments and attributed to this issue in 8 northern provinces.

//edit - found it.

CHIANG MAI, 19 March 2014 (NNT) – The haze situation in Chiang Mai remains critical, with more than 16,000 people having been admitted to hospital because of the pollution.

The sky over Chiang Mai city remains blanketed by smoke from forest fires, which have persisted over the area for more than a week. Most of the people going about outdoors were reportedly wearing face masks to protect themselves from the pollution. Visibility remains severely hampered.

Of the more than 16,000 patients admitted to hospital so far, 8,078 had heart or arteries conditions. 6,028 were diagnosed with respiratory problems, 1,352 had eye inflammation and 1,392 persons had skin conditions.

In the meantime, as many as 60,000 people have fallen ill in 8 other provinces in the North. Public Health officials are preparing to hand out 500,000 face masks to people afflicted by the haze. Locals are also advised to avoid exercising outdoors during the current period of high air particulate matter reading.

NNT

I have had to stay inside constantly with my filters and on two occasions have needed to get a housecall to get a steroid injection to help with my COPD as my normal meds are not enough. It may be helpful to point out for those in Chiangrai that Sriburin Hospital has started a home care service which may be useful to some members as it lets them get health care in the home if possible and is probably easier and cheater than having to stay there..If anyone needs info pm ME.

It'll be back as soon as the rain stops and the ground dries out sufficiently that farmers can burn some more, unless the rain gets serious and encroaches into planting/growing season..

heard some thunder but raining in sansei at 11.15 p.m

I have a friend travelling to Chiang Mai in mid-April (during Songkhran!!!) with her young son.... She planned this trip without consulting me, or else I would have warned her not to set foot in Thailand in April at all. Anyway, my question is: will they have to put up with the pollution as well? (aside from the heat and Songkhran craziness) I remember reading once that the wind changes sometime at the beginning of April and drives the haze away.... is this correct?

Thank you.

Posted this in the rain topic but useful here to see how many forest fires have been reported.

Chiang Mai haze worst level for year; Lampang sees 40 degrees Celsius

CHIANG MAI, 20 March 2014 (NNT) – The haze situation in Chiang Mai has deteriorated to the worst level this year on Wednesday, while the temperature in Lampang has reached 40 degrees Celsius.

The airborne particulate matter reading in Chiang Mai has remained above the acceptable level for more than a week, and Wednesday's reading rose to 182 micrograms per cubic meter – the highest level recorded so far this year. People in the province are reported to be suffering from agitated eyes and nose.

Chiang Mai provincial governor Wichien Phutthiwinyu has asked the Air Force to dispatch aircraft to release water into the air. The governor has also asked the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation to plan cloud seeding operations to alleviate the haze situation.

So far this year, 669 forest fires have burned through 6,212 rai of land in Chiang Mai; most of the burnt areas were within national forest preserves.

On the same day, Lampang province experienced a high temperature of 40 degrees Celsius in Thoen district.

The weather bureau has the heat will be more intense this year than previously, and the public should brace themselves for rain storms, gusts, and hail storms during March 20-24.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT March 20, 2014 footer_n.gif

What a hoot. The genius of a governor is going to have the Air Force release water into the air and do some cloud seeding instead of enforcing the law and arresting those who are poisoning the air. Truly remarkable the way they think and the s**t they come up with.

The ones I really feel sorry for are the poor unsuspecting tourists who aren't forewarned about this and think they are coming to an idyllic tourist destination only to find deadly pollution levels when they arrive. It is readily apparent the locals have no compassion for others and should be ashamed for both their actions and inactions. And I'm not just talking about what's going on with all the burning as I think a number of you will know what I'm talking about.

I have a friend travelling to Chiang Mai in mid-April (during Songkhran!!!) with her young son.... She planned this trip without consulting me, or else I would have warned her not to set foot in Thailand in April at all. Anyway, my question is: will they have to put up with the pollution as well? (aside from the heat and Songkhran craziness) I remember reading once that the wind changes sometime at the beginning of April and drives the haze away.... is this correct?

Thank you.

I wouldn't be worried about it in mid April. It always rains at songkran and there will have been some thunder storms before songkran too. The air will be a lot cleaner. It will be blazing hot though. 40 on a hot day.

"So far this year, 669 forest fires have burned through 6,212 rai of land in Chiang Mai; most of the burnt areas were within national forest preserves"

Was curious how much area that is and it is nearly 10 million square meters.

"So far this year, 669 forest fires have burned through 6,212 rai of land in Chiang Mai; most of the burnt areas were within national forest preserves"

How many cubic metres of timber came out first?

Here is what our Filtrete material in the AC looks like after running it for the last five days. I had some extra material so decided to replace it, and you can see what the new material looks like next to the used.

I estimate that we ran our AC a total of under 100 hours in either fan mode or cool mode in the last week since the material was new. Saw photos like this posted before but am surprised how fast they load up.

13342486504_6a31548de5_z.jpg

Some questions (which may or may not be easily answered):

Any idea how those numbers relate to previous years?

What percentage of total (Province) land area does that 10 million square metres represent?

Presumably national forest preserves relates to land on the western border with Myanmar?

Meanwhile, yesterday's change in weather had a nice effect. (Even though it didn't rain in most places)

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

It'll probably creep back up in the coming days, but it's still nice to have a dip.

It's amazing the difference in one day. Yesterday (Sat, 22 Mar), horrible. Today (Sun, 23 Mar), very pleasant. Anyways, we could still use one heavy rainstorm to clean things out....for awhile anyways.

We are in Pai, these pictures do not show how bad it is. Last night the fires came up and over the nearest hill, still burning now. At least the breeze is blowing the smoke away from us. We have small resort and people are leaving early or cancel stay. Came to Pai for clean air and views.... they get neither.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Much like Newbie my wife and I are planning to come to Chiang Mai right after Songkran (April 16th). I was told that it might be smoggy but not too bad after Songkran, is this, historically speaking, correct? For those of you who have lived there for awhile does it indeed get better after the Holiday? Or is it just "when it rains, if it rains, then it';s not too bad"?

I have already booked tickets to and from there (2 weeks later), as we planned to meet family there. It's very expensive to change tickets for everyone at this point,so any info would be greaty appreciated.

ps -

is there anywhere to get good craft beer in CM?

The norm is that it does get significantly better after Songkran and usually it will rain very near Songkran.

Craft beers, there is a CM sponsor on TV for does them. Not sure of specific locations where they are delivered.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651359-the-bottle-shop-for-beers/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644178-craft-beer-has-landed-in-chiang-mai/

Ahh, thank you!!! Sorry for the late reply, did not see it till now.

Really dramatic drop in the PM10 count. Today, March 23 at 11:00AM PM10 34

attachicon.gifaqmthai.jpg

Yeah, I noticed today I could see Doi Suthep from Airport Plaza again. The first time in a couple days. The breeze blowing and temps slightly lower too makes it easier to bear as well.

We are in Pai, these pictures do not show how bad it is. Last night the fires came up and over the nearest hill, still burning now. At least the breeze is blowing the smoke away from us. We have small resort and people are leaving early or cancel stay. Came to Pai for clean air and views.... they get neither.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you are ik and I am sorry you are losing business

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Please see related article, where it is reported by local Thai Tourism Officer (Supoj Klinpraneet) that it is recognised this pollution from small particulate matter costs the local Thai economy millions from lost tourism

This is let alone the health affects like reduced life expectancy, increased risk of being admitted to hospital from respiratory problems, asthma, and increased risk from cancer owing to associated small particulates being carried deep into the lungs.

Accept the measurements taken of PM10, and PM2.5, but demand reductions towards acceptable levels. The money from foreigners, tourists etc. is important to local economy. These losses should be made more politically unacceptable.

With the good air yesterday, headed out for a mountain bike ride on a trail I rode 8 days ago. Once I hit the ridge top and headed south toward HWY-1095, I ended up riding 12 kilometers through continuously burned forest. No wonder our air was so bad this past week! It appeared that the locals had dragged a flaming log or tire along the trail to start the fires in some sections. (You can see the soot on the trail edge where the fire started.) This will never change as there is no enforcement of burning laws. Bad news is that there is plenty of forest trail that is not burned so more burning is likely. This is going on everywhere around Chiang Mai.

post-498-0-80959600-1395616303_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-79678000-1395616350_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-04186300-1395616674_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-10983300-1395616756_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-26740400-1395616780_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts on air/filters / cleaners / humidifiers for kids? Our little one gets a pretty bad cough at the best of times ... would a humidifier for her room help? any recommendations?

An ioniser could help, there are many available online of various prices

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"I'm expecting the haze to creep back up over the coming days though"

​Guaranteed as I am heading back to CM at end of week after my month by the sea.

john

Our visibility has been dropping all morning with the smell of smoke in the air and down to less than one km. We have the house closed up again and the filters running. Hopefully we will get some more thunderstorms this afternoon to clear the air.

Archived