Decent Mt Bike for 11 yr old

junglechef

I just picked up a decent 2nd hand mtb for my 12 year old, full sus in good condition with shimano components. I found it online in chiangmai and paid 5k. I changed the tires and brake blocks, and lubed the chain and cables.

You might have similar luck, try the chiangmai used bicycle group on Facebook. Or check out shops on Rattanakosin that sell used Japanese imports, usually in smaller sizes.

New of course is better in many ways, but since I wasn't sure if the biking bug would bite, I wasn't ready to plunk down 20k for a bike that might not get ridden as much as it deserves.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Second hand is always a good idea with a growing child.

However there is one thing that I'd like to mention in hope that you take it into consideration when buying anything new or used. This is that fit is more important than new or used. A life time of bad riding posture can lead to chronic pain, injury, or worse. No matter what you buy, go find a place that has people that will fit your child. This will also enhance the childs safety, and give them a sense of what "fits" properly from an early age. This would (imo) pay more dividends in the child actually enjoying the biking experience of riding.

• Like 1

Good advice but I personally don't know of any shops that know how to correctly fit a bike or at least aren't more interested in selling whatever they happen to have. One shop tried to convince me that a 16" frame was appropriate for him! This is also the advice I give everyone bike shopping, charts are easily found on the internet. Another point is that I bought one of my sons a small bike which fits him fine but the 16" tires just take too much work to rotate at a pace to keep up when his brother rides with 20" and my 26". Took a look a Sports World and not only they misinformed me on the tire size (which is embossed on the side wall) but told me that the frames were "Free Size", one size fits all! I appreciate your good advice pineconehead but would like to add that one should be sure the fits is correct yourself.

11 yo kids come in different sizes, just like bikes! The average one [kid] is likely going to fit a 24in wheeled bike okay. Try before you buy.

With the emphasis on 'decent' I'd go for something which will last the expected usage period plus a buffer. That means a bike which is sound enough to be sold on or handed down.

Your choice then is buy a something good second hand, or shop for something new.

I'd avoid full sus from sports world etc. In fact I'd avoid full sus [unless your buying quality $$$$$ with spares backup] and I'd avoid sports world/Tesco etc. A starting point would be LA bike or your LBS. If you can, go for an alloy frame.

• Like 1

Good advice but I personally don't know of any shops that know how to correctly fit a bike or at least aren't more interested in selling whatever they happen to have. One shop tried to convince me that a 16" frame was appropriate for him! This is also the advice I give everyone bike shopping, charts are easily found on the internet. Another point is that I bought one of my sons a small bike which fits him fine but the 16" tires just take too much work to rotate at a pace to keep up when his brother rides with 20" and my 26". Took a look a Sports World and not only they misinformed me on the tire size (which is embossed on the side wall) but told me that the frames were "Free Size", one size fits all! I appreciate your good advice pineconehead but would like to add that one should be sure the fits is correct yourself.

You could probably do the job yourself with just a little internet research, but hold on while I dig around. There was on this site, in this forum topic posted a link to a Thai Bike sales service site, in the pictures they were goofing around with a height measure fitting tool (you can guess which one).

Got it: https://www.facebook.com/eightridar These guys look like they might know their stuff, I hope they are local to you. You might be better off starting with the internet research about fit first, but for a youth with plenty of growth left, stick to second hand until the kid is serious about getting into it, or needs dependable school/work transport.

PS tyvm for the like.

• Like 1

Thanks but that's BKK and I'm in Chiang Mai. As I'm pleased to see the interest I'll give some more details on my son's requirements. He's 134 cm and growing. I bought him a new full suspension LA bike w/20" wheels and his little brother at 120 cm the same w/16" wheels which was a big mistake as they are so heavy for their little legs and the made-for-adult handle grip gear changers are also take too much strength to use properly (around 3000 bht ea.) The 10 yr. old is riding pretty well and can handle some fairly challenging single track. We rode in this first real Mt Bike race (single track, roots and rocks, steep downhills with a trails course at the end) together recently, him on a borrowed 24" wheel ride which was pretty good for him. As I ride often locally and they are easily convinced to join as well as we often take our bikes on our road trips I don't mind spending a bit on a new one (there is also a third even younger son for hand me downs). The Trek 3700 is an option if I can find the right size (13.5"?) but would rather not spend too much more than 10,000 bht in case his interest heads to other things upon becoming a teenager.