Thaksin Believes Trt Will Rule For 20 Years

george

Which are not Thaksin's words but the headlines of the Nation, not that the nation would ever be biased against him.

It's pretty common knowledge that Suthichai Yoon holds a grudge against Thaksin for nixing his Nation television channel, thus the frequent comparisons of TRT to famous dictatorships. Nevermind that in a real dictatorship, Yoon would have lost his newspaper and life as well.

:o

Speaking of strange occurences in the media, here's an odd event, given that BP was sued by him for millions (or was it billions?) for their airport cracked runway stories among many other sparring events between the two entities:

post-9005-1154493014.jpg

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra joins Bangkok Post senior management in cutting the cake to officially mark the 60th anniversary of the Bangkok Post.

Yoon has more gripes against Thaksin than his TV, why didn't you mention AMLO investigating him for money laundering, Heng? You sure remember that. What was it for? They could have put him away for many many years, never mind losing the newspaper. And not long time ago Suriya started building a large stake in the Nation Group, too.

If not for public outcry Yoon could have lost it all - business, freedom, all of it.

>>>>>>>>>>>

It was actually JK who thought that Thaksin himself chose "rule" over "govern" and pointed at the subtle difference in meaning. There's nothing wrong with The Nation's wording at all.

Yoon has more gripes against Thaksin than his TV, why didn't you mention AMLO investigating him for money laundering, Heng? You sure remember that. What was it for? They could have put him away for many many years, never mind losing the newspaper. And not long time ago Suriya started building a large stake in the Nation Group, too.

If not for public outcry Yoon could have lost it all - business, freedom, all of it.

I wasn't aware he was laundering money or that he was accused of laundering money. Could have but didn't, hardly a dictatorship. Who's Suriya? I'm only aware of the generalities of Yoon's grudge, not the details.

Very good memory, Plus... :o

It's a shame Heng's isn't so complete...

I sometimes think I'm the only one that recalls these things; it's encouraging to know I'm not alone. :D

The incident was indeed horrendously dangerous to Yoon's future and was ruled totally illegal.

Thaksin's Tactics were a harbinger of things to come later, on top of his earlier misdeeds.

Asset probe ruled illegal

Published on Jun 25, 2002

The Administrative Court ruled yesterday that the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) probe into the bank transactions of journalists critical of the Thaksin government was illegal.

The court handed down the historic ruling despite AMLO's conspicuous decision to officially cancel the probe on Friday. The agency had appealed for the case to be dismissed, saying that since the investigation had officially been called off there was no longer any need for a ruling.

AMLO's move, however, failed to stop the court from making public its ruling, which categorically declared that the steps taken by the agency in its attempt to investigate journalists' bank assets were illegal and an infringement of civil rights.

Judge Wisanu Waranyu ruled that the AMLO law did not empower its information director Sihanart Prayoonrat to order banks to hand over the transaction data of the editors and their family members, nor did the law empower AMLO secretary-general Peeraphan Prempooti to assign Sihanart to take such action. "The February 25 order to banks [made by Sihanart] is illegal because the person who issued the order does not have legal power to do so," the judge said.

The court also noted that Sihanart did not report his actions to AMLO's transactions committee, which is empowered to launch investigations into individuals or groups suspected of money laundering.

The court said that apart from failing to abide by the AMLO's established procedures, Sihanart based his "suspicion" about the journalists purely on an anonymous leaflet which vaguely accused them of money laundering.

"Anonymous leaflets must be treated carefully with the fairest of minds because they could be used to smear people. Worse is the possibility that they were produced to justify the abuse of state power. This would be a danger to the rights and liberty of the people," the judge said.

He noted that Sihanart had pursued the investigation despite the fact that a check on the AMLO's own database turned up nothing to back the charges made in the leaflet.

"Grounds for suspicion must come from the 'outside', not from the personal feelings of the enforcers of the law," the judge said.

Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) editor in chief Suthichai Yoon, his son Prabda, NMG editor Thepchai Yong and senior editor Sopon Ongkara filed complaints against the AMLO in April following reports that the agency was investigating their bank transactions. The court subsequently slapped a temporary injunction on the investigation.

However, it was not until last Friday that the AMLO formally instructed banks that the investigation had been cancelled. The move followed an advocacy statement by an Administrative Court judge, who is required to give his opinion on the case under the court's checks-and-balances rule, said that the probe was illegal and must be stopped.

Suthichai said yesterday the court's ruling proved that AMLO's standard for judging initial allegations against individuals or groups was poor.

AMLO had told the court its suspicion against NMG concerned the group's launch of a new Thai newspaper despite making a business "loss".

"This low standard of judgement raises the possibility of AMLO becoming a tool of politicians," Suthichai said. "To me, the whole probe had political influence written all over it."

AMLO had claimed its investigation of countless others were also based on anonymous leaflets. The court's ruling raised questions about those investigations.

The court ruled that while allegations in anonymous leaflets could be used as tips, serious investigation can be launched in accordance with strict procedures, to prevent infringement of civil rights.

"The four complainants' rights were violated the moment the order was given to the banks," judge Wisanu said. "The [AMLO] must be enforced in an unambiguous manner and it was written that only the agency's transaction committee can authorise such a probe. Moreover, the law allows banking investigation in the event that the investigation will facilitate the agency's duty. The law does not allow a blanket investigation against just anybody."

Deputy Prime Minister Korn Dabaransi, who replaced Defence Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh as chairman of the AMLO board after the scandal broke, yesterday admitted that the government's disciplinary investigation against Peeraphan and Sihanart had made little progress.

Korn also said he wondered why AMLO only decided to officially end its probe against the journalists last week.

Meanwhile, a source from a commercial bank, who asked not to be named, said that as of yesterday it had not received any official documents from the AMLO cancelling its earlier request to probe the financial transactions of several executives of media firms.

The Nation

-------------------------------

Thaksin :D

:D

Edited by sriracha john

The word “Rule” I noted only because it does not apply to a democracy. I am not sure if it is a quote or news spin back then, but today is has much more significance. Back then Thaksin’s doings were still below the surface. This was before I came to Thailand, and I was going back in the clippings to just research on the events. This clipping was way back on page 200. I am glad some relevant posts have been added. The word rule would apply to the Finland plan and that is why it caught my eye. It matches the pattern seen today 30 months later. I think Rule was Thaksin’s own words, the other quotes in the body of the news story simply supplement it. It matches his ego and thinking. CEOs rule over a company and their word is final. They make decisions and dictate what is to be done. Does this sound and look familiar to you guys?

Heng, I doubt that you don't remember AMLO case. Not long ago you made the same claim about Yoon's TV, I mentioned the same AMLO, and John mentioned his same memory. Deja vu. Maybe you are getting old and lost your usual sharpness for which fresh out of AUA Heng was known for.

Suriya is Suriya Juruengkrit, TRT secretary general, Thaksin's airport man and golfing buddy. He managed to buy 10% of the Nation. It was about the same time when another Thaksin's buddy Paiboon of Grammy (from buying Liverpool FC days) mounted hostile takeover bid for Matichon and Bangkok Post.

Thailand is not a dictatorship yet. However, if Thaksin had succeded in jailing Yoon for corruption/money laundering/prostitution/drug trafficking - the offences under AMLO jurisdiction, Thailand would be no different from Zimbabwe.

You can't say Thaksin never tried, the attempt was there, the intention was clear.

Why all this attention on The Nation now? JK mistakenly attributed their headline to Thaksin's own words, no big deal, what has it got to do with alleged bias in their coverage?

The word “Rule” I noted only because it does not apply to a democracy. I am not sure if it is a quote or news spin back then, but today is has much more significance. Back then Thaksin’s doings were still below the surface. This was before I came to Thailand, and I was going back in the clippings to just research on the events. This clipping was way back on page 200. I am glad some relevant posts have been added. The word rule would apply to the Finland plan and that is why it caught my eye. It matches the pattern seen today 30 months later. I think Rule was Thaksin’s own words, the other quotes in the body of the news story simply supplement it. It matches his ego and thinking. CEOs rule over a company and their word is final. They make decisions and dictate what is to be done. Does this sound and look familiar to you guys?

Well John K I don't know what you intended to convey in this post but here are your actual words:

"Oh and note the word Rule and not govern, even then he had visions on his mind. Is not the word Rule More or less reserved for someone a bit higher up than PM? It is the little subtle choices of words that give things away."

When I read this it seems to me that you were trying to show Toxin's true state of mind by analyzing some words that were contained in the original post....words that, as it turns out, were not Toxin's own....but were rather the words of the Nation....a newspaper which apparently has a grudge against Toxin (see Heng's post). Did I make some mistake in interpreting your post?

You say that you "think Rule was Thaksin's own words" even though it was pointed out that Toxin almost assuredly composed his thoughts in the Thai language and not in English....or are you indicating that you think that Toxin composed his thoughts on this matter in English?...and then the Thai language newspapers translated his thoughts into Thai language?...and, laying these considerations aside...isn't it presumtuous to think that you know what someone said having never actually heard, and isn't it a bit of shabby journalism to proceed to develop a thesis based on that presumption.....or maybe I'm misunderstanding your original post in which case I hope that you will fill me in on where I have misinterpreted your post.

Do you think that it is possible that the Nation, a newspaper with a longstanding reputation of refuting Toxin, his gov't, and his policies might have used " the little subtle choices of words" to give an impression that Toxin has an inappropriately exalted view of his governance....and done that intentionally. Is this POSSIBLE?

Edited by chownah

What I am saying is to be successful in business and in particular very competitive business you need to have a not take second place mentality. If you look at Thaksin’s track record it says that from the word go. “Anyone in my way I will (your own word) you.” That simply means eliminate all challenges and dominate. Look at Microsoft and Bill Gates if you want to see a comparison. It is simply a state of mind, and in my opinion it matches.

It is very possible the journalist covering did not get every word unless he had a voice recorder. Just because the nation may have it’s own issues with Thaksin, does not mean he did or did not say that. As for Thai English translations, yes some can get lost but I suspect that because English has about 10 words for every Thai word, the problem would be more so from English to Thai and not Thai to English.

If Thailand was a company I would not have one thing bad to say about Thaksin,..... well almost nothing. Again this is my unsubstantiated opinion at this point that saying “Rule” matches his personality. Because I have never met him in person I am only drawing that conclusion from his actions.

Thaksin should have blended CEO style with diplomacy, but instead he tried swapping out the whole Mother board and you can see the results. In his mind he is a CEO and his actions support that.

I don't think Heng is an avid follower of politics, when I mentioned the case of 'Shipping Moo', the whistle blower who claimed Shin corps had intentionally avoided import tax duties by incorrectly filing the imported items in a lower tax category, he said he had never heard of him.

'Shipping Moo' died in an accident in Chiang Rai a few days before he was due to testify before a committee.

The incident attracted a lot of attention at the time.

Heng, I doubt that you don't remember AMLO case. Not long ago you made the same claim about Yoon's TV, I mentioned the same AMLO, and John mentioned his same memory. Deja vu. Maybe you are getting old and lost your usual sharpness for which fresh out of AUA Heng was known for.

Suriya is Suriya Juruengkrit, TRT secretary general, Thaksin's airport man and golfing buddy. He managed to buy 10% of the Nation. It was about the same time when another Thaksin's buddy Paiboon of Grammy (from buying Liverpool FC days) mounted hostile takeover bid for Matichon and Bangkok Post.

Thailand is not a dictatorship yet. However, if Thaksin had succeded in jailing Yoon for corruption/money laundering/prostitution/drug trafficking - the offences under AMLO jurisdiction, Thailand would be no different from Zimbabwe.

You can't say Thaksin never tried, the attempt was there, the intention was clear.

Why all this attention on The Nation now? JK mistakenly attributed their headline to Thaksin's own words, no big deal, what has it got to do with alleged bias in their coverage?

Thanks Siripon. Correct. I rarely even read the papers. Skim Thai Rath, the Bangkok Post/the Nation about twice a week.

Plus, I really don't remember it. I doubt I responded to your post about the AMLO post the first time either. :o Thanks for tracking my sharpness though, I can't say I know even a little about you or John. Anyhoo, I only know of the grudge. And it's not attention on The Nation, just pointing out that there is a reason for their "alleged" (LOL) bias. So Thaksin torpedoed the Nation channel for government criticism, then continued to bully Yoon through the AMLO, yes? Or was it bullying first, then cancelling the station? Either way, knowing this, it's not surprising why you'll find very little TRT government news reported in a positive light through the Nation.

According to the Thai Rath today... (*abbreviated*)...

not sure as I wasn't really paying too much attention as my newspaper reader was reading the article to me, but probably not the best thing to do to mix these two sides unchaperoned at the crime scene.

I rarely even read the papers. Skim Thai Rath, the Bangkok Post/the Nation about twice a week.

My goodness... have you fired your "newspaper reader?" :D:o

not sure as I wasn't really paying too much attention as my newspaper reader was reading the article to me, but probably not the best thing to do to mix these two sides unchaperoned at the crime scene.

I rarely even read the papers. Skim Thai Rath, the Bangkok Post/the Nation about twice a week.

Had to. I found out that he waved off the change from an intersection newspaper vendor as a tip.

Had to. I found out that he waved off the change from an intersection newspaper vendor as a tip.

How horrible of him. But even more horrible for yourself to have to turn those heavy pages and even worse, to have to use your own eyes to read. The horror of it all.

Thank goodness for the "mouse mover", who I assume you still have to operate the computer for you.

AMLO investigation case was secret and came to light only when someone at Bangkok Bank told newspapers about his assignment. Or maybe it was Thai Military Bank, I don't remember.

At first I thought "newsreader" was a little program that reads the content of Internet pages. I think it's build in in Opera, though I've never used it.

The idea that people really employ someone to read for them hadn'd crossed my mind. Now I can picture Heng doing his morning business while the newsreader stands outside the bathroom door and reads it aloud, interrupted by farts and gurgles. Then there are complaints around dinner table: " It's difficult to find litereate help these days - all those Burmese and Cambodians can't read at all"

Oh Thai Chinese way of life.

>>>>>>>>>

Back in 2004 no one would make connections between "rule" and Finland Plan scenarios, not even the Nation.

Thaksin will govern until he gets tired of it and then pass the torch on to another TRT party member.

The TRT party is going to remain the major player for the forseeable future. :D The other parties (place alphabet soup here) can cry and whine all they want but thats all they can do. :o

I had an impression that people use "alphabet soup" when talking about English language schools in Bangkok.

How to abbreviate Democrats or Matichon?

Never mind, Bird Man. It probably doesn't matter to you anyway.

At first I thought "newsreader" was a little program that reads the content of Internet pages. I think it's build in in Opera, though I've never used it.

The idea that people really employ someone to read for them hadn'd crossed my mind. Now I can picture Heng doing his morning business while the newsreader stands outside the bathroom door and reads it aloud, interrupted by farts and gurgles. Then there are complaints around dinner table: " It's difficult to find litereate help these days - all those Burmese and Cambodians can't read at all"

:o ...now you can appreciate why that little comment stuck in my memory from 14 months ago. Astounding, isn't it? :D:D

Thaksin will govern until he gets tired of it and then pass the torch on to another TRT party member.

The TRT party is going to remain the major player for the forseeable future. :D The other parties (place alphabet soup here) can cry and whine all they want but thats all they can do. :o

I'm very envious of your inside connection who has access to the current investigation and deliberations by the Court on to whether or not to dissolve the TRT Party. :D

How much does this type of exclusive insider information cost to obtain? :D

AMLO investigation case was secret and came to light only when someone at Bangkok Bank told newspapers about his assignment. Or maybe it was Thai Military Bank, I don't remember.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, Plus (and for all those interested) my newsreader hasn't been fired. And it's not actually a job position here at Heng Group. The person who reads the newspaper to me (and yes, I sometimes read it myself) is often whoever isn't busy in my office. It may be my clerk, an accountant, etc.

The idea that people really employ someone to read for them hadn'd crossed my mind. Now I can picture Heng doing his morning business while the newsreader stands outside the bathroom door and reads it aloud, interrupted by farts and gurgles.

And the reason why I prefer to have someone to read the paper to me is 1) I read very slowly as I have never formally learned Thai and 2) I like to multitask. Pretty much on the spot though with your picture there. All involved are rather fortunate that my farts smell like roses.

It's difficult unrewarding work for some. For other folks, much less so.

They'll stay in power so long as Thakky's Teslar chip keeps ticking... :o

LUCKY CHARM

PM's Bt30,000 helping hand

Teslar chip will help embattled premier to sleep better, be more calm, avoid tension and improve concentration

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra once wore a popular yellow wristband. Now he has a new accessory.

For the past three weeks, he has been wearing a black Philip Stein bracelet on his left wrist.

The Matichon newspaper reported that Piyapat Voravanit, a son-in-law of Thai Rak Thai Party deputy leader Prayudh Mahagitsiri, gave Thaksin the bracelet. It was understood to have cost Bt30,000. Thaksin's son, Panthongtae :D , has been seen wearing one, too.

Checking out its qualities, it is clear why Thaksin decided to wear the bracelet. Amid the current political uncertainty, he might need something to reduce stress. :D

The accessory is implanted with a "Teslar" chip.

According to the Philip Stein website, Teslar technology was "designed to emit a unique signal that strengthens the body's own natural electromagnetic energy field and helps the body better resist potentially negative effects of external, low-energy electromagnetic fields given off by cellular telephone systems, computers and other electronic devices".

As a result of the "Teslar effect", wearers experienced "deeper, more restful sleep, more calm and less tension, improved concentration, increased levels of energy and an over-all improvement in well-being".

To make the bracelet work effectively, wearers must wear it on their left wrist, the same side as the heart.

- The Nation