60 day extension to visit wife

Afaik all entries can be extended for 30 days to visit Thai wife, i did it last year on a non 'o' and this year i have a tourist, but i have read before that it can be done on a visa exempt.

Edited by steve187

• 2 months later...

The extension is for 60 days not 30. You can get it with any entry but only once per entry. It does not have to be in area of the wife's house book registration. You may be asked for proof of address if not though.

I have read in another thread that I cannot locate and it seems in this thread (unless I am erring) that on a tourist visa (obtained outside of Thailand) you can get a 60 days extension per entry.

I tried this at the chiang Mai office, but they (the front guy who does the triage, anyway) advised me to change it to 30 days.

Can someone find the official regulation or a website that would give a husband of a Thai the right to get a 60 days' extension on a tourist visa?

Thanks.

PS: The people at immigration were courteous and pleasant, but there was one officer (a lady) who had issues with the 30 days extension based on the stipulation of the date of entry on my visa (I had a 2 entry type). She inquired to another officer who disregarded her objection. Later on, I saw that the lady officer did not handle extension. Be careful who you talk to, as the losing face issue could be a problem.

The extension is for 60 days not 30. You can get it with any entry but only once per entry. It does not have to be in area of the wife's house book registration. You may be asked for proof of address if not though.

I have read in another thread that I cannot locate and it seems in this thread (unless I am erring) that on a tourist visa (obtained outside of Thailand) you can get a 60 days extension per entry.

I tried this at the chiang Mai office, but they (the front guy who does the triage, anyway) advised me to change it to 30 days.

Can someone find the official regulation or a website that would give a husband of a Thai the right to get a 60 days' extension on a tourist visa?

Thanks.

PS: The people at immigration were courteous and pleasant, but there was one officer (a lady) who had issues with the 30 days extension based on the stipulation of the date of entry on my visa (I had a 2 entry type). She inquired to another officer who disregarded her objection. Later on, I saw that the lady officer did not handle extension. Be careful who you talk to, as the losing face issue could be a problem.

There is no official regulation other than the clause of the police order that allows the 60 day extension to visit your wife or children.

Perhaps they were trying to do you a favor because the 60 day extension would take you past the validity date (enter before on sticker) of your visa that would not allow you to use your 2nd entry.

You can certainly do it with any type of entry.

Thanks.

There is no official regulation other than the clause of the police order that allows the 60 day extension to visit your wife or children.

Perhaps they were trying to do you a favor because the 60 day extension would take you past the validity date (enter before on sticker) of your visa that would not allow you to use your 2nd entry.

Oh! Really! Thanks!

Forgive me for being a bit "dopey" with this (the smog and the heat will do this to most mortals smile.png), but just to clarify the date of entry stipulation, I believe, was for the first entry. I got this visa in mid-Jan. in my country. On the visa they put down March 22 (enter before on stamp). I entered end of Jan. with the first entry. Since all people from most west. countries have 60 days on a tourist visa, the March 22 stipulation had to be for the first entry because I had until the end of March (as stamped at the BKK airport) to use my second entry. Maybe I was not clear.

Knowing this, do you still think that the police order could have been used and extend my 60 days first entry for another 60 days?

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

All visa have an "expiry" or "use by" date it can clearly be seen.

Once that date is past the visa is invalid.

With a two entry (double entry) tourist visa BOTH entries MUST be achieved prior to the visa expiring.

Do not confuse a "permission to stay" date with the "use by date"

An examination of what is in the passport will make this clear.

22 March on the visa itself means you must leave and make the second entry in to Thailand on the 22nd of March at the latest. If you don't, you lose that entry. So leave and re-enter tomrrow to make use of your second entry.

Thanks.

Oh! Really! Thanks!

Forgive me for being a bit "dopey" with this (the smog and the heat will do this to most mortals smile.png), but just to clarify the date of entry stipulation, but I believe, it was for the first entry. I got this visa in mid-Jan. in my country. On the visa they put down March 22 (enter before on stamp). I entered end of Jan. with the first entry. Since all people from most west. countries have 60 days on a tourist visa, the March 22 stipulation had to be for the first entry because I had until the end of March (as stamped at the BKK airport) to use my second entry. Maybe I was not clear.

Knowing this, do you still think that the police order could have been used and extend my 60 days first entry for another 60 days?

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

The enter before date of March 22 is not correct. Normally tourist visas are issued with 3 months or 6 months validity from date of issue. If that is the enter before date on your visa you will not be able to use your visa for the 2nd entry. You wrote stamp but most places now use stickers for the visa. Check to see if you also has a expiration date on your visa.

You should of been able to of gotten the 60 day extension.

What I was trying to say is that if your visa had a 90 day enter or use before date on your visa the 60 days would put you past that date. Since you have a 2 entry visa you should have 6 months from date of issue to use the visa for the 2nd entry.

22 March on the visa itself means you must leave and make the second entry in to Thailand on the 22nd of March at the latest. If you don't, you lose that entry. So leave and re-enter tomrrow to make use of your second entry.

Really?

But, the BKK officer at the airport clearly marked that my first entry was good until the end of March. He would not contradict the directive of the visa, would he? I have done visa run for years and I never had any issues. I am very sure that the enter before date on the visa was for the first entry. I entered before that date. It is not a valid until date stamp.

In nay case, the issue is about the possibility of extending for 60 days VS 30, I think.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really?

But, the BKK officer at the airport clearly marked that my first entry was good until the end of March. He would not contradict the directive of the visa, would he? I have done visa run for years and I never had any issues. I am very sure that the enter before date on the visa was for the first entry. I entered before that date. It is not a valid until date stamp.

In nay case, the issue is about the possibility of extending for 60 days VS 30, I think.

It is easy to check !

Open the passport and look for the big sticker (or stamp) which is headed "Kingdom Of Thailand"

That visa will have an "enter before" or "use by" date.

The enter before date is associated with the visas life span. Once that date has passed the visa is no longer valid for use.

Edited by thepool

The enter before date of March 22 is not correct. Normally tourist visas are issued with 3 months or 6 months validity from date of issue. If that is the enter before date on your visa you will not be able to use your visa for the 2nd entry. You wrote stamp but most places now use stickers for the visa. Check to see if you also has a expiration date on your visa.

What I was trying to say is that if your visa had a 90 day enter or use before date on your visa the 60 days would put you past that date. Since you have a 2 entry visa you should have 6 months from date of issue to use the visa for the 2nd entry.

Oh! Okay! Thanks!

The issue date was end of Dec. (not mid-Jan.) Sorry! So, yes, they gave me 3 months to use. The enter before was set as March 22 as a result. That has to be for the first entry! I enter before that date (Jan. 29).

So, you believe I got screwed, namely that I should have gotten (at my request) a 60 days extension after my first entry?

How can I argue with them if I don't have anything official that states that I can?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really?

It is easy to check !

Open the passport and look for the big sticker (or stamp) which is headed "VISA".

That visa will have an "enter before" or "use by" date.

The enter before date is associated with the visas life span. Once that date has passed the visa is no longer valid for use.

Who said I had issues checking? :) The topic is about extending the visa (the entries) by 60 days!

Yes, as stated, the enter before print (no sticker here) was March 22. I entered way before that. The 2nd entry is set in relation to the first entry (60 days after that)!

In any case, the question still rests. Is a person married to a Thai on a tourist visa allowed to extend their entries by 60 days for each entry?

Oh! Okay! Thanks!

The issue date was end of Dec. (not mid-Jan.) Sorry! So, yes, they gave me 3 months to use. The enter before was set as March 22 as a result. That has to be for the first entry! I enter before that date (Jan. 29).

So, you believe I got screwed, namely that I should have gotten (at my request) a 60 days extension after my first entry?

How can I argue with them if I don't have anything official that states that I can?

By not utilizing the visa until Jan 29 you effectually lost a chunk of the visas validity.

If you leave and return tomorrow the 2nd entry of the visa can still be used. There is still time enough to arrange the trip.

You were not screwed but maybe just befuddled by the smog !

You need to do a border run tomorrow or you will loose the 2nd entry of your visa. The enter before date is the last date you can use your visa for any entry it does not matter if it is your first or 2nd entry.

You can get the 60 day extension for your 2nd entry if you get it done tomorrow.

Oh! Okay! Thanks!

By not utilizing the visa until Jan 29 you effectually lost a chunk of the visas validity.

If you leave and return tomorrow the 2nd entry of the visa can still be used. There is still time enough to arrange the trip.

You were not screwed but maybe just befuddled by the smog !

Again, unless the several immigration officers who had a look at my visa screwed up (or were taken ill by the smog like I), the visa clearly states that it must be "used" before March 22. I did. The first entry was done on Jan. 29. After 60 days of the entry, I extended it for 30 days (It turns out I could have extended in one time for 60 days per entry). The officer wrote on a piece of paper the scenario. It is very consistent with what I have been doing in the past (except I did visa runs, which is the equivalent).

For those in the same situation, I have included the link to the file that explains the 2.24 rule: link.

Not sure what the de jure and de factor stipulation implies in terms of documentation, but it is writen there, in black and white (actually yellow, but we digress).

So, no border runs, guys, but thanks a lot for giving it a try!

In about 9 hours your visa will be unusable for your second entry. The use before date is for all entries.

Your visas use before date had nothing to do with what you did at immigration. They are not concerned about it when you apply for extensions unless they notice it and suggest you do a border run instead of the extension..

Edit:

(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

No documents needed for this but it is the reason they will want your wife to be with you when you apply.

EnlightenedAtheist

I am uncertain as to the point which is being made.

It would seem that an extension of 30 days was given in accordance with 2.4

Please take note of Ubonjoe's post.

Edited by thepool

my head hurts reading this thread but i will try and explain as it seems the op doesn't get visa's

your 2x entry tourist visa is good for two entries of 60 days each and both entries can be extended by 30days or if married to a Thai national 60 days, BUT both 60day entries have to be made before the use before date in your case 22nd march. ( some 2x tourist visa have a 6 month use before date) you choose to waste some of the use before date and entered Thailand on 29th January giving you a permission to stay stamp until 30th march, taking you past the use before date of 22nd march, which unless you do a border run TODAY you will waste the 2nd entry.

In the future get the tourist visa as close to the travel date as possible, and IF a 3 month use before date visa is given, do the 2 entries back to back and then a 60 day visit Thai wife extension.

60day visit Thai wife extensions can be done on a 30 day visa exempt entry as well as non 'o' and tourist, if applying for a 60 wife extension make it clear on the form thats what you want and take the wife, some immigration offices are taking photo's of yourself and the wife together. no charge for this photo session

In about 9 hours your visa will be unusable for your second entry. The use before date is for all entries.

Your visas use before date had nothing to do with what you did at immigration. They are not concerned about it when you apply for extensions unless they notice it and suggest you do a border run instead of the extension..

Edit:

(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

No documents needed for this but it is the reason they will want your wife to be with you when you apply.

Nope, that is untrue! The use before date is just for the first entry. It would not make sense, otherwise!

It is common knowledge that you can extend your tourist visas either by doing visa runs or asking for an extension (30, if you are not married to a Thai, and 60, if you are). 2 officers at the CM immigr. office would be wrong according to you too. So, would the Rough Guide to Thailand! Why would I believe you? No credentials! Not sure if you really believe what you are writing, but this is dangerous stuff, frightening people for no reason.

You cannot extend visas. Perhaps that is the cause for your confusion. Only a permit to stay can be extended.

The 30 day or 60 day extension of stay does not change the use before or enter before date of you visa.

Edit:http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/content/visaxpiredate.html

What does the Visa Expiration Date Mean? The visa expiration date is shown on the visa. Depending on the alien’s nationality, visas can be issued for any number of entries, from as little as one entry to as many as multiple (unlimited) entries, for the same purpose of travel.
  • This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel for the same purpose, when the visa is issued for multiple entry.
  • This time period from the visa issuance date to visa expiration date as shown on the visa, is called visa validity. If you travel frequently as a tourist for example, with a multiple entry visa, you do not have to apply for a new visa each time you want to travel to Thailand.
  • The visa validity is the length of time you are permitted to travel to a port-of-entry in Thailand to request permission of the immigration officer to permit you to enter Thailand. The visa does not guarantee entry to Thailand.
  • The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand, given to you by the immigration officer at port-of-entry. The visa expiration date has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand for any given visit.
  • Each time you arrive at the port-of-entry, an immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter Thailand.

"When an attempt to use a double entry tourist visa which is beyond its "use by " date is undertaken please let us know the outcome."

After post #26, do you really think he'll come back and admit to the 'uncredentialed' what happens? I don't.

I think the situation has been adequately explained. He's just not listening.

• Like 1

"When an attempt to use a double entry tourist visa which is beyond its "use by " date is undertaken please let us know the outcome."

After post #26, do you really think he'll come back and admit to the 'uncredentialed' what happens? I don't.

I think the situation has been adequately explained. He's just not listening.

Agreed !