Class 1 insurance for cars more than five years old.

Not sure about 20 years old, but I've had first class for my civic every year for the last nine years. Most years I've made claims to get bodywork done and they have never had a problem doing that. Not all insurance companies would do it, so shop around. Is your car in pristine condition? Is there any special reason to get first class? My car is practically worthless now, so I'm not even sure they will offer first class to me next time.

• Like 1

First class insurance will cover damage to your own car in case of an accident where you're to blame or the guilty party does not have insurance or money. For an old car, with not much value, there really is no point in this, 2nd or 3rd class would be much better. And for a 20 year old car also 2nd class will most of the time not be worth it.

Edited by stevenl

Not sure about 20 years old, but I've had first class for my civic every year for the last nine years. Most years I've made claims to get bodywork done and they have never had a problem doing that. Not all insurance companies would do it, so shop around. Is your car in pristine condition? Is there any special reason to get first class? My car is practically worthless now, so I'm not even sure they will offer first class to me next time.

No, I just read that it was quite cheap, and thought I would find out. I have had the minimum insurance for the three years I have had the car, I don't use it except for longer journeys, and reading about all those accidents made me think.

First class insurance will cover damage to your own car in case of an accident where you're to blame or the guilty party does not have insurance or money. For an old car, with not much value, there really is no point in this, 2nd or 3rd class would be much better. And for a 20 year old car also 2nd class will most of the time not be worth it.

Thanks Steven, maybe I will leave it as it is.

Of course everything in this country is open to interpretation but the general rule seems to be ten years, providing the car has been insured in Class One for the duration. ie: it's no good dropping a class for a cheaper insurance band and then trying to get Class One reinstated.

I've got an eleven-year-old Honda CRV which is in good nick so last year, I opted for Class 5 insurance which has a greater coverage if Class One is unavailable.

My advice would be to contact AA Insurance in Pattaya for advice (038 415 795) or email Peter Smith (the main man) on [email protected]

Some of the staff are a bit clueless but Peter is sound and is a Brit. Tell him Martin Smith from Phitsanulok sent you. BTW, he's NOT a relative! :-) Good luck!

I had been driving here for about 7 yrs. on 3rd party insurance until I had an accident about 4 months ago. I hit a motorbike who was completely in the wrong (made an OP on here about it). The old lady had no insurance, no licence, no helmet and whatever else you need. She just came flying out of nowhere right across Sukhumvit Road and as I was in the outside lane for an upcoming right turn when I hit her she came sailing off her motorbike and disappeared into the gully in the center of the road. It gave me the shock of my life and it immediately occurred to me that she must be dead as I couldn't see her anywhere and there was no sounds coming forth.

To cut to the chase It turned out that she was OK but still tried it on saying I was in the wrong. Luckily all agreed, her husband, the police and my insurance that it was she that was in the wrong (I had taken all my own pics. etc.

But the help I got from my insurance company rep was almost nil. He showed up 2 hours after the accident and showed little interest after that. He never even approached the motorcyclist for compensation for damages. Of course I didn't expect any but I thought at least he could have gone through the motions and made an effort. I paid for them myself. I later learned that was because I had 3rd party insurance, if I had class 1 seemingly it would have been a completely different story, they would even have had their lawyer take care of any disputes and it would be all taken out of my hands....whether I was in the right or not.

After posting about it here on TVF I got very good advice so I immediately cancelled my insurance with that company and got 1st class with a different one. I also put a dash cam in the front and another in the back.

For peace of mind I would highly recommend the same for any foreigner driving in Thailand.

They were 1,800 Baht each. Simple to fit just stick them into an adapter and into the cigar lighter. I got them on the corner of Soi 54 and Sukhumvit (if you come out of Makro turn left, just down a little from there)they also do remote locking and alarm, very reasonable and all sorts of other gadgetry.

Normally it is 10 years after which you normally can not get 1st class. May have to shop around to find an agent who will do it but may be a premium price.

I bought an 11 year old car and could have a 1st class insurance at Viriyah. Had it going for 8 years, till I sold the car.

We have had a ranger from new for 10 years and this is the first year that was not able to take out first class, had to take 2nd class, actually not too much difference except not insured if you collide with a buffalo?? plus a couple of other unlikeliness, so would suggest it's 10 years biggrin.png

We have had a ranger from new for 10 years and this is the first year that was not able to take out first class, had to take 2nd class, actually not too much difference except not insured if you collide with a buffalo?? plus a couple of other unlikeliness, so would suggest it's 10 years biggrin.png

When I got my 1st class insurance I asked if I covered if I hit a pedestrian, I was told.... No!

Reading this now as I write it I wonder did I ask the wrong question, what i meant of course was , "Was the pedestrian covered". Had I phrased it that way I wonder would the answer still have been "No". Either way, you would think I would be fully covered in the event, God forbid, with 1st. class insurance.

I just renewed my Class one insurance on a two year old Toyota pickup. The cost was about 19,000 baht. I have two questions:

1. did I pay too much?

2. I am out of the country for six months. Can I suspend my insurance and get a refund, then continue the insurance when I return in June?

Any advice?