Where Will You Be Watching England In June

agsnowdon

John's is alright when they don't serve gone-off beer and then charge you for it. I think I'll have a good look round town first, but perhaps the Vic if it's gonna be a warm one.

How big/many tvs are there in the vic I have only ever been in there once!

Like ya big TVs then :o They've got a fairly decent-sized, although not huge, plasma screen in the centre back of the bar over everybody's heads and perhaps two or three 21"ish TVs dotted around the bar area. In their other place down Loi Kroh, they've got a big screen and even more TVs. Atmosphere okish in the Loi Kroh place, but better in the Vic if it was really busy. if not so busy, perhaps the CM Saloon would be better for atmosphere.

So the vic is pretty much opposite that resturant POP AM and they have another place u mean Johns?

Where u watching the game?

better get ma glasses out

Edited by agsnowdon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a world cup related question - where can I obtain the following:

1. a Paraguay t-shirt.

2. a Trinidad & Tobago t-shirt.

3. a Sweden t-shirt.

:o

That same place where the natives are <deleted> at football and eat that strange dish known as... um... Haggis? :D

John's is alright when they don't serve gone-off beer and then charge you for it. I think I'll have a good look round town first, but perhaps the Vic if it's gonna be a warm one.

How big/many tvs are there in the vic I have only ever been in there once!

Like ya big TVs then :o They've got a fairly decent-sized, although not huge, plasma screen in the centre back of the bar over everybody's heads and perhaps two or three 21"ish TVs dotted around the bar area. In their other place down Loi Kroh, they've got a big screen and even more TVs. Atmosphere okish in the Loi Kroh place, but better in the Vic if it was really busy. if not so busy, perhaps the CM Saloon would be better for atmosphere.

So the vic is pretty much opposite that resturant POP AM and they have another place u mean Johns?

Where u watching the game?

better get ma glasses out

The Vic is out by the Thai Airways office near the northern (middle) Chang Phuak gate, inside the moat, and their other place is called the something? Sports Bar, which is between the tarty bar sections half way down Loi Kroh. John's is over the moat on Moon Muang. Not sure where I'm watching it yet if indeed I do go out, but I'll let you know if I do.

I have a world cup related question - where can I obtain the following:

1. a Paraguay t-shirt.

2. a Trinidad & Tobago t-shirt.

3. a Sweden t-shirt.

:D

That same place where the natives are <deleted> at football and eat that strange dish known as... um... Haggis? :D

:o

[quote name='jackr' date='2006-05-25 23:48:16' post='758024'

The Vic is out by the Thai Airways office near the northern (middle) Chang Phuak gate, inside the moat, and their other place is called the something? Sports Bar, which is between the tarty bar sections half way down Loi Kroh. John's is over the moat on Moon Muang. Not sure where I'm watching it yet if indeed I do go out, but I'll let you know if I do.

Yer let me know if you do go out I shall be up for meeting.

Lets keep this thread alive until the first game so we can all take over somewhere LOL

The other CM Saloon next to UN pub as previously mentioned would get my vote. Its massive as CM bars go and the screen is larger than any I have come across in town, a pretty good combination I'd say. I havn't been there for 6 weeks but it was previously quite so plenty of room for rowdy football fans.

Been away for a while so just catching up on this thread. I'm the Brit owner of the Jai-Yen Cafe on Moon Muang (next to MDs) and have a high mounted 42" plasma which I've plumbed into my surround sound music system. Had the Arsenal/Barca game here a couple of weeks ago and just shut the front gates after 1am - if I know in advance, I stay open, no probs and the beer is cheap too! :o

Been away for a while so just catching up on this thread. I'm the Brit owner of the Jai-Yen Cafe on Moon Muang (next to MDs) and have a high mounted 42" plasma which I've plumbed into my surround sound music system. Had the Arsenal/Barca game here a couple of weeks ago and just shut the front gates after 1am - if I know in advance, I stay open, no probs and the beer is cheap too! :o

Whats ya name I shall pop in and ask for you next time in town

Ashley, my name is Jeff and I am here most of the time between midday - midnight except mondays when we close for a day off (not during World Cup). Will be nice to meet you mate.

BTW, word is that UBC have only paid for WC coverage in Thai - no English commentary. Bummer if true but i plan to put on BBC Radio 5 Live over the internet to get English commentary if that's the case.

Cheers.

Ashley, my name is Jeff and I am here most of the time between midday - midnight except mondays when we close for a day off (not during World Cup). Will be nice to meet you mate.

BTW, word is that UBC have only paid for WC coverage in Thai - no English commentary. Bummer if true but i plan to put on BBC Radio 5 Live over the internet to get English commentary if that's the case.

Cheers.

Bit odd for UBC to be so tight.

Im defo coming to yours for first game which of course cicks off june 10 8pm THAI TIME but I shall be in before to say hi.

Cheers Jeff!

Reading this thread because I have a nasty feeling I am going to be dissapointed!

Read the UBC magazine yesterday and apart from Pizza & S&P ads referring to the World Cup, UBC have graciously alotted 30 mins most nights during the period for "Live Update from Germany" @18:30.

Bangkok Post carried no brighter news, with folks writing in to complain about the matches only being shown on terrestrial tv & WITH THAI COMMENTARY.

Maybe a new thread needs starting? "Where can we see BBC, ITV or Sky Sports?"

Edited by Allyt

> But I know that the CM Saloon has probably got the biggest

> TV in town, trouble is you can't get many people in there at

> the same time

At the Ratwithee Road branch you can. But isn't the place American run? Can't watch footie at an American place, it's just not done. (Well, other than American Football and the Super Bowl, obviously.)

(Even though of course the USA is very much in the world cup and may actually cause somewhat of a surprise even bigger than the last time around when they were *VERRRY* narrowly (and somewhat undeservedly) beaten by Germany in the second or third round. :o

Anyway, no offense of course but most Americans I've met are FAR too reasonable and level headed when it comes to sports. Like suppose team USA gets beaten fair and square. Then they actually say "Well, we got beaten fair and square." "the better team won, we'll have to try harder next time." I mean what fun is that. Compare this to Sergio who nearly turned himself inside out when the Koreans beat Italy, I actually thought he was going to have a stroke; now that was a moment! :D Sport is in a sad state in the USA.. they can't even bring themselves to riot and burn cars and fight with the police on a weekly basis. Sports stadiums are so good spirited family friendly places you'd think they were all run by Disney. :D When are they going to get with the program? :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

here here, i agree. where is a good place to watch US matches?

Cheers.

Have you read UBC are not even showing world cup its only on Thai Tv lets hope you can switch to English commentary.

There always used to be a radio station broadcasting commentary / film score etc in English when it was broadcast in Thai on Thai TV. Back in the 60's & 70's, a friend made a fortune selling TVs with built in radios, automatically tuned to the correct frequency.

Last time I watched & listened in this manner was well over ten years ago though. Not sure if it is still possible.

You can though, as previously stated, tune to Radio 5 live over the Internet to get your commentary.

Been jumping about on the different threads and the situation seems like this (although I stand to be corrected!)

No UBC coverage by Star or ESPN

Coverage on Thai channels (available with UBC packages) but a big question mark as to whether the dual language bit will work to switch to English

No live internet radio feed to substitute the TV soundtrack.

Seems that there is a package available from Dhospaak to hotels which provides English commentary but I dunno if this is in conjunction with UBC and they just "flip a switch" on their computer systems or whether it's another dish/box/subscription e.t.c I'm off to UBC with the missus today to find out what I can and will post again if we manage to get any sense out of them :o

Whatever, we will show the matches at the Jai-Yen Cafe even if we have to put up with Thai commentary!

Cheers,

Pikey

Been jumping about on the different threads and the situation seems like this (although I stand to be corrected!)

No UBC coverage by Star or ESPN

Coverage on Thai channels (available with UBC packages) but a big question mark as to whether the dual language bit will work to switch to English

No live internet radio feed to substitute the TV soundtrack.

Seems that there is a package available from Dhospaak to hotels which provides English commentary but I dunno if this is in conjunction with UBC and they just "flip a switch" on their computer systems or whether it's another dish/box/subscription e.t.c I'm off to UBC with the missus today to find out what I can and will post again if we manage to get any sense out of them :o

Whatever, we will show the matches at the Jai-Yen Cafe even if we have to put up with Thai commentary!

Cheers,

Pikey

What did you find out?

visited UBC here in CM and they said that there is some kind of revised schedule for ESPN and that a "poster" will be issued. I THINK this means that UBC magazine subscribers will get an update to the TV schedule. When I asked specifically whether it would be in English, bith the girls and the guy there said "yes". They also said that if I was watching Thai TV via UBC, then the dual language option would work.

TIT so let's wait for the ESPN schedule update and see what happens....

Went to my local where I shall be watching the England games and I qoute the English manager.

"Went to UBC today and said in other words don't give me any crap is it gonna be in Englsh"

Everyone at UBC said yes but I spose thats like when I said to the thai lady behind he bar can I book a table for next saturday she said yes after 20 mins I said to the manager glad I got my table booked here and he said no bookings for that day sorry.

LMFAO

Went to my local where I shall be watching the England games and I qoute the English manager.

"Went to UBC today and said in other words don't give me any crap is it gonna be in Englsh"

Everyone at UBC said yes but I spose thats like when I said to the thai lady behind he bar can I book a table for next saturday she said yes after 20 mins I said to the manager glad I got my table booked here and he said no bookings for that day sorry.

LMFAO

Am I having bouts of deja vu or did I just see this exact same post in the World Cup sub-forum? :o

Lets hope UBC don't shaft us on this one but it may be an idea to suss out somewhere that can defo get the games with English commentary, as back-up.

LMFAO

Am I having bouts of deja vu or did I just see this exact same post in the World Cup sub-forum? :D

Lets hope UBC don't shaft us on this one but it may be an idea to suss out somewhere that can defo get the games with English commentary, as back-up.

Just had a couple of emails from UBC saying that they defo will not be showing any games and Thai TV will defo be in Thai only.

Hacking into Supersport, South Africa, with a big dish if at all possible, or using something like PPLive (video streaming), seems the only way at the mo' uless someone in this fair land has a last minute change of heart and puts their hand in their pocket :o

> uless someone in this fair land has a last minute change of heart

> and puts their hand in their pocket

Oh well, .......... okay then, my treat. :o

Note that another option is to just get a radio (or internet streaming audio) feed to go along with the TV picture.

I was at the Queen Vic yesterday and again I thought it's a nice place, with very nice staff. Screen is perhaps a bit on the small side (it's a plasma screen alright, but wall mounted and a bit high up)

Then when walking past one of the bars in Loi Kroh I noticed the new screen at Easy Corner... Thought it was a really big plasma screen as LCDs don't really get that large, but upon closer inspection it turned out it was a newer type of Rear Projection screen!! (Rear projection traditionally is pretty naff, and bulky, but this display is really awesome.. (Google "Sony Grand Wega 3 LCD projection"). It's stunning, so much so that I'm considering not looking at plasma & lcd for my own tv.. This type is actually cheaper than plasma for the same size, and the colors looked far less rediculous. Also I would expect a lot of the jpeg/mpeg type blurring/distorting when a UBC DTH dish signal gets shown on such a big screen, but again, it was nothing short of stunning.

So there, what better excuse to watch at a Loi Kroh-ish locale. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

> uless someone in this fair land has a last minute change of heart

> and puts their hand in their pocket

Oh well, .......... okay then, my treat. :D

Note that another option is to just get a radio (or internet streaming audio) feed to go along with the TV picture.

I was at the Queen Vic yesterday and again I thought it's a nice place, with very nice staff. Screen is perhaps a bit on the small side (it's a plasma screen alright, but wall mounted and a bit high up)

Then when walking past one of the bars in Loi Kroh I noticed the new screen at Easy Corner... Thought it was a really big plasma screen as LCDs don't really get that large, but upon closer inspection it turned out it was a newer type of Rear Projection screen!! (Rear projection traditionally is pretty naff, and bulky, but this display is really awesome.. (Google "Sony Grand Wega 3 LCD projection"). It's stunning, so much so that I'm considering not looking at plasma & lcd for my own tv.. This type is actually cheaper than plasma for the same size, and the colors looked far less rediculous. Also I would expect a lot of the jpeg/mpeg type blurring/distorting when a UBC DTH dish signal gets shown on such a big screen, but again, it was nothing short of stunning.

So there, what better excuse to watch at a Loi Kroh-ish locale. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was in the Queen Vic on Sat to watch the match with the missus and get a bite to eat I agree great staff and food.

I thought TV was in a good posistion but a little bit small a few more inches would have made all the diference!

I talked to Ian the owner andhe said about his new place Club House down Loi Kroh so after the game me and the GF went for a stroll down there and saw a good few places with giant TV's.

So now I don't know whether to watch it at the Vic or stroll down Loi Kroh on Saturday and pic a bar with a good TV. I sure imagine there will be more people about down Loi kroh.

Hey Chanchao you wanna meet up same goes to anyone else!

Ash :o

Which bars have the South African tv that should be playing English soundtrack? Irish Pub has it but I don't want to go there. The Pub?, O'Malley's? Only want to see the England matches in bar enviroment. Radio 5 Live on bbc radio will be playing English commentry, so just need to move pc into to my tv room. Listening to cricket right now, & very clear, no break ups & that's on gprs!!! Mind you the cricket's pretty depressing with England collapsing.