Looking for advice on which Samsung phone to buy

tjansen

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my Thai lady friend. She wants to buy a smart phone and has looked at Samsung phones. She would like to spend around 8,000 baht but would go to maybe 12,000 if there were a compelling reason.

She uses Facebook and hotmail. She has the phone choice narrowed down to Ace, Core, Win, and Grand. I cannot help her make the choice as I am pretty clueless in the matter. I have never owned a smart phone.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tom

I'd go with the CORE at 8,000 baht.

Any and all of those would easily handle those uses.

So screen size is a big factor.

The CORE at 4.3 inches is a good size.

If you want bigger the Win and then Grand.

Ace probably smaller than she'd love.

Assuming you want a PHONE not a larger phablet in which case the Grand is getting more towards that.

http://www.siamphone.com/en/samsung/galaxy_core.htm

• Like 2

My Gf has the core.. nice little phone.. One slight downside to all the current low cost Samsung's they are still on a lower version of Android Jelly Bean and Samsung are SLOW to release new updates... the good news is, they have said that they WILL update within the next 18 months.... yay go Samsung..

There are better phones for the money BUT many Thai girls love Samsung.. my gf does biggrin.png

My Gf has the core.. nice little phone.. One slight downside to all the current low cost Samsung's they are still on a lower version of Android Jelly Bean

There are better phones for the money BUT many Thai girls love Samsung..

Android version makes almost no difference. Be it 4.2 or latest 4.4... What exactly is so much better if you have 4.4 Kitkat? Nothing. Very minor differerences. Unless u are hardcore gamer.

If I was to hand you an Android, and you use ut for 30 minutes, browsing, messaging, watching movies and online clips, using camera.. I bet you wouldnt be able to tell if its 4.2 or 4.4 Kitkat.

Its the screen size, and resolution, the pixel density that matters. All you really do is look at the screen. So hi resolution displey is what you should be looking for.

Processor speeds above 1.2 Ghz are important only to gamers. Allmost all netbooks used 1.2 Ghz Atom just few years back. Current mobils have more processing power than netbooks. For everyday use such as movies, skype, browsing, Android 4.2 is more than adequate.

And if dont watch HD movies, even pixel density is not important, no need for 1080p

Whats important is screen size, it's the screen that really matters, ram and processor speed have been adequate for past 2 years already. We all use messangers. Most people use smart phones to just make telephone calls less and less.

Phones are replacing laptops now, unless you are working, and need to type fast, multitask, there is no reason to even own a laptop any more.

Large displey = easy to type, small = painful to type.

4.2 or 4.3 or 4.4 who cares!

• Like 2

Hello, and thank you very much for the (so far) four great posts. They are very useful and even more than I had hoped for. If anyone else has input, it will be very much appreciated. I will let you know what the outcome is.

This forum amazes me with the amount of knowledge, experience, and helpfulness it offers on all levels and all topics.

Tom

Grand is a nice phone but low res screen. Grand 2 has recently been released but I'm not sure when it's coming to Thai. It's a nice upgrade from the original one, including an HD screen, so ask around the phone shops, they might know if and when it's coming to Thai.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I must say I LOVE my new Lenovo phone!

4.7 " screen which is quite large in a compact package, higher res, very long battery life.

I think Lenova brand will not impress the status concerns of many Thais though.

It's a bit of an oddball choice. But like I said, I really love it.

http://www.siamphone.com/en/lenovo/s820.htm

Edited by Jingthing

Grand duos is a big screen and very useful for the many with 2 sim cards.

2 sims is a good start, but its all downhill from there..

5" screen is good size, but 480 - 800 resolution is rediculousy low. This was a resolution of phones in 2009.

Displey density 187 ppi is unacceptably low. There is no point for a large screen, if resolution is this low. 5 inch displey is good size, but with displey this size, 480p looks terrible mess, it looks like 2000 baht 7 inch no name tablets from China.

Displey is a blurry mess, browsing web is painful.

Please stay away from Grand, for same price you can buy much better phone.

I'd go with the CORE at 8,000 baht.

Any and all of those would easily handle those uses.

So screen size is a big factor.

The CORE at 4.3 inches is a good size.

If you want bigger the Win and then Grand.

Ace probably smaller than she'd love.

Assuming you want a PHONE not a larger phablet in which case the Grand is getting more towards that.

http://www.siamphone.com/en/samsung/galaxy_core.htm

No no no!

Get a phone with 1080p resolution, get a used one if budget is 10.000 or less.

This HTC One did cost 22.000 in Feb 2013, it milled from solid brick of Aluminium, 4.7" displey.. And listed right here in TV!

Why oh why buy a 480p phone for the same money?

Next to htc one, Grand looks terrible!

I know many people will never buy 2nd hand, but if this 2nd hand phone looks like new, and you getting it for fraction of the retail price.. I dont get it!

Especially if you are considering Grand, 5 inch displey, pjxel density is so low, there is no lower on the market, Grand has the lowest.

Please consider this one:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/electronics/cell-phones/htc-one-4g-32gb-lte-silver-beats-audio-252868.html

The truth is for what this person actually NEEDS in a phone, something could be purchased for 4K baht that would be more than good enough. It's hilarious to me how many people are being seduced into buying much more phone than really need or will ever use. Speaking from experience, but I'm OK with it. I just find it funny.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

the cpu and gpus at the moment are way overpowered for calls ,emails,browsing ,sms,skype etc

i have an s4 and in everyday use its not that much better than the s2 or s3 was

unless youre doing complex tasks or playing 3d games you wouldnt really notice

the differnce

maybe a better camera but the 8mg camera on the s2 and s3 is almost as clear as the 13mg camera on the s4

Grand duos is a big screen and very useful for the many with 2 sim cards.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But also a LOW RES screen.

But also a LOW RES screen.

Yes absolutely right, but I just bought a Grand duos 3 days ago, for I could not find the HTC one dual Sim in Samui, I have an iPhone 4S, honestly I do not see any difference, at least I am very satisfy, the screen size is more comfortable plus I spent only 10.900 B, Android easier to synchronise with Apple then a little while ago. I had iphones 3, 3GS, 4... the 4S was probably the last one!

• Like 1

The truth is for what this person actually NEEDS in a phone, something could be purchased for 4K baht that would be more than good enough. It's hilarious to me how many people are being seduced into buying much more phone than really need or will ever use. Speaking from experience, but I'm OK with it. I just find it funny.

You know, man needs very little. When it comes to smart phones, there are 2 types of users, rational people who won't buy a phone that exceeds their needs, and they are right. Basic smart phone is all any of us really need. Excluding gamers.

Then there is another type of user, a guys very much interested in tech, always after the cutting edge, and there is no rational reasoning behind it, other than that guy wants to play with nicest toy available.

I dont think it is hilarious at all. it is a hobby, being curious in what current top consumer tech is capable. It has nothing to do with what man needs. Man needs bread and water, we can live perfectly nice lives without ever owning a smart phone at all.

There is a poster at TV, Jingthing. He often posts restaurant reviews, he is a foody. Some may find his interest in different food, trying to locate THE best Chinese food available hilarious. I dont, I often read his posts, but not because the intricacies of Chinese soup, but more for great writing style. I understand him perfectly well, alltho Im far from foody, I eat when hungry, and do not get pleasure from well made food. He gets pleasure from perfectly prepared meal.

Being into something is a thing hard to explain, its not really a hobby, and not a fetish.. It is strong interest in something.. Most people have something that gives them pleasure, yes?

This very much goes for tech. There are people who like to play with a device, knowing it is current cutting edge, there is nothing better out there. They get pleasure out it.

It has nothing to with mans basic needs.

• Like 2

I saw an S3 in Tesco the other day for 13k baht, not far away from your price range. I never 'upgraded' from my S2 but if I was looking for a budget smartphone I'd definitely look at the S3.

It may drop a little further as March, and the S5 approaches - IF you can find someone with stock to unload (they're getting scarcer and the more easily found S4's already down to 17k-ish).

You know, man needs very little. When it comes to smart phones, there are 2 types of users, rational people who won't buy a phone that exceeds their needs, and they are right. Basic smart phone is all any of us really need. Excluding gamers.

Then there is another type of user, a guys very much interested in tech, always after the cutting edge, and there is no rational reasoning behind it, other than that guy wants to play with nicest toy available.

I dont think it is hilarious at all. it is a hobby, being curious in what current top consumer tech is capable. It has nothing to do with what man needs. Man needs bread and water, we can live perfectly nice lives without ever owning a smart phone at all.

There is a poster at TV, Jingthing. He often posts restaurant reviews, he is a foody. Some may find his interest in different food, trying to locate THE best Chinese food available hilarious. I dont, I often read his posts, but not because the intricacies of Chinese soup, but more for great writing style. I understand him perfectly well, alltho Im far from foody, I eat when hungry, and do not get pleasure from well made food. He gets pleasure from perfectly prepared meal.

Being into something is a thing hard to explain, its not really a hobby, and not a fetish.. It is strong interest in something.. Most people have something that gives them pleasure, yes?

This very much goes for tech. There are people who like to play with a device, knowing it is current cutting edge, there is nothing better out there. They get pleasure out it.

It has nothing to with mans basic needs.

He-he,funny post and you are right.

Since top of the range cars and TV's are out of the range for most they can get some satisfaction by buying the best phone money can buy, nothing wrong with that.

I stopped doing it, I had the Samsung Note1 shortly after it was released but it broke down app 1.5 year after purchase. I have had a IQ4 since and it's great so no more +20K baht phones for me.

OP, you should consider the I-mobile range, the IQ's are quite good but there will be no wow factor from her friends, lol.

I don't agree about the food, love good food from all over the world.

A compelling reason to buy a slightly more expensive phone could be a bigger display with higher pixel count and better camera (that's probably the second most used feature after calling and checking Facebook)

I would recommend the Xiaomi MI2A. It has a modern power-efficient Qualcomm processor, 8MP camera, a 4.5" display (720 x 1280) with 326ppi (pixel per inch) and a solid build quality.

It only costs THB 8,995.00 which is very competitive based on it's specs.

http://www.xiaomithailand.com/product/xiaomi-mi2a/

Thanks, Che, but it's still kind of funny.

The people who buy so much more phone than they'll ever use or even understand how to use if they want to fully use it!

To wit, this article today:

But as the devices get more sophisticated — Samsung’s new Android phones recognize “air gestures,” which amount to waving hands above the screen — there are hordes of users who can barely keep up. Sixty-two percent of Americans now own a smartphone, a Gallup poll shows. For many of them, smartphones are confounding and intimidating, and they often wind up just using the phones as expensive cameras that can make calls — if they don’t hide the phone icon by accident.

And lest anyone think the technological stumbling blocks are limited to senior citizens, consider the example of a 41-year-old interior designer in Montgomery County who is so embarrassed at her smartphone ineptitude that she would only allow her first name — Jennifer — to be used in explaining the repeated trouble she once had snapping photos.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/smartphones-get-more-sophisticated-but-their-owners-do-not/2014/01/15/99d7e100-7a20-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html

• Like 1

Che? Does it really sound such radical revolutionary?

I thought about it for an hour, and it is still not funny to me. Its like saying people who collect butterflies are funny. People have hobbies.

It is funny if a Thai chick pulls out Note 3, just to click on Facebook app, and make occasional phone call. She needs Note 3, cos all her girlfriends have Note 3, and she couldn't show her face w/o owning one too. Or if iPhone, it better be 5s, or she risks being laughed at and shut out of her social circle.

So maybe not even funny, more like sad.

Ok, lets hope poster JT will never find his ideal, perfect Chinese kitchen, and that guy into gadgets never finds a perfect phone, tablet, or a notebook.

Better enjoy relentless pursuit of perfection, yes? What if we find it? Sit and feel bored, who needs that.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

Che? Does it really sound such radical revolutionary?

I thought about it for an hour, and it is still not funny to me. Its like saying people who collect butterflies are funny. People have hobbies.

It is funny if a Thai chick pulls out Note 3, just to click on Facebook app, and make occasional phone call. She needs Note 3, cos all her girlfriends have Note 3, and she couldn't show her face w/o owning one too. Or if iPhone, it better be 5s, or she risks being laughed at and shut out of her social circle.

So maybe not even funny, more like sad.

Ok, lets hope poster JT will never find his ideal, perfect Chinese kitchen, and that guy into gadgets never finds a perfect phone, tablet, or a notebook.

Better enjoy relentless pursuit of perfection, yes? What if we find it? Sit and feel bored, who needs that.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes that status thing which is very real is sad-funny not ha ha funny. Those people are generally not techno-hobbyists. Che in the same affectionate sense as used in Argentina meaning Buddy.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my Thai lady friend. She wants to buy a smart phone and has looked at Samsung phones. She would like to spend around 8,000 baht but would go to maybe 12,000 if there were a compelling reason.

She uses Facebook and hotmail. She has the phone choice narrowed down to Ace, Core, Win, and Grand. I cannot help her make the choice as I am pretty clueless in the matter. I have never owned a smart phone.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tom

Why is she asking you if you are clueless?

Give her the money, if that is indeed the case, and let her try different models in shops before deciding.

• 1 month later...