Israel's Ariel Sharon reportedly near death

webfact

Ariel Sharon reportedly near death
Jodi Rudoren

Jerusalem: -- Ariel Sharon, the former prime minister of Israel who has been comatose for nearly eight years, edged closer to death Wednesday evening, suffering from kidney failure.

A spokesman for the hospital that has been treating Sharon, 85, said that "there has been a deterioration in his medical condition."

A person who had been briefed on the situation but spoke on the condition of anonymity because of its delicacy, said Sharon had suffered a setback about a month ago and spent two weeks in intensive care after emergency surgery, then seemed to have stabilised before the most recent turn.

"It looks pretty bad, but it's not a matter of hours," said another person with knowledge of his condition who also spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Sharon, a controversial military commander who rose to hold many of his nation's top positions, suffered a stroke after shaking up Israeli politics at the height of his power.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/ariel-sharon-reportedly-near-death-20140102-hv7be.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-02

Well it doesn't look very likely that he'll ever come out of the coma and that an imminent departure is on the cards.

Sad for his family and those close to him but after 8 years of absence from the political arena it's not likely that his death would affect politics in Israel or the rest of the world.

• Like 1

He's not my favorite Israeli PM but what I'm wondering about now is what was the point of keeping him "alive" so long? Medically speaking, was there ever really a chance of recovery during those eight years (he isn't/wasn't Catholic after all)? I haven't been following his story and hadn't realized he wasn't "dead" officially yet.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know that they have 'kept' him alive. Most likely he was in a coma and not on life-support, so short of taking him off tube feeding, he was just in a vegetative state.

I don't know what the laws are in Israel, but in a lot of places unless he had a living-will, he would be kept alive.

8 years is a long time. I have a feeling he was given good care.

The greatest field commander in Israel's history. He had many amazing accomplshments in his life and was still trying to make peace with an intransigent enemy until the end.

RIP.

His main mistake was to be persuaded to unilaterally give Gaza to the Palestinians, the only silver lining to that disaster was the total debunking of the land for peace myth. To those who engage in ridiculous hyperbole as to his alleged transgressions, I would suggest stop drinking the cool aid and look at the behaviour of Sharon's counterparts in every other middle eastern nation.

• Like 2

The greatest field commander in Israel's history. He had many amazing accomplshments in his life and was still trying to make peace with an intransigent enemy until the end.

RIP.

His main mistake was to be persuaded to unilaterally give Gaza to the Palestinians, the only silver lining to that disaster was the total debunking of the land for peace myth. To those who engage in ridiculous hyperbole as to his alleged transgressions, I would suggest stop drinking the cool aid and look at the behaviour of Sharon's counterparts in every other middle eastern nation.

If Wikipedia version of the history of the policy making on the Gaza disengagement is accurate it refutes your assertion. Sharon was found to have personal responsibility, by the Israeli government, for the massacres of Palestinian civilians by the Phalangists in Lebanon.

I have read a few books on the Arab/Israeli wars & his contributions to the survival of Israel in times of conflict; he was a great military leader.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

If Wikipedia version of the history

Most people realize not to rely on Wikipedia for such things. Anyone can change the content to suit their own agenda or beliefs..

I know, but do you agree/disagree with the events outlined; if disagree, why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel%27s_unilateral_disengagement_plan

If Wikipedia version of the history

Most people realize not to rely on Wikipedia for such things. Anyone can change the content to suit their own agenda or beliefs..

Unless topic is locked.

He had a cool voice and was (is whistling.gif) rather candid on why he thought they should have nuclear weapons... something along the lines of, when certain folks want your country wiped off the map, you do what you can to put them off.

• Like 2

I fail to see how an atrocity committed by the Phalangists in Lebanon does anything to negate the fact that Sharon handed over Gaza to the Palestinians in a genuine attempt to make peace. It was a huge gesture and most Israelis were not happy about it.

I agree with Steely Dan that Sharon made a big mistake with this concession and he would have made a bigger mistake, if he had not had a stroke that put him out of commission.

The fact that the Palestinians elected the terrorist group Hamas to represent them, certainly suggests that he gave them too much credit as far as being sensible enough to embrace the peace process when offered a carrot, rather than a stick.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I fail to see how an atrocity committed by the Phalangists in Lebanon does anything to negate the fact that Sharon handed over Gaza to the Palestinians in a genuine attempt to make peace. It was a huge gesture and most Israelis were not happy about it.

I agree with Steely Dan that Sharon made a big mistake with this concession and he would have made a bigger mistake, if he had not had a stroke that put him out of commission.

The fact that the Palestinians elected the terrorist group Hamas to represent them, certainly suggests that he gave them too much credit as far as being sensible enough to embrace the peace process when offered a carrot, rather than a stick.

Where did I link the Phalangists killings to the Gaza land hand over process? You might be interested on the POV below on why the land for peace process failed, together with contributing to Hamas gaining power. What it does not comment on is the resentment caused by Arafat/PLO endemic corruption that was a factor.

http://peacenow.org/tsws-the-gaza-experience-proves-that-land-for-peace-doesnt-work.html

Continued off-topic posts will earn suspensions. The topic is limited in its scope what is presented in the OP.

Scott, in the AP piece orginally published in the NY Times to which the SMH article refers it does comment on Sharon's involvement with the Gaza 'land for peace' process, quote below. Are still saying it's off topic to discuss?

"An architect of Israeli settlements in occupied Palestinian territory, he stunned the world and his own constituents with a complete withdrawal from the Gaza Strip in 2005"

"Peace Now". Are you kidding? I have more even less faith in their propaganda version of events, than Wikpedia.

Easy just to dismiss out of hand, what do you contest in the opinion piece?

http://peacenow.org/tsws-the-gaza-experience-proves-that-land-for-peace-doesnt-work.html

BTW the Israeli Peace Now movement, Shalom Achshav, was established in 1978, when 348 Israeli senior reserve army officers and combat soldiers came together to urge their government to sign a peace treaty with Egypt. I suggest they do have creditability even though you personally may dislike their POVs.