Where on the northside can I buy a wooden or bamboo bed?

mikey88

Hi.....I have been out to Ban Tawae but the prices for wooden beds seem a bit over the top...I might be wrong...but I would prefer not to pay 16,000 or 18,000 just for a nice wooden bed frame..

I am also up nortgh about an hour and twenty minutes so the delivery charges are high...I was quoted 2,000 for a bed frame from ban Tawae to Chiang Dao...

So.....any places on the northside with good prices..I don't mind the bamboo frames if they are solidly made....

Thanks in advance...

Old Mike

Ban tawae is as cheap as you get., for a quality bed, don't mess about.

I will tell you what 16K gets you.....an mdf crappy bed, an mdf crappy tiny wardrobe and a pointless crappy mdf dressing table.

Perfect chalet bedroom furniture but when a decent mattress is 6k plus why skimp on the bed.

Go an spend 25k if you think you are worth it.

Thanks for that....any more ideas. I'm talking about bedframe not include mattress...but 'Flippant Member'....there were a number of good solid wood bedframes .... Not ply....and they were asking 16,000. That's $580 Aus ....I'll pay it if i have to but I still think that's a lot of money given that many other things here are a quarter the price of 'back home'....

I don't know of a bamboo man over my side of town....anyone help?

I will tell you what 16K gets you.....an mdf crappy bed, an mdf crappy tiny wardrobe and a pointless crappy mdf dressing table.

Perfect chalet bedroom furniture but when a decent mattress is 6k plus why skimp on the bed.

you are joking i think. 6K for a decent mattress? a decent - not a very good one will run 13-16K. anything less ---> = complete garbage.

I found reasonable mattresses for around 8000 at Global House. You do need to test them as most will be far too hard for Western tastes, even the ones quite a bit more than 8000. But we've had foreign guests specifically mention they thought the beds were great.

16K for a proper wooden bedframe is a bit high for Ban Tawai; might as well go to Bangkok Furniture then. (Near Promenada on the Middle Ring). Then you don't end up with a rustic teakwood finish either. (Nothing wrong with a rustic, course finish in an interior that matches it, but then not at 16K)

Maybe what you're seeing right now is high season prices.. they can only make so many teakwood beds in a month..

Or find a second hand teakwood bed and a carpenter to do it up. Did run into an issue that actual old teakwood beds aren't made to accommodate the thicker 20" (?) mattress.. it ends up blocking the little cabinet doors at the bed head. ;) Can be fixed by raising the head side but that's another round for the carpenter and another 1000 baht or so I guess. ;) Fun figuring it out though; looks great and for a lot less than 16K.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for that....any more ideas. I'm talking about bedframe not include mattress...but 'Flippant Member'....there were a number of good solid wood bedframes .... Not ply....and they were asking 16,000. That's $580 Aus ....I'll pay it if i have to but I still think that's a lot of money given that many other things here are a quarter the price of 'back home'....

I don't know of a bamboo man over my side of town....anyone help?

That is strange. Perhaps try some more shops?

I ordered a queen-size at a shop there some months back. Not ready-made, but made to my spec (they said it would take a month, but took close to two, supposedly because some staff quit). My spec was simple enough though. Only slightly extravagant item, though I hesitate to call it that, was the headrest, which was made of teak (rather than hardwood as the rest of the bed) and curved, with a pillow-padding. I think I had to pay 1,500-2,000B extra for that. I paid 12,000 in total, delivered in CM, and could perhaps have gotten the price a bit lower if I wanted to bargain further.

you are joking i think. 6K for a decent mattress? a decent - not a very good one will run 13-16K. anything less ---> = complete garbage.

Maybe some punctuation would have helped.

I said 6k plus.....which is quite correct I believe...and you are equally correct.

If you are looking for second hand teak king or queen sized beds, try calling Ketsunee Suriyang (lives in Bosang) at 0899516013 and tell her Dean recommended her. When I furnished my house, she found all sorts of teak furniture, including 3 teak beds, that she knew that acquantances we're trying to sell.

"Plenty of roadside bamboo sellers who will make to order ... at least 2 within one km of us. But that's Hang Dong Rd/BigC area."

I had a bed made in Bann Tawai, from 'Rattan' or a similar 'Vine'. 6 by 6.5 Ft. Cost about B4,000.

That was 2003.

I am a big guy and the bed is as solid today as day they delivered.

Delivery cost was part of price and I warned them I live on floor 8 and that there was no way the bed would fit in elevator. The Boss had three young lads carry it up. They were that nackered I tipped each B200.

Only failure was I allowed them to buy the mattress another B4,000. I have since replaced it with a US made Sealy, B22,000, best investment I ever made.

john

I agree with the last posting... the best part of the bed should be the mattress. Dont scrimp on that and you will have a far better sleep. Ive had cheap mattresses in the past and end up with back pain every time, I even went so far as to buying a new mattress in a rental townhouse.

As we all a lot of time on our backs (Due to sleep... and not what youre thinking!) then we should get the best that we can afford. Its a bit like footware.... we only get one set of feet and should look after them. Ive seen many results of women who have worn ill fitting shoes and it pains them greater in later years.

Hope you find the frame youre after and have the best mattress that you can afford.