seek advice about depositing money in bank

susanschwaiger

Hello !

I want to deposit some spare money into bank and gain some interest.

Last time, I went to the green bank. But opening an account there I also must have to accept a visa card and pay fee every year.

Then I went to the purple bank (they have good interest rate for short term), but I could not deposit money there because my visa is family visa.

I will stay in Thailand till end of 2014. And I don't want to get a credit card and pay fee every year.

Does any one have experience to share ? Thanks a lot

Edited by susanschwaiger

I think you will find the visa card in the "green" bank is just an ATM/debit card, not an actual Visa as such, and the fee is only 200 baht per year.

The "green" bank is probably the easiest to open an account with.

• Like 1

" I went to the green bank. But opening an account there I also must have to accept a visa card and pay fee every year. "

Presumably you mean Kasikorn and if so that card is not obligatory. You can have passbook savings accounts and time deposits without an ATM card.

<deleted> is with the colors...ever heard of this human invention called "names"?

Most banks will open a savings account with a non-immigrant visa of some sort...not much interest, however.

What's wrong with colours, are you colour blind? I can't claim to remember the name of every bank in town but if you tell me what colour to look for it's easy to find.

I think you will find the visa card in the "green" bank is just an ATM/debit card, not an actual Visa as such, and the fee is only 200 baht per year.

The "green" bank is probably the easiest to open an account with.

Agreed ---- it simply means that the card can be used at any ATM that shows the visa sign. On the back of mine it also shows the PLUS logo. My Kasikorn card worked fine in Cambodia , Vietnam, Singapore, Australia, and maybe in Europe also. To use it as a debit card, say for buying a flight online, the card needs a small amount of extra programing which the bank staff know how to do. Takes about 2 mins and the service was free for me.

• Like 1

Bank accounts here, like in Germany, have an annual charge, of usually 200 B for a basics savings a/c with ATM card.

Interest on savings a/c's is currently 0.625%

Fixed Term Deposits have no fee and pay around 2% for a 6 month deposit.

• Like 1