Are you an Atheist/Believer?

Nepal4me

I wonder of those that don't believe in God, when you are child/loved one is diagnosed with cancer and the doctors say there is nothing that they can do, would you then pray to God?

My personal experience is that people with like minds find each other. The reason that the OP has no friends that are religious is because he isn't. Why would they or he want to be around people they cannot share their beliefs together?

I believe that there are a lot more people looking for something to believe in than not. My generation of people seemed to stray from faith but now those that have no faith often have children that want to understand what their parents reject.

There are those of faith that want to talk with everyone about it, and then there are those that have the same faith but are very private because of the scorn they get from the 7's on your list. It is socially acceptable to be atheist and talk about it, but it isn't socailly acceptable to praise the lord in mixed company. At least in Thailand people accept you and don't argue with you when you share with them.

I'm a 7 with regards to the biblical, all knowing god, as well as the god of thunder and the goddess of war.

But as for non-physical beings, I really don't know, would be interesting to find out they do exist. Not ghosts, werewolves and that sort of crap, but beings that we cannot see or hear.

• Like 2

I wonder of those that don't believe in God, when you are child/loved one is diagnosed with cancer and the doctors say there is nothing that they can do, would you then pray to God?

My personal experience is that people with like minds find each other. The reason that the OP has no friends that are religious is because he isn't. Why would they or he want to be around people they cannot share their beliefs together?

I believe that there are a lot more people looking for something to believe in than not. My generation of people seemed to stray from faith but now those that have no faith often have children that want to understand what their parents reject.

There are those of faith that want to talk with everyone about it, and then there are those that have the same faith but are very private because of the scorn they get from the 7's on your list. It is socially acceptable to be atheist and talk about it, but it isn't socailly acceptable to praise the lord in mixed company. At least in Thailand people accept you and don't argue with you when you share with them.

1. If an unbeliever has a loved one dying and he chooses to pray. That does not make him a believer, it just means he's grasping at any hope no matter how irrational. I'm a 7 and I might pray if my child had cancer even though I really know it doesn't work.

2. Yeah, nothing worse than people that are really pro-religion. My fewer number of friends that do believe are not proselytizers so they're cool.

3. Younger people are straying from religion but their kids are not looking for what their parents reject. That just does not follow. It's like saying, my dad didn't believe in alchemy, I'm going to search that more deeply.

4. This is an interesting point and one I hadn't thought of before. It is now socially acceptable to profess atheism but religion gets scorn. The times have flip flopped things.

I'm in the "not at all bothered by other people's faith" bracket.

While observing with admiration the inspiration so many people of faith find in their faith to live good lives, often making huge efforts for the good of others.

Certainly I feel no threat whatsoever from other people's faith.

• Like 2

I'm in the "not at all bothered by other people's faith" bracket.

While observing with admiration the inspiration so many people of faith find in their faith to live good lives, often making huge efforts for the good of others.

Certainly I feel no threat whatsoever from other people's faith.

So a 4 for yourself on the proffered scale?

I choose to keep my own point on the faith scale to myself, which is I understand something many members would prefer we all did .... Though that begs the question, why does the question of faith arise so often on this forum.

• Like 1

I'm a 7 with regards to the biblical, all knowing god, as well as the god of thunder and the goddess of war.

But as for non-physical beings, I really don't know, would be interesting to find out they do exist. Not ghosts, werewolves and that sort of crap, but beings that we cannot see or hear.

I am a strong believer of the Norse god Thor, as I was born on a Thursday.smile.png

• Like 2

I choose to keep my own point on the faith scale to myself, which is I understand something many members would prefer we all did .... Though that begs the question, why does the question of faith arise so often on this forum.

Because once you step out of the front door you'll need "blind faith" to get where your'e going alive in Thailand.laugh.png

.... Though that begs the question, why does the question of faith arise so often on this forum.

Touch trite I know but ... "why does the question of faith arise so often on this forum?"

... If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything?

I'd waver between 6 and 7. I can respect people's religion, or at least the right to adhere to one, as long as they respect my right not to.

I vary between a 2 and a 3, but am not religious. I like how Charles Krauthammer put it:

" A universe that’s too awesome to be a total accident but also too awesome to be explicable by any human conception of God."

• Like 2