Biography Of Foreign Buddhist Monk In Thailand

tc101

In another discussion someone recommended a biography of a foreign Buddhist monk in Thailand. I made a note of the book and read about it on Amazon but now I can't find it. Can someone tell me the name of the book? Also, please recommend any other books about the experiences of foreigners who come to Thailand to study Buddhism.

In another discussion someone recommended a biography of a foreign Buddhist monk in Thailand. I made a note of the book and read about it on Amazon but now I can't find it. Can someone tell me the name of the book? Also, please recommend any other books about the experiences of foreigners who come to Thailand to study Buddhism.

Another title that has come up in this forum, and one which I find personally more informative and inspiring than Phra Farang, is Richard Randall's Life as a Siamese Monk.

If you can really only buy one, I guess it depends what you are looking for. Phra Peter didn't know much about Thailand, couldn't speak Thai and had no ability with languages. But he chose to enter mainstream Thai Buddhism upcountry. Many of his problems and much of the humour is related to cultural misunderstandings. So it's easy for a general reader to identify with him. No great insights though. He didn't understand a lot of what was going on in the temple, his abbot didn't meditate, and he learnt Dhamma mostly from his own books.

Paul Breiter joined the Thai Forest Tradition and ended up speaking fluent Thai and translating for Aj Chah. His book is about his relationship with Aj Chah so you get a close look at how a master operated and what it felt like to be his student. It might help to know a bit about the Forest Tradition and Aj Chah before reading it.

My life as a siamese monk by richard randall is one. Said to be the first falang monk he writes about his experiences at wat Pak Nam in the early 50's. Very interesting book.

• 3 weeks later...

There is another book which I recently viewed in a Bangkok bookshop. I cannot remember the title, but it was mainly photographs with short commentary on each page. It appeared the Westerner in the book (an academic) ordained many years ago.

Anyone know this one?

Bankei