Is getting married an option?

I don't see anything wrong at all with considering the visa situation in marrying a Thai lady you've been involved with so long! Not sure this is the place to come for morality lectures. The OP hasn't really suggested doing anything illegal. It's obviously a REAL relationship.

But not "Real" enough to consider marriage until the visa situation becomes problematic ?

Anyway the OP now knows he can seek help and information from the Ampur and Immigration.

Let us wish the OP well instead of getting involved in "morality" debates .

Some of us do not consider pieces of paper to be that important in a relationship. If you don't want to help, why bother posting at all? This isn't the general chat section.

I do not believe anyone claimed that this was a "general chat" section.

Pieces of paper might not be important to some,until , shock horror , it is discovered that "pieces of paper" are needed when all other "visa" options have been exhausted.

The OP invited comment in the original post. smile.png

He didn't invite comment on his living arrangements, he asked what the requirements would be for a 12-month extension.

My point really is that it is possible to be in a committed relationship without feeling the need to marry. In such a situation, I see nothing wrong in considering marriage as a means to obtain a visa - one piece of paper for another. There's no shock or horror involved. Personally, I am not old enough to apply for a retirement visa so I am thinking along the same lines as the OP at the moment.

inthepink

See post number 2 !

Seems to be popular

The fact that ThaiVisa is home to a number of people that regularly like to claim the moral high ground is not news to me and doesn't in any way validate your comments, in my humble opinion.

It seems after 10 years, it's about time to get married if you really care about her!

I'm on a "Supporting Thai Wife" visa and I have used 400k baht in the bank without any problems. Note that requirements vary with office, officer's mood, and perhaps phases of the moon. in my experience, the money has to have been in the bank for 3 months for first visa and at least 2 months thereafter. Needed a letter from my bank with my name, acct number, balance and passport number. On the day you apply, deposit 500 or 1,000 baht and then make a copy of every page of your bank book. Since I have more than adequate retirement income, I have also obtained a form verification letter from my embassy which also worked well but cost a little more. There are a number of other requirements but they can vary, so suggest you get a list from your immigration office. Dress like a solid citizen and be polite (follow you girlfriend's lead), provide exactly what they request the way they request it. I've never had a problem, but I've seen the scroungy wise guys get tossed out.

Note that you can get a work permit with a Thai wife visa, but not with a retirement visa. Got bored after a couple of years so changed to Thai wife visa so I could legally work. I've been here 11 years and working the past 8 years.

I've been married for over 15 years and I couldn't ask for a better wife. Best of luck to you.

what job are you doing?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

10 years... Yes, time to marry her. Depends on her and her mood.... We just sign papers and no expensive gifts/wedding dinners/sinsod-s.

NON-O marriage is closest to RP. in terms of freedom. Of course this is not RP, but one and only visa/extension not connected to job. You can work or not work. You can go an back with re-entry.

This is also your dependence to Kingdom. Hmmm.... in 10 years you can have residence already :)

Have you been married before? If so you need proof go your divorce bring that with you, your girlfriend needs a tiabaan from her home to prove where she lives,then find a reputable visa shop go there the will tell you to go British embassy to get a affirmation to marry and I think you pay about 4,0000 baht to embassy, take your paperwork with you, next day the visa shop will take you to get everything translated from English to thai, then the arrange for you to go to the amphur which is like a registry office, if you don't have witnesses they will do it, two hours later jobs a guddin and your married, something on them lines anyway, best of luck. I did it last April piece of piss, chai yo.. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

thanks for this, I'll be getting married this year and didn't have a clue about most of the above.

Have you been married before? If so you need proof go your divorce bring that with you, your girlfriend needs a tiabaan from her home to prove where she lives,then find a reputable visa shop go there the will tell you to go British embassy to get a affirmation to marry and I think you pay about 4,0000 baht to embassy, take your paperwork with you, next day the visa shop will take you to get everything translated from English to thai, then the arrange for you to go to the amphur which is like a registry office, if you don't have witnesses they will do it, two hours later jobs a guddin and your married, something on them lines anyway, best of luck. I did it last April piece of piss, chai yo.. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

thanks for this, I'll be getting married this year and didn't have a clue about most of the above.

I knew even less than you,that's why we got a visa agent to help it cost 10,000 baht, you can do it yourself but be prepared to spend a lot of time traffic jams or queuing in various buildings if your getting married in Bangkok.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Surprising that when the "visa" issue becomes problematic that "marriage" suddenly appears to be the solution !

Or that old favorite, the all-purpose ED visa

ED visa is probably an option too?

Start to learn the language some more, and stay legally?

Getting visa shouldnt be the motivation for marriage, i think. If you havent think of it and being together 10 yrs...

"I would rather go back to school than get married."

These farangs are a rum lot, eh?

Surprising that when the "visa" issue becomes problematic that "marriage" suddenly appears to be the solution !

ED visa is probably an option too?

Start to learn the language some more, and stay legally?

Getting visa shouldnt be the motivation for marriage, i think. If you havent think of it and being together 10 yrs...

"I would rather go back to school than get married."

These farangs are a rum lot, eh?

aye

ED visa is probably an option too?Start to learn the language some more, and stay legally? Getting visa shouldnt be the motivation for marriage, i think. If you havent think of it and being together 10 yrs...
Hey! Every day spent in Thailand is an education in it's self...isn't it?

2 pages of tit for tat. OP did come for answers not a debate. Yes, he could have phrased it better to avoid the scorn patrol.

OP, yes you can get married, in the long run it might not help much. You will need to show your divorce certificate if previously married, an affadavid from your consulate showing that you are able to marry, translated to Thai, and submitted to MOFA. Then with your wife's id, landbook, your letter from MOFA, passport, etc go to Amphur and you are legally married.

Without a marriage ceremony, pictures of yoru life together, etc. it might not get passed by immigration.

To get the 12 month extension, go to your local immigration office. You will need 2 photo copies of everything. Marriage license, wife's landbook, wife's ID, Your passport all relevant pages, bank statement with 400k for 2 months money needs to be wired from abroad or proof that you worked legally in Thailand, map to your house, photos of you both together in your home. You will need to show that you reside together, If your wife's landbook and your current address don't match up, there might be problems, often neighbors will be interviewed, you will need photos of your life together. If you dind't actually have a ceremony, if it is just a paper marriage, it might be investigated and or rejected.

Lucky this is Thailand, in other countries it would still be considered fraud. The reason for marriage is quite important. SInce Thailand doesn't have common law marriages, then living together isn't the same. If you get married for a visa that is fraud in the US, no matter how long you have dated. Fortunately this isn't there, so you shoudl be fine overall.

Off topic comments on blocking ads have been removed.

11) Our contracts with our advertisers prohibit comments with regard to advertisements which appear on our forums. Such comments should not be posted and will be removed. Discussion of software or other methods to block advertisements is not allowed.

• Like 1

Well, I never realised how much debate would happen after I asked for a little information. Yes, we have been together for over 10 years already and we like our relationship status as it is. We don't live together as she has a job in Bangkok in an International hospital there and I live up country. Whenever she has days off she will come and stay with me. She has accompanied me on trips back to my native Ireland two times already. She is not depending on me as she makes her own money and we have separate bank accounts. She sees the marriage certificate as just a document that will help me get a visa, not as a life commitment. Members of my family back in Ireland have offered to let me deposit some of their money in my bank account here to take me over the 800K (I believe they will gain more interest here than back home at the moment) and apply for the retirement visa. I would like to thank everyone who posted useful information.

65000 Bht a month about £1250 income would secure you a Retirement extension.

Getting married to secure a "visa" is a bad idea as is borrowing money.

What security can you offer your , admittedly , generous relatives - Would/could you ever pay them back ?

What happens next year ? Will the money still be in the bank ?

Sorry to be brutal but you need to face reality .

Well, I never realised how much debate would happen after I asked for a little information. Yes, we have been together for over 10 years already and we like our relationship status as it is. We don't live together as she has a job in Bangkok in an International hospital there and I live up country. Whenever she has days off she will come and stay with me. She has accompanied me on trips back to my native Ireland two times already. She is not depending on me as she makes her own money and we have separate bank accounts. She sees the marriage certificate as just a document that will help me get a visa, not as a life commitment. Members of my family back in Ireland have offered to let me deposit some of their money in my bank account here to take me over the 800K (I believe they will gain more interest here than back home at the moment) and apply for the retirement visa. I would like to thank everyone who posted useful information.

Actually not too bad, mate, only 2 pages, and it hasn't strayed into ending poverty in Namibia. tongue.png

Only thing I thought of is, fast forward and you guys are married and applying for the extension based on marriage.

Within the 30 day review/processing period for that, Immigration is supposed to do a physical inspection of the house to verify address and co-habitation. It may be a simple thing to explain to Immigration up front so, if and when they visit and she's down in BKK, they already know the deal. In our case, at least so far, they've never to come to check, just had us get 2 neighbors to sign some forms and I had to take and submit a photo of each signing it, and a copy of their house book and Thai ID.

At any rate, hope it works out with the bank funds and good luck.

What security can you offer your , admittedly , generous relatives - Would/could you ever pay them back ?

Firstly, I am not borrowing the money as such. I am relocating money that they can spare. I will never spend the money. Instead of it sitting in a bank in Ireland, it will be sitting in a bank in Thailand (probably earning more interest). I am also not borrowing all of the money. It will be £6000 from 3 different people. Yes the money will still be there next year. I do have some income. Not the 65000baht required, but enough to live on.

Firstly, I am not borrowing the money as such. I am relocating money that they can spare. I will never spend the money. Instead of it sitting in a bank in Ireland, it will be sitting in a bank in Thailand (probably earning more interest). I am also not borrowing all of the money. It will be £6000 from 3 different people. Yes the money will still be there next year. I do have some income. Not the 65000baht required, but enough to live on.

Would not the "combi" method of proving finances set out in para (5) of clause 2.22 of Police Order 777/2551 (http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=153821) be the most practical in your situation? For this you would require confirmation letters from both your bank and the Irish Embassy.

Edited by OJAS