Bangkok taxi drivers demand end to protests

webfact

I guess Sutheps "The People" doesn't include taxi drivers with hungry families. Or people on the minimum wage, which he wants to cut. Or stock market investors, who are currently losing money. Or rice farmers. Or Bangkok commuters.

Come to think of it, who does he represent, really?

Perhaps you would care to re-read what you have just written.

Why are rice farmers not getting paid? Why are people on the minimum wage? If all of the corruption in Thailand were to be brought to an end, all of these people would prosper.

And when you have the gall to mention the rice farmers, really...? If it wasn't for this crooked government, there wouldn't be a problem with Thailand's once burgeoning rice market...!!

• Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khun Suthep's speeches asked politely to taxi drivers to pick up fares around outskirt of BKK on the 13th. of January.

Protesters are not paid to attend but they have joined the protest voluntarily. The protesters are from all walks of life.

I am Thai.

• Like 1

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

For "hypocritical" read democratic.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

here we go,another rant about how democracy is working.you're so out of touch

If there are enough taxi drivers they could close down the streets near Suthep's rally site. A typical case of somnamnaa. Never leave till the food is finished. One problem given the fact that Suthep is as fat as an elephant it will take a few months before he has depleted his reserves.

The headline should read: 20 taxi drivers demand an end of the protests as they can no longer afford to turn down every second passenger.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or maybe the headline should read: 20 taxidrivers ( and many with them) fear for their future with Sutheps feudal-democracy in place!!post-137512-0-77448100-1388810374_thumb.

Wonder why??

what the taxi drivers should do it block the way so that the protesters can not go t their designed routes.

What, you mean block the traffic like they do on a daily basis?

Yes taxi drivers block far more roads as the protesters.

Just look how they park at bus stops and other places taking one lane away from traffic, then parking next to that lane again to pick up.. they and minivan and bus drivers are the worst pests for blocking roads.

• Like 2

At last.

The real "populace" are speaking.

Those who stand to lose the very daily rice they put on their families tables due to the selfish actions of an elite minority and its paid canon-fodder, should the capital be further disrupted.

Forget the Army and forget the Police, you really, really, really don't wanna upset the taxi/MC brigade.

You'll barely be able to sit down for a week, if you do.

Nice 1.

The real populace are starting to speak.

All we need now are the street-vendors who don't have their carts insured, in order to be smashed by protestors and the bar owners who are in similar position to join them. Not to mention the street girls workers.

Who would voluntarily face down that lot?

Thusep and his ilk will be heading for Dubai, in quick order.

I agree

Suthep has been rambling on how the Majority "The real People" are on his side. Looks like the real people (Not the rich elite) are fed up with him and are hurting and maybe about to give him a far old spanking. There is now a 500K incentive.

How interesting that you can claim that the "real populace" are speaking. A handful of disgruntled taxi drivers is a far cry from the voice of the people..

200K lunatics are a far cry from voice of 68 million people

68 million? I don't think that 68 million are behind any side in the depressing cycle of intolerance, corruption and street politics.

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

For "hypocritical" read democratic.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

You have no clue at all, "it's only the elite!". What a comment to make, you've really fallen for the Red propaganda.

Do we have to explain it your lot all again. Speak to the real people, go outside and speak to people on the street and see why they are unhappy with this Government. This isn't no rich vs poor thing going on, wake up.

The South of Thailand, are they elite? No. Are they poor? A lot of them, yes. Are the majority, anti-Government, yes?

The Elite - a lot of them are anti the Government, sure. But a lot of the Elite are pro-Thaksin too, a hell of a lot. And what about the Shinatarwa (sic) family, not exactly, trudging the fields every day are they?

Then you have your working classes and middle classes, some who are pro Government, some Anti, some Neutral. Many of these are disgusted with the Government after what they see in a failed Rice Scam robbing their taxes they pay, a Government that continually lies and corrupt to the core and let's not forget the thing that started all this mayhem, a whitewash bill, to make corrupt, deceitful criminals have nothing to answer for.

That my friend, is why the people are upset and taking to the streets. Do the majority of these people like Suthep, from what I hear, not many. They do however, know it's right for this Government to be railed in. If the Government had done its job properly then none of this would have happened. Simple. But no, they got greedy, power hungry and thought of one man, just one man, over the needs and wishes of the people. That's disgusting.

Do you really think the "people" are so upset about the "rice scam" that they are taking to the streets to drive an elected government from office?

Or the ill conceived amnesty bill which was defeated by the senate and dropped by this government?

Are they really on the streets fighting against corruption?

Wake up. This is the PAD and an attempted coup.

An attempted Coup for the Rich like last time

Notice how vague they are about their so-called "reforms."

We've heard a few things though including

Suthep's call for the minimum wage to be reduced from 300 baht back to 200 baht. Good for the bosses.

Removal of voting rights for the poor etc

Endless hate rhetoric

Facebook hate messaging

Collective whipped up mass hysteria.

It will fail.

it worked for Taksin and his red shirt thugs pot kettle glass houses good for goose good for gander etc

• Like 1

The headline should read: 20 taxi drivers demand an end of the protests as they can no longer afford to turn down every second passenger.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or maybe the headline should read: 20 taxidrivers ( and many with them) fear for their future with Sutheps feudal-democracy in place!! [pic removed by me]

Wonder why??

Oh come on, soi41, you can do better than that (I hope). That escalation was initiated by the taxi driver. I do not condone violence but he stupidly asked for it and unfortunately a few guys were willing to serve him.

Ahhh bless their little cotton socks. So their income is being "affected". What about those poor individuals needing to get from A to B, and flagging down a metred taxi, with light on...only to be told by driver he doesn't want the fare coz it's inconvenient!?

Classic 'Thainess', they want it ALL!

Talking of classics, a bike taxi I used for a long time (to get to work), one day just stopped coming to collect me. Apparently he had grand ideas of buying a truck (with a mate) and renting out his truck & driver services, thus getting out of the 'Motorcai-taxi' biz. Miffed, of course, that he didn't pre-warn me, but hey, good luck to him!

That was a couple of years ago...still see him with his bike & vest at Pat-pong. Further, I've witnessed him turning down fares so he can finish his game of Thai chess...facepalm.gif

One wonders what logical process these people actually use, especially when blaming others for their own misfortune.

• Like 2

I think the tide is turning. On a recent trip to Bangkok 4 drivers out of the 6 taxis I used were upset at the curent govt and tried to start pro demonstration conversations with me. I try to avoid political conversations whenever I can. One of the other drivers was too busy on his phone and the last one and I had a great chat about life in general.

This is the first time I've had drivers so openly support the demonstrations. There was a strong red leaning in the past.

The taxis should let the protesters reach the protests sites.

Then lock the protesters inside with a additional taxi blockade.

Then charge the gentle protesters a very high fare if they want to go home :)

The fare would be asked firmly but respectfully, and aimed at making the responsibles of their drop in revenue feel a bit of the pain the inflict to others :)

The yellow thugs would be put on a waiting list (forever).

Suthep would be the only one to get a free ride (to the nearest prison cell) :)

Seriously, if I was taxi driver I would also be quite frustrated to have to drive around people who intend to topple the elected government... Especially if they go in the direction of the protest sites :)

• Like 1

Don't these taxi-drivers realise, there will be a million potential-customers, wanting to get a ride to the demo ?

And then throw-in all Jatupon's Red-Shirt anti-anti-protesters, wanting to rally & make the world safe, for caretaker-governments !

Yay for Increased business-opportunities for taxi-drivers ! rolleyes.gif

...only if they are heading in a convenient direction...giggle.gif

Hey Mr. Dangerfield, calm down a bit.

The populace is not speaking, 20 red shirt sympathisers are speaking.

While I agree that not all taxi drivers are red shirts, I would stake my life that these 20 taxi drivers have an allegiance to the red faction.

I’m pretty sure that the taxi drivers lost more revenue during the 2010 riots but they were not so worried about loosing their money then.

And why would that be, exactly?

Maybe cuz the real populace is tired of the Army continually sticking their collective hand up the backside of their glove puppet and elitist enforced governmental administration for the better good of the few rather than the many.

And please don't tell me to calm down.

I'll do that in my own time, thank you.

SO far the army have said they will not interfere! and 20 taxi drivers do not qualify as the populace, which sort of makes your comments irrelevant! whistling.gif

The taxis should let the protesters reach the protests sites.

Then lock the protesters inside with a additional taxi blockade.

Then charge the gentle protesters a very high fare if they want to go home smile.png

The fare would be asked firmly but respectfully, and aimed at making the responsibles of their drop in revenue feel a bit of the pain the inflict to others smile.png

The yellow thugs would be put on a waiting list (forever).

Suthep would be the only one to get a free ride (to the nearest prison cell) smile.png

Seriously, if I was taxi driver I would also be quite frustrated to have to drive around people who intend to topple the elected government... Especially if they go in the direction of the protest sites smile.png

post-87166-0-42159700-1388814423_thumb.j

• Like 1

About Taxis in BKK.

During my four months stay in BKK in 2012, I had much free time to kill so I chose free buses as my mean of transportation along Sukhumvit road. Most the time I had to wait for at least 40 minutes to more than an hour for one free bus came and many times that those free buses came one after another and drove by did not stop to pick up passengers who were waiting. It did not bother me as much as those Thai people who depend on free buses on daily basis to go to work and to home, I felt sorry for them. At one time while waiting for a bus came at a bus stop in front of Ekkamai Major Cineplex, I was counting how many taxis were on the street. My rough estimation was there were about 70% taxis on the street. The worst nightmare bus stop is the one in front of Ma Boon Klong building where taxis blocking bus lane which is the cause of the worst congestion. I had to wait for almost three hours for a bus to come to go to Kasetsart uni.

I guess Sutheps "The People" doesn't include taxi drivers with hungry families. Or people on the minimum wage, which he wants to cut. Or stock market investors, who are currently losing money. Or rice farmers. Or Bangkok commuters.

Suthep and his group of rich and elite mates who want the country by any means possible. excluding elections which they will never win.

Doesn't it get tiresome pretending that all those protesting about a corrupt, inept and autocratic government are "rich and elite"? What is the point of repeating an obvious lie?

Go on then, give us all an example of a working class person who can afford to spend weeks on the streets of Bangkok campaigning for his vote to be taken away and to have a cut in the minimum wage. The only 'working class' people you will see at a Suthep rally are the deeply deluded and the rent-a-mob who are paid to be there.

If the government is corrupt, inept and autocratic then the way to get rid of it is with..........an election!

Have you not noticed that Sutheps big rallies are at the weekends? Mostly because a lot of the demonstrators are working/middle class people that work the other days;-)

Having a job = elite in Thailand, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Perhaps you would care to re-read what you have just written.

Why are rice farmers not getting paid? Why are people on the minimum wage? If all of the corruption in Thailand were to be brought to an end, all of these people would prosper.

And when you have the gall to mention the rice farmers, really...? If it wasn't for this crooked government, there wouldn't be a problem with Thailand's once burgeoning rice market...!!

This is the kind of casual racism I despise. You clearly share the yellow shirt belief that Thai rice farmers are too stupid to know what's good for them and need a kindly and benevolent fascist junta to run their affairs for them. The fact is that the Thai people, including most rice farmers, have elected five Shinawatra governments in a row. It's so certain that they will elect a sixth that the so-called Democrats aren't even going to turn up to give their voters an alternative.

I might not have a high opinion of how the government is run, but I absolutely respect the inalienable right of the Thai people to elect whoever they want. Anyone who thinks that a bunch of Bangkok cronies appointed by Suthep, the generals and, err, others, would be a corruption free, competent, government needs their head examined.

You ask 'Why are people on the minimum wage?' Because the PTP government introduced it, in defiance of the greedy industrialists. If it wasn't for the minimum wage they'd be getting paid a lot less......duh!

• Like 1

Given their historical penchant for robbing or raping or murdering unsuspecting customers, there's some validity in that.

Evidence please.

Not "I know a man who knew a man who had a brother who's second sister's cousin twice-removed" hearsay.

And even if so, until and unless they are convicted (en-masse according to the tone of your post), their votes are as good as any and their livelihoods equally important to anyone else's.

Or you could maybe say it to their faces.

Evidence? LOL

Google searches of,

Bangkok taxi driver robbery

Bangkok taxi driver rape

Bangkok taxi driver murder

will give dozens of examples of evidence.

Are you really that unaware of their history?

Seriously?

No one questioned the validity of their votes.

Try and keep a grip on things.

I asked you.

I already have Google.

I can seek and validate pretty much any stance I want to take on pretty much any given subject with Google.

Evidence, please.

Absurdity.

If you are wholly unaware of the many instances of wrong-doing by taxi drivers as you purport, there's not much point in continuing as the educational process is too involved and at this point, we can just write off your posts.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty
  • Like 2

Khun Suthep's speeches asked politely to taxi drivers to pick up fares around outskirt of BKK on the 13th. of January.

Protesters are not paid to attend but they have joined the protest voluntarily. The protesters are from all walks of life.

I am Thai.

Not sure if being Thai is really either here nor there.

I've taken some 700 photos so far - on the Sunday protests and around Democracy Monument more recently. On the Sunday the overwhelming majority of those on the streets were the well off and from the middle and wealthier classes. There were a few from lower income brackets but they stood out as unusual. The attached picture is pretty representative:

5hqb.jpg

Around Democracy Monument, the large numbers of older well-to-do women have gone and the crowd, whilst not large now, is mostly students and the like, most of whom don't really look that badly off. It is not a working class crowd by any stretch of the imagination. There are a few groups of fairly tough looking men who I imagine are on payrolls but that aside it's really hard to disagree with the 'elite' description.

Edited by Snig27
  • Like 2

I am Thai.

and living in New York...........................

Evidence please.

Not "I know a man who knew a man who had a brother who's second sister's cousin twice-removed" hearsay.

And even if so, until and unless they are convicted (en-masse according to the tone of your post), their votes are as good as any and their livelihoods equally important to anyone else's.

Or you could maybe say it to their faces.

Evidence? LOL

Google searches of,

Bangkok taxi driver robbery

Bangkok taxi driver rape

Bangkok taxi driver murder

will give dozens of examples of evidence.

Are you really that unaware of their history?

Seriously?

No one questioned the validity of their votes.

Try and keep a grip on things.

I asked you.

I already have Google.

I can seek and validate pretty much any stance I want to take on pretty much any given subject with Google.

Evidence, please.

Absurdity.

If you are wholly unaware of the many instances of wrong-doing by taxi drivers as you purport, there's not much point in continuing as the educational process is too involved and at this point, we can just write off your posts.

I think the point he's making is that you simply can't make such sweeping statements. Saying "their penchant" implies just that and it's really not fair. Many taxi drivers - the overwhelming majority - are decent and very hard working people.

I am Thai.

Not sure if being Thai is really either here nor there.

I've taken some 700 photos so far - on the Sunday protests and around Democracy Monument more recently. On the Sunday the overwhelming majority of those on the streets were the well off and the middle classes. There were a few from lower income brackets but they stood out. The attached picture is pretty representative:

5hqb.jpg

Around Democracy Monument, the large numbers of older well-to-do women have gone and the crowd, whilst not large now, is mostly students and the like, most of whom don't really look that badly off. It is not a working class crowd by any stretch of the imagination. There are a few groups of fairly tough looking men who I imagine are on payrolls but that aside it's really hard to disagree with the 'elite' description.

So where you come from, being an employed middle class taxpayer makes you one of the Elite?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1