Yowling Cats At Night - How To Deter?

I have a nice villa in a reasonably dog-free village. The only very loud noises come at night from the cats chorus. I reckon there's maybe 4 or 5 cats that roam at night. To stop them sitting on the wall and yowling 3 foot from the bedroom window, I sprayed the top pf the wall with WD40. However, this is only temporary. I do have a couple of shih-tsu dogs that sleep outside at night but they don't go around the back where the cats are. Even when one of them chases a cat around there, the cat just sits on the wall watching the all frenzied barking from above!

Any advise on cat deterrents please?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meowing cats at night - it's not a problem. The problem is screaming of roosters in the morning)

Simple solution for early morning crowing roosters. In the previous evening, put the rooster in a light tight box.

My favourate is a 200 litre drum with a lid of sorts. The rooster will not crow until he can see light. Very usefull during a full moon if you want to enjoy a undisturbed sleep. Very important to let the bird out of the drum in the morning. Please use some memory aid so it is impossible to forget and leave the poor trapped bird in the drum all day or worse.

• Like 1

Meowing cats at night - it's not a problem. The problem is screaming of roosters in the morning)

Simple solution for early morning crowing roosters. In the previous evening, put the rooster in a light tight box.

My favourate is a 200 litre drum with a lid of sorts. The rooster will not crow until he can see light. Very usefull during a full moon if you want to enjoy a undisturbed sleep. Very important to let the bird out of the drum in the morning. Please use some memory aid so it is impossible to forget and leave the poor trapped bird in the drum all day or worse.

Those in our village start 2-3am, well before any daylight.

Once one starts the the others within hearing have to respond.

Of course, they are kept as fighting birds.

buy a few night- barking dogs ,that will keep the cats away !

Why can't people find such simple solutions themselves ?

Because not all are blessed with such analytical insight.
Talking about being analytical; my OP mentioned that when my dog chases them, the cats jump onto the wall and watch the dog barking. Then they look over the other side of the wall and see my neighbours two guard dogs doing the same before they jump down into the dog-free garden and slink away. Once the dogs stop, give it about twenty minutes and the buggers are back yowling.

Next?

As much as I want to BB gun the buggers, my yard is devoid of small rocks and I can't find my boys catapult anyway. There's also lots of windows (on other peoples houses) where the 4 backyards intersect, aka kitty corner so I am not about to hurl rocks either since my bowling is worse than Englands... but not much.

Since cats hate water, I will get a super soaker primed for the few times I can sneak up on them. I did a google search and there was a mixture with lavender, rosemary and cinnamon cooked up and diluted with vinegar and citrus elements. Another uses black pepper. Of course these are recommended to be sprayed where the cats prowl but I reckon I can put some in the super soaker as well.

Here kitty kitty kitty....

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Or just mix powdered chili with your used cooking oil - put the mix in a spray bottle and spray it on the top surface of your walls all round - the neat thing about the vaseline is it's slippery so if an angled surface on your wall they slip off and suffer the chili

Posion, Ground up glass?

Some pretty sick people on TVxcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.dBoeWV-ae9.webp .

VERY sick.

And in the pet forum, no less. angry.png

I've heard that citrus will repel cats, never tried it myself. So you might consider planting lemon grass near the place they come as a longer term solution. And perhaps smear some citrus or citronella oil (as in some organic insect repellents).

Dowsing them with water, or spraying it from a water pistol. is also usually a good deterrent, cats hate to get wet.

Do you know why cats yell? They yell before doing sex. That's true.

The male says, nowwwwww!

The female answers, not nowwwwwwwwwwww.

Now, the problem is how to stop them from yelling and not to kill them?

Let me think about that

• Like 1

The long-term solution would be to trap the cats, take them to the vet and have them spayed/neutered. That would put to rest their nocturnal howling.

Maybe a temporary solution would be to buy a Dazzer, an ultrasonic device which we can't hear, but will drive dogs and cats away.

• Like 1

This is the funniest topic ever. It is an exercise in frivolity and silliness . I couldn't stop laughing reading the various suggestions/remedies. I really want more like that where the goodnatured humour is so prevalent.

Glad to be of service. But the only one being frivolous and silly is the tom cat yowling a couple of meters away from the CLOSED bedroom window.

The bugger is getting pepper-sprayed manana. That should stop his farting in church.

• Like 1